Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did 36 Monday, 52 Friday?

I will try and ride may age this Friday. I did 36 miles on Monday. I would have done more but I had to get home and cook supper. Temp was in the 90's but I'm OK with heat. I drink and sweat A LOT. I only average a little over 10mph. Never stopped for more than a minute of so. I don't think 52 miles will be that difficult. So far my longest has been 38 miles - again, all in one ride without resting more than a few minutes.
    I've been reading everyone's posts about riding centurys. I'm not ready for that. But I am getting tips from you all.
    I rode about 12 miles on the other days this week and I'm going to rest up tomorrow. Then I plan on being on the trail early Friday morning. They are forecasting a high in the low 80's so that should be good. Wish me luck and thanks for all your help!
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    I will try and ride may age this Friday. I did 36 miles on Monday. I would have done more but I had to get home and cook supper. Temp was in the 90's but I'm OK with heat. I drink and sweat A LOT. I only average a little over 10mph. Never stopped for more than a minute of so. I don't think 52 miles will be that difficult. So far my longest has been 38 miles - again, all in one ride without resting more than a few minutes.
    I've been reading everyone's posts about riding centurys. I'm not ready for that. But I am getting tips from you all.
    I rode about 12 miles on the other days this week and I'm going to rest up tomorrow. Then I plan on being on the trail early Friday morning. They are forecasting a high in the low 80's so that should be good. Wish me luck and thanks for all your help!
    You'll be fine; we'll be pulling for you. Before the ride, make sure you have your pie plans made ahead of time, so you're not too tired.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can do 36, then you can do 52. Biggest factor, IMHO, is having a comfortable saddle.

Take it from me, who hit a new record of 40 and then 4 days later did 64 - and it really wasn't that hard. However I was cruising at a pretty low speed on flat terrain, so your task could be a much tougher workout.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy the ride and give us a ride report.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    52? Piece of cake. You won't have any problem at all if you can do 36. Go for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish me luck and thanks for all your help!
    You can do it. Just believe in yourself. I had my first ride in over a week today and I only did 22 miles. I am behind on my weekly goal of 150 miles a week so that 600 miles for this month may not be possible again unless I ride everyday till the end of the month. Remember to reward yourself with a pie after the age ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a 52-miler, I'd take along an energy snack, maybe some granola bars, dried apricots etc., and make sure you stay hydrated.

Good luck. Give us a report.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck and have some of that channel cat in your avatar for dinner when you get back home. You'll do great, you have the right idea with drinking a LOT!. I mean as long as it's water or gatorade or something... at least while you are riding....
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to you. I'll be trying my age, 52, tomorrow. My longest was 42 last Thursday. Hopefully, I'll blaze a trail for you.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to both snavebob and sknhgy. I foresee no problems. There is nothing wrong with stopping for a couple of breaks in a 50+mile ride. It's a ride, not a race.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    Good luck to both snavebob and sknhgy. I foresee no problems. There is nothing wrong with stopping for a couple of breaks in a 50+mile ride. It's a ride, not a race.
    Thanks!

I stopped for lunch in the middle and flew home on the second half. The break did a world of difference.

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of luck to you both, I have total faith that you are ready and won't falter! Have fun also!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snavebob View Post
    Thanks!

I stopped for lunch in the middle and flew home on the second half. The break did a world of difference.

Congratulations!
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to you. I'll be trying my age, 52, tomorrow. My longest was 42 last Thursday. Hopefully, I'll blaze a trail for you.
    Where do you ride? I'll be on the trails around Alton.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you ride? I'll be on the trails around Alton.
    Today I road the river trail from Alton to 5 miles north of Pere Marquette. Then turned around and came back.

I road my age plus 1! 53 miles! This was my longest ride ever. Road it in 4:06. Boy was it humid today. I had to fly the last 4 miles back to Alton as I had to out run a thunderstorm. Made it with 5 minutes to spare and averaged 19 mph on the last 4 miles. I feel great just that my quads are sore from the last push. Drank a lot of water and gatorade today. Ate a few bugs too! Lots of bugs today! Big and hard ones.

Now my goal is a century next year or sometime this fall.

Good luck on your ride tomorrow. The weather should be great!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats to snavebob for a thunderstorm-assisted age ride!!!!

Woo Hoo!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I road the river trail from Alton to 5 miles north of Pere Marquette. Then turned around and came back.

I road my age plus 1! 53 miles! This was my longest ride ever. Road it in 4:06. Boy was it humid today. I had to fly the last 4 miles back to Alton as I had to out run a thunderstorm. Made it with 5 minutes to spare and averaged 19 mph on the last 4 miles. I feel great just that my quads are sore from the last push. Drank a lot of water and gatorade today. Ate a few bugs too! Lots of bugs today! Big and hard ones.

Now my goal is a century next year or sometime this fall.

Good luck on your ride tomorrow. The weather should be great!
    Thats where I ride. I usually go from the Marquette Lodge parking lot to the Piasa bird then back. Tomorrow I will stretch it past the bird in the direction of the lock and dam to make it a 51 mile round trip.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats where I ride. I usually go from the Marquette Lodge parking lot to the Piasa bird then back. Tomorrow I will stretch it past the bird in the direction of the lock and dam to make it a 51 mile round trip.
    That should be a great ride. Going north of the lodge was a bit of a challenge as the road doesn't have a shoulder and the speed limit is 55! Fortunately, it's a rural highway and traffic was very light. Still, when the semi's passed me it was exciting. No problems though. I really like the rolling hills and watching all the waterfowl on the river. Also, saw a doe and her two fawns at the end of the ride. She was looking for a place to hide from the storm.

Next week I am thinking of riding to the lodge and back to the Piasa bird and then riding to the bridge and crossing it.

Good luck on your ride today. The weather is going to be great for you. Hopefully you'll have a tailwind going back up to the lodge.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made it! Did 67 miles! I took off from the lodge just before 8:00am. Had a pretty strong headwind. I made it to the bird, then made my 26 mile, half-way point a few miles past the dam - after getting somewhat lost in the harbor. I felt good so I kept going. I made it all the way to the kiosk under the 270 bridge. I stopped there for water and cookies. Coming back, the wind had shifted so I had a headwind going back too. Lunch was at McDonalds in Alton, then I stopped for ice cream in Grafton. I circled the parking lot a few times to get my trip gauge to go over 67 miles.
    I was surprised that I felt I could keep going at the end. The best tips I picked up were to take snacks and ibuprofen. The ibuprofen came in handy just before lunch after 40-some miles. I only brought two 4oz packs of cookies and that was barely enough.
    Thanks everyone for all your help. If someone had told me a year ago that I would be taking 60 mile bike trips, I would have told them that they were trippin'. It was a fantastic ride.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made it! Did 67 miles!

Holy cow! Congratulations! Way to go! Woo hoo!!!!!

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Congratulations, both of you!!!