Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What will the next ten years bring?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What will the next ten years bring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 10:08 AM
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TEN YEARS??? I'm just hoping for a well broken-in Brooks Saddle on the exercycle at the nursing home!!
Old 07-20-07, 10:25 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
My Madone road bike (for instance) is so light, fast, reliable, user friendly that I have trouble imagining the next major improvement.
A 2008 Madone

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-20-07, 11:14 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
In ten years I'll be more concerned with medical science and healthcare improvements that allow me to keep riding the same baikes I have now.
Old 07-20-07, 11:16 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
For, example, I remember the old Schwinn Varsity. Back in its day, it was considered a real enthusiast's bike for the mass market.
During most of the Varsity era there was no enthusiast mass market. Schwinn conceived and built the Varsity to entice non-enthusiasts into sport cycling. For the tiny numbers of serious adult cyclists in those days Schwinn had the Supersport, Superior and Paramount.

TCS
Old 07-20-07, 12:03 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
In 10 years, 70 will be the new 50
Old 07-20-07, 01:01 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
During most of the Varsity era there was no enthusiast mass market. Schwinn conceived and built the Varsity to entice non-enthusiasts into sport cycling. For the tiny numbers of serious adult cyclists in those days Schwinn had the Supersport, Superior and Paramount.

TCS
I wish I still had my old blue Paramount. That was a sweet ride.
Old 07-20-07, 01:38 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
OK, in 10 years I will br 77. According to your logic, I will actually only be 57. That's neat! I didn't start "serious" bicycling until I was 58, so I get to start all over again.

That will be fun.

I wonder what I will do differently this time?
Old 07-20-07, 01:52 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

I wonder what I will do differently this time?
Use a green font?

Dye your hair red?

Get bent?
Old 07-20-07, 03:00 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil

Dye your hair red?
HAIR?
Old 07-20-07, 03:59 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
In 10 yeares, I'll have a custom jersey made that says, "70 is the new 30."
Old 12-15-17, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
I'm reviving this ten-year-old thread in case anyone is interested in seeing what people were predicting here back in 2007.
Old 12-15-17, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I'm reviving this ten-year-old thread in case anyone is interested in seeing what people were predicting here back in 2007.
Thanks, that was fun. Some of the posters in the original thread have moved on, but it was neat to be reminded of them.
Old 12-15-17, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
YES! Beverly, Blues Dawg, Tom Bombardil, Digital Gee, stapfam, DnvrFox all posting on a purely 50+ style thread. The way that 50+ used to be all the time until got "fixed".
Old 12-15-17, 11:05 AM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil

Before seeing Beverly's post, I was recently thinking of how electronic shifters could be an idea in the making. I would sure rather have something like that than thumb shifters.
Electronic shifting is here now. SRAM has a system that is all WiFi between shifters and derailers, FSA has a partial WiFi and part wired, Shimano is all wired with a battery that sits inside the seatpost, lasts 6 mos. on a charge. The shifting system can be told to automatically move to the large ring and bigger cogs when you run out of low gearing on the small ring, or whatever you want. The shifters have buttons that can change the screen on your GPS computer.

It ain't cheap though, LOL !.
Old 12-17-17, 07:44 AM
Expired Member

Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Cool find! Wonder how many posters in original thread are still riding. Or breathing....
Old 12-17-17, 07:53 AM

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Good idea

Originally Posted by BSLeVan
I found an old wool jersey in the attic, and as I picked it up, I remembered the smell of it when it was wet. This got me to thinking that most of us have been around long enough to see some amazing changes in cycling. The bikes, equipment, clothing, etc. have all changed beyond what I could ever have imaginged when I first got into cycling. I then started to wonder what changes would come along in the next ten years. I know, I'm glad that I no longer have to wear scratchy smelly (when wet) wool jerseys, and brifters make my riding much more enjoyable. But what would I like to see as an improvement in the next ten years? How about you? Any thoughts about what changes you'd like to see in the next ten years?

One thought I've had is a set of handlebars with a strip of super bright LED lights build into them. Someting along the lines of lighting equivalent to a 10+ watt system would be nice with batteries that would last years instead of hours.
Good idea an the handle bar headlights..no doubt the Japanese are stealing your idea already and not gonna pay u any royalties..lol
Old 12-17-17, 08:55 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Bikes with huge wheels at the rear and small at the front, high seatposts and low bars so that you are riding downhill all the time and gravity will help.

Trek, Giant etc. can have that idea for free. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-17-17, 09:18 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Wool jerseys, leather saddles and friction shifters.
Yeah.... and maybe new extra light steel bikes. Maybe made with chromium-molybdenum so the steel could be thinner so even lighter weight.

Don't get me wrong.... I love tech fabrics in cycling clothes, brifters, disc brakes, and modern framed bikes.

But the older I get.... (this is a 50+ thread) the more the old vintage steel can take me places the new bike can't. Of course those places are all in my memories. And reaching down to the bar shifters.... and listening to the sound of the chain as I trim the shifters position... requires little if any extra effort or time. The old bikes are time machines... in a way. And I do love a little time traveling.

