Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pittsburgh to DC Trip Competed - Rattlesnake!!

Just finished up my trip from Pittsburgh to DC on the Allegheny and C&O Canal Trails. Great time. On the second day I was riding with a guy named Allen from Pittsburgh. Day two was a long slow climb up to the Savage Mountain Tunnel. As we rode, I saw a large stick on the trail so I kind of squeezed over to miss the stick. Hard on spokes you know. Anyway, as I rode past the end of the stick, I saw the end of it move by my shoe and glanced down......RATTLESNAKE! Anyway, I couldn't get my shoe out of the pedal and just went right over the top of his very unhappy head. Didn't run over him, my pedal just went over the top of him. Allen was cracking up because he'd never seen anyone try to climb out of their back as bad as I wanted too.

Anyway, Tom, you asked about riding up the trail from Frostburg to the tunnel and what it looked like. Here you go:

Great ride. I am posting it day by day at CGOAB in a day or so.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up near that area. We occasionally saw rattlesnakes, usually near berry patches, but not very often.

Definitely not something I'd want to come across on a trail.

So where are the flat'ish sections of the trail? I might give a thought about riding on it when I'm back east in two weeks. But I'm not too interested in riding up an incline for 10-20 miles.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not fair! It was raining when I was at Big Savage. Then again, I guess the rain kept the rattlesnakes off the trail.

Glad you had a good trip. How many days did you take?

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeoooww. Great picture.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would make a nice dinner.....speaking of which, don't forget to let me know about dinner and/or a ride.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who took the picture of the snake?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the picture of the snake. This is the middle picture of three. In the last one he is starting to get mad and was coiling up so we left.

I did the trip in 5 days. Left on Friday and got to DC on Tuesday. Each day was around 70 miles or so. I had no rain during the day when I rode, but it rained every night when I was done. The days were always brilliant blue skies though.

The last day was the worst. I spent the night in Harpers Ferry WV. That night there was a bad storm (I slept right through it), with high winds and hail between Harpers Ferry and Brunswick MD. For a two mile stretch there were several trees and branches down across the trail. Several times I had to literally climb over the stuff trying to carry my bike. Not much fun at all.

TLC20010: I'll give you a call about dinner in a day or so. I am waiting to see if my wife is coming out on Friday as planned.

Tom: It's really not flat in that part of the trail. It's a gradual incline so it's not so bad. If you start in Frostburg, up to the tunnel is only about 6 miles or so. There is actually a smaller one you go through first. The good thing is coming back you have a nice easy pedal.

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
    Great ride. I am posting it day by day at CGOAB in a day or so.
    Mike...What is CGOAB?

I would really like to get more info about your ride. I've gone West from DC and into West Virginia many MANY years ago, but would like to try the route you did.

Thanks for posting!

Chris

P.S. I'll take some snake, Pan Fried with some Scallions please!

P.S.S. I found it! LOL! http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/
    Last edited by ang1sgt; 07-18-07 at 05:04 AM. Reason: New Info
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool pictures; great snake! Thanks for posting your adventure.

Paul

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man you sure make some nice trips Mike, thanks for the pictures. By the way, rattlesnake tastes just like chicken.
    George

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you were using the zoom lens when you took the picture of the snake

Thanks for the ride report. I would love to do the whole trail someday. All I've done are sections near Ohiopyle and loved it.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we have found out that MichiganMike is not half the man that Terrierman is.

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nature raw, with fang and claw!! I love the great outdoors. It sounds like a great ride. Did you have time to take more pictures?
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good pics. Years ago several of us went riding on one of the Pa rail-trails, it was either Jim Thorpe, or a nearby rail-trail. Anyway, there were half a dozen or more folks with "snake bags" and poles. They were capturing rattlesnakes so they could be "milked" to produce serum. We probably would have ridden right over one had one of them not warned us to veer over to the left. He saw the snake, we didn't. Miss those Pa. rail-trails, some beautiful scenery to be enjoyed!