Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First century followed by second! STP report

On Saturday July 14 my wife and I joined 8998 of our closest friends at the University of Washington, Seattle for a 204 mile two-day ride (2230 people rode it as a 1 day ride!)
    The 28th annual Seattle to Portland ride organized by Cascade Bicycle Club had riders from 44 states, England and even Serbia.

This was our first century, and on day 2 our second century, and we lived to tell about it!
    I embraced my "Fredness" and bought a glasses mirror, a bento box type carrier and a larger seat bag so I'd be sure to have arm warmers and a jacket, Cliff bars, a cell and camera, keys, and other creature comfort junk.

Our legs held out, and we'd put on enough miles our rear ends were fine. We'd both purchased new saddles about two months before, mine a Selle Itilia SLK and hers a Terry Falcon.
    Tricia rode her Trek 1500 and i road my Motobecane Le Champion SL. Though I carried a camera, and have been known to shoot while riding, I didn't do much this trip. There were just too many people around, and I was concentrating on my riding.

Riding in a group of 9000 really gives you a look at cycling diversity.
    There was every age, height weight and fitness imaginable.
    We saw bikes that were scary amazing full "unobtainium" zillion dollar machines and bikes that were just plain "Lube my chain? HUH?" scary.
    Among the diamond frames were numerous recumbents of numerous styles, some with windshields and full fabric enclosures, tandem recumbents and the cutest recumbent with a tag-along child carrier that the kid peddled.

With the numerous tandems there were also a couple of -- what to call them -- 3 person tandems?
    There was a even big wheel unicycle and even a skate boarder.

We did see a few bikes that made us wonder what -- or even if -- their riders were thinking. Bikes that had us wondering if they would make even a trip around the block. But we were well prepared having listened to the Fredcast (a way cool cycling podcast) on preparing for your first century. We even replayed Fredcasts 05 and 07 on the drive to Seattle. The STP organizers also have a lot of info on their web site that helped us feel ready for our biggest ride to date.

Though it was 104 degrees two days before, and raining the Tuesday afterward, the Cascade Bicycle Club ordered up perfect weekend weather in the upper 70s. Under the scattered clouds we could often see Mt. Rainier as we rode through Washington.

The midway point in the small Washington town and Chehalis for 2 day riders. We stayed with a really nice family that opened their home as part of a soccer club fund raiser.

Two of the other highlights are crossing the Lewis and Clark bridge into Oregon. The state troopers queue up riders, close the bridge to traffic, and couple hundred riders own the bridge as they pass over. It's done for safety, but the result its a great view and an amazing sight.

Coming into Portland and crossing the finish line makes you feel like you've just finished the TDF. There were literally hundreds of people cheering as we rode in. It was almost embarrassing.
    Because the ride has only one minor climb a day. I'd recommend it for anyone wanting to try a two day long ride, and it seems like an ideal ride for those wanting to knock off 200 miles in one day for the first time.

We had a great time.
    Last edited by cccorlew; 07-18-07 at 09:42 AM.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too cool for school.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! What a great trip that must have been. Congratulations on the experience. Pics please.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report!! Guess you will have to do it again so you can take lots of photos. See, the way to get good photos is to ride faster than everyone else, get ahead of the entire group and then photograph them as they ride past; then catch up, pass them and do it all over . Seriously It sounds like you had a good time and did a great ride (two great rides).

Thanks for the excellent report and also for the heads-up on Fredcast. I am probably the only person on the Forum who didn't know about it. I have now subscribed....makes an excellent counterpoint to my wife's obsession with all the Harry Potter podcasts.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to you and your wife. That's a great accomplishment.

Surely you took at least one picture.....
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK. A couple of photos

When you're the one with the camera, there are no photos of you. But I do have two of my sweet wife, Tricia.
    One is on the Lewis and Clark Bridge (that is my California jersey in teh bottom corner), the other is as we mass at a stoplight.
    I think I need to find a way to mount the camera on the bike!

WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    On Saturday July 14 my wife and I joined 8998 of our closest friends at the University of Washington, Seattle for a 204 mile two-day ride...
    We had a great time.
    great stuff! now we need more Pics!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had signed up to do the ride in one day, but money, time, and work got in the way. I couldn't find a cheap flight, and then wouldn't have been able to stay more than an extra day, so it wouldn't have been worth it for me.

I've always thought it was the 2 day riders that were crazy. After I've done 100 miles in a century the last thing I want to do the next day is to do it again. At least in the one day ride you're kind of stuck if you don't finish so you push yourself to do it. Route 30 is a real drag when you're tired.

I was under 30 when I did it last, so this would have been the first time in a long while for me.

Maybe next year.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've always ridden STP as a two-day ride with a stop over in Vader, at the 120 mile point. I tried to talk my wife into the one day option, but its not going to happen!

She's ridden 20 double centuries here in CA, so I know she could do it; its just that she doesn't want to!

Good to hear you had a good time with 100 miles per day!

Rick / OCRR