User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bugs, pie and ice cream

Although the sky was threatening to dump a few rain drops on us we decided to do the Tuesday night ride....after all this was the "pie ride". Our leader's wife had home-made pie and ice cream waiting for us.

My girlfriend and I decided to take the shorter route of 26 miles so we could get back early before all the pie was gone. This is a flat route through the corn and soybean fields in our area. The bugs were out in full force They were hitting us in the face, getting behind our glasses, covering the front of us and I even had a couple in my ear We finally decided we had enough of them and took a shortcut back to the cars ending the ride with 19 miles.

We drove the short distance to the ride leaders house and were treated to our choice of apricot or strawberry/rhubarb pies. They looked scrumptious and I chose the strawberry/rhubarb with homemade ice cream. Both were fabulous!

I thought I had seen the last of the bugs but I soon discovered a few were hiding in my jersey. I wasn't alone....many in the group were picking these things out of jerseys. They swarm around the corn fields this time of year. You know you're in trouble when you see a large black cloud hanging over the corn field and it's headed in your direction.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew. I was worried that your were going to suggest bugs as a high-protein "sprinkle" for the ice cream.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugs, Pie, *AND* Ice Cream!!!

Makes my mouth water.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to stay away from the pie and ice cream but I can't seem to avoid eating bugs. With the rainy season in full force and me living on the edge of the everglades I frequently have to hose down when I get back from my evening ride to get the little black carcasses off my arms and legs. I am bug encrusted.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    I try to stay away from the pie and ice cream but I can't seem to avoid eating bugs. With the rainy season in full force and me living on the edge of the everglades I frequently have to hose down when I get back from my evening ride to get the little black carcasses off my arms and legs. I am bug encrusted.
    Well, the bugs are more lowfat than the pie and ice cream, anyway.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Doing the locomotive breath, climbing a hill and the bug flys down the throat. It gets caught too far down to cough it out. Don't you just hate having to swallow it down while its still wiggling.

Thats why we need pie and ice cream.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't Bugs, Pie and Ice Cream a country western song? If it wasn't, it should be.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I know an old lady who swallowed a fly,
    I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
    I guess she'll die.

I know an old lady who swallowed a spider,
    That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.
    She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
    I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
    I guess she'll die."

At least it wasn't a horse (the last verses' lyric)!

This came to mind as I have swallowed my share of flying insects. I can't yet bicycle with my mouth closed.