I doubt that Bluetooth/wireless push button electric shifters will really make my modern bike, daily riding, any easier. But I am sure I'll find out.
Old 12-17-17, 10:12 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Wool jerseys, leather saddles and friction shifters.

How about this: As cyclists tire of everything being mass-produced, a huge increase in the number
of custom frame builders?
Old 12-17-17, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
LED headlights that focus as well as halogen ones, but are sufficiently low powered to run off a hub dynamo,
That one is spot on.

More efficient hub dynamos
Also worked out. I ride with my lights on all the time, even during the day, because the drag is so low.

Lighter commuter/utility bikes that still retain their practical features
There's a whole class of fully-equipped, belt-drive bikes that aim for this. The rapid proliferation of bike shares address this leveraging subway systems.

Cooler rainsuits for hot summer commutes
Still waiting.

Advanced internal hubs that allow a wider gear range.
Nuvinci and Rohloff are well proven by now. Electric assist bikes also address this by providing extra power on hills.
Old 12-17-17, 03:24 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Cool find! Wonder how many posters in original thread are still riding. Or breathing....
Originally Posted by Hermes
Cheap customized saddles that virtually eliminate saddle pain similar to the Surefoot orthotics and custom fitted ski boots. Electronic shifting with no cables and more gears.
I post in the racing forum on occasion but my subscription to this thread triggered my response. I am breathing and won back to back CA State Championships for Master Track 500 meters in 2016 and 2017 with my fastest time in 2017. It only took 9 years to win an individual event.

Saddles seem about the same as before so I have not seen customized saddles. Although my ass seems to have toughened up enough that I do not need one. That only took 10 years.

I recently put the SRAM Red ETap WiFLy on my 2014 Cervelo R5. My R5 was not drilled for Shimano wired electronic shifting and I did not want to run the wires exposed or drill the frame so I opted for the SRAM wireless solution.

The SRAM ETap works as expected and my results mimic the reviews that populate the internet. The shifting is different in that one moves the rear der inboard with the left shifter and outboard with the right. Pushing both shifters simultaneously shifts the front der.

With thousands of shifts using a different sequence in my brain, sometimes I press the wrong lever but if I think about it, there is no problem and the shifting is flawless.

The conversion changed the bike over to 11 speed and I got the WiFly rear der so that I could run an 11/32 rear cassette.

Other than the shifting patterns, I think it is superior to the electronic Dura Ace. My wife has electronic Dura Ace on her bikes.

I like the very light touch of the shifting and the ability to shift the front and rear ders under full power. I probably do more shifting with the electronic shifting than before but that is a minor point.

Instead of the classic bike in front of the garage door, I did a selfie with my iPhone X.

Old 12-17-17, 11:42 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Electronic shifting is here now. SRAM has a system that is all WiFi between shifters and derailers, FSA has a partial WiFi and part wired, Shimano is all wired with a battery that sits inside the seatpost, lasts 6 mos. on a charge. The shifting system can be told to automatically move to the large ring and bigger cogs when you run out of low gearing on the small ring, or whatever you want. The shifters have buttons that can change the screen on your GPS computer.

It ain't cheap though, LOL !.

My Ultegra 6870 system was $720 above the cost of a 6800 mechanical groupset.

-Tim-
Old 12-18-17, 05:47 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22578 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I post in the racing forum on occasion but my subscription to this thread triggered my response. I am breathing and won back to back CA State Championships for Master Track 500 meters in 2016 and 2017 with my fastest time in 2017. It only took 9 years to win an individual event.

Saddles seem about the same as before so I have not seen customized saddles. Although my ass seems to have toughened up enough that I do not need one. That only took 10 years.

I recently put the SRAM Red ETap WiFLy on my 2014 Cervelo R5. My R5 was not drilled for Shimano wired electronic shifting and I did not want to run the wires exposed or drill the frame so I opted for the SRAM wireless solution.

The SRAM ETap works as expected and my results mimic the reviews that populate the internet. The shifting is different in that one moves the rear der inboard with the left shifter and outboard with the right. Pushing both shifters simultaneously shifts the front der.

With thousands of shifts using a different sequence in my brain, sometimes I press the wrong lever but if I think about it, there is no problem and the shifting is flawless.

The conversion changed the bike over to 11 speed and I got the WiFly rear der so that I could run an 11/32 rear cassette.

Other than the shifting patterns, I think it is superior to the electronic Dura Ace. My wife has electronic Dura Ace on her bikes.

I like the very light touch of the shifting and the ability to shift the front and rear ders under full power. I probably do more shifting with the electronic shifting than before but that is a minor point.

Instead of the classic bike in front of the garage door, I did a selfie with my iPhone X.

Kudos!
Old 12-18-17, 07:45 AM
Expired Member

Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Inspirational, Hermes!
Old 12-18-17, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Bikes with huge wheels at the rear and small at the front, high seatposts and low bars so that you are riding downhill all the time and gravity will help.

Trek, Giant etc. can have that idea for free. Merry Christmas.
You mean like my recumbents?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.