Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What will the next ten years bring?

I found an old wool jersey in the attic, and as I picked it up, I remembered the smell of it when it was wet. This got me to thinking that most of us have been around long enough to see some amazing changes in cycling. The bikes, equipment, clothing, etc. have all changed beyond what I could ever have imaginged when I first got into cycling. I then started to wonder what changes would come along in the next ten years. I know, I'm glad that I no longer have to wear scratchy smelly (when wet) wool jerseys, and brifters make my riding much more enjoyable. But what would I like to see as an improvement in the next ten years? How about you? Any thoughts about what changes you'd like to see in the next ten years?

One thought I've had is a set of handlebars with a strip of super bright LED lights build into them. Someting along the lines of lighting equivalent to a 10+ watt system would be nice with batteries that would last years instead of hours.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheap customized saddles that virtually eliminate saddle pain similar to the Surefoot orthotics and custom fitted ski boots. Electronic shifting with no cables and more gears.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Cheap customized saddles that virtually eliminate saddle pain similar to the Surefoot orthotics and custom fitted ski boots. Electronic shifting with no cables and more gears.
    Isn't that a Recumbent with Memory Foam padding? LOL!
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wool jerseys, leather saddles and friction shifters.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I walked back into a bike shop last year for my Kaitai after -repeat after me- 20 years away from biking, I felt totally out of place... like Rip Van Winkle. When I went back to try out my Reno this year, I had to ask how the shifters worked
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    I found an old wool jersey in the attic, and as I picked it up, I remembered the smell of it when it was wet. This got me to thinking that most of us have been around long enough to see some amazing changes in cycling. The bikes, equipment, clothing, etc. have all changed beyond what I could ever have imaginged when I first got into cycling. I then started to wonder what changes would come along in the next ten years. I know, I'm glad that I no longer have to wear scratchy smelly (when wet) wool jerseys, and brifters make my riding much more enjoyable. But what would I like to see as an improvement in the next ten years? How about you? Any thoughts about what changes you'd like to see in the next ten years?

One thought I've had is a set of handlebars with a strip of super bright LED lights build into them. Someting along the lines of lighting equivalent to a 10+ watt system would be nice with batteries that would last years instead of hours.
    I don't know about years, but Lithium Polymer batteries are available now that have 4 times the capacity of the nicads we were using a few years ago and 2 times the capacity of NiMH batteries considered great today. The cost keeps rising ($250 battery pack) but that will reverse as the product goes into mass production.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cheap GPS with GUI display screens (Graphical User Interface for those of you who are not forced to eat breath and sleep computers.......think windows on you home computer)

Carbon fiber everything.........moulded, not hand layed for lower prices.

And most importantly, another generation of 50+ posters.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere along the line, I don't know if it will be within 10 years, but carbon fiber will be cheap and plentiful. There could be $400 CF hybrids. We're already seeing full CF road bikes edging down to around $1200.

Before seeing Beverly's post, I was recently thinking of how electronic shifters could be an idea in the making. I would sure rather have something like that than thumb shifters.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really doesn't matter what the advances for the next 10 years are. With what I just spent on the BMC the CFOs not going to let me get it.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bikes without chains and Infinitely variable speed "transmissions," and still lighter than current drive trains. Tires that seldom go flat (we're getting close to that now), and a built-in anti dog device.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, the vast majority of bikes in ten years will be white.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Wool jerseys, leather saddles and friction shifters.

And Ibuprofen that doesn't rot your kidneys when taken intravenously

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Before seeing Beverly's post, I was recently thinking of how electronic shifters could be an idea in the making. I would sure rather have something like that than thumb shifters.

Or maybe no shifters at all. Technologies like Fallbrook's NuVinci Drivetrain could be lighter so that no one would even want gear shifters.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Of course, the vast majority of bikes in ten years will be white.
    Watching the TDF- It will be by the Autumn. I am trying to spot the Non- White bikes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy View Post
    Bikes without chains
    Here you go!

Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ten years from now we will weigh a little more, and be slower.

TCS
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Or maybe no shifters at all. Technologies like Fallbrook's NuVinci Drivetrain could be lighter so that no one would even want gear shifters.
    I played the vid on this site and this is interesting. Kind of like the Blackburn Ultra trainer. If they ever get this light enough and with a wide enough range it will catch on. I liked the fact that the rider still controls the position of the power trasfer(the auto shift schemes just do not work that well). Electronic shifting and even more choices in frame materials will be the rage. Unless stronger materials are found, 10 speed is the limit although everyone will try to sell you a 12 speed or whatever.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    I played the vid on this site and this is interesting. Kind of like the Blackburn Ultra trainer. If they ever get this light enough and with a wide enough range it will catch on. I liked the fact that the rider still controls the position of the power trasfer(the auto shift schemes just do not work that well). Electronic shifting and even more choices in frame materials will be the rage. Unless stronger materials are found, 10 speed is the limit although everyone will try to sell you a 12 speed or whatever.
    It would seem though that you need some form of power generator to drive all these electrics. Shimano's auto transmission (either for sale or under test in Europe) has a small computer and electronic dash panel on the handlebar and a power generator in the front hub. Since all power on the bike ultimately comes from your legs then by some amount you will get slower and have to pedal harder. Might be ok for an around town commuter but it will be a while before it catches on with a lot of riders.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about an anti-gravity device built into your bike? I wouldn't mind riding a bike with an effective weight of one pound.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, adding motors to bikes.
    Adding two more wheels for stability.
    Enclosing them for weather protection.
    Adding additional seats.
    adding air conditioning and heating, radio, cd/dvd, seat belts, windows that roll up and down.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the 1960s as a golden age of bulletproof "cruisers" that could carry huge loads and fast, convenient English 3-speeds. In subsequent years, bicycles became more oriented to sports and recreation, which meant inconveniient to use. Just ten years ago, getting a decent utility bike usually required importing it yourself from Holland or Germany.

Thinkg have changed. You can get a Breezer, Kogo-Myata, and others just by walking into a store! The Wall Street Journal has even noticed this increased interest in useful bikes. My hope is that increasing road congestion and scarce parking will continue to drive a demand for "normal bikes." There have been some advances since 1960. LED headlights and tail lights, disk brakes, and lighter materials have improved things quite a bit.

For, example, I remember the old Schwinn Varsity. Back in its day, it was considered a real enthusiast's bike for the mass market. No fenders, ten speeds, an exposed chain that would eat your pants, and a thin, spidery-looking frame that looked like everything had been sacrificed for light weight and performance. One showed up at my LBS this year. I hefted the thing, and it weighed about 40 pounds. The tubing may be small in diameter, but it is basically gaspipe. My modern commuter bike, with drum brakes, chainguard, generator, rack, lights and fenders is lighter. So, bicycle technology really is improving. For that matter, the wonderful old "English Racers" has steel rims and you had to lightly hold the brakes on rainy downhills to keep them dry and working.

So yeah, I'd hope for LED headlights that focus as well as halogen ones, but are sufficiently low powered to run off a hub dynamo, more efficient hub dynamos, lighter commuter/utility bikes that still retain their practical features, and cooler rainsuits for hot summer commutes, and advanced internal hubs that allow a wider gear range.

Paul

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    How about an anti-gravity device built into your bike? I wouldn't mind riding a bike with an effective weight of one pound.
    How bout changing that request to one built into my belt.....

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How bout changing that request to one built into my belt.....
    Right! If my effective weight was one pound, I wouldn't mind that my bike weighs thirty-three pounds.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All kidding put aside, the newest bikes are of great quality and convenience IMHO.
    I have minimum trouble and go on extended trips without worry. My Madone road bike (for instance) is so light, fast, reliable, user friendly that I have trouble imagining the next major improvement.

There is such a thing as Maturity in products. For instance, Ball Bearings have not changed much in a lifetime and there are other mature products which have had only cosmetic changes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast