Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Embraced my inner Fred: got a mirror

I didn't want a mirror. They are so not cool. They are for old people, and after all, I am (cough cough) the new 30.
    But the organizers of the Seattle to Portland strongly recommended one, so I bought a "Take-a-Look" glasses mounted mirror.
    I wore it a day or two before the ride and didn't like it much.
    Then I wore it during the ride.
    It was flippin' great. Surrounded by other riders, riding in an unfamiliar area, while trying to make sure I didn't ditch my sweet wife riding partner was it bit unsettling. The mirror helped a ton. I got used to just glancing up in no time.

When I got home and took a ride without it I kept glancing up for it, and it wasn't there. I guess it takes 200 mikes to adjust, but once I did I really miss it when it isn't there.

I guess I'm a Fred...
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    I didn't want a mirror. They are so not cool. They are for old people, and after all, I am (cough cough) the new 30.
    But the organizers of the Seattle to Portland strongly recommended one, so I bought a "Take-a-Look" glasses mounted mirror.
    I wore it a day or two before the ride and didn't like it much.
    Then I wore it during the ride.
    It was flippin' great. Surrounded by other riders, riding in an unfamiliar area, while trying to make sure I didn't ditch my sweet wife riding partner was it bit unsettling. The mirror helped a ton. I got used to just glancing up in no time.

When I got home and took a ride without it I kept glancing up for it, and it wasn't there. I guess it takes 200 mikes to adjust, but once I did I really miss it when it isn't there.

I guess I'm a Fred...
    Not a Fred, just smarter than the average bear. I couldn't imagine being out on the road without one. I think about the pro riders and know that they've got support vehicles and/or often team members to make them more of a presence on the road. But for solo riding, I want every advantage I can get.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have to use a mirror it's because you're not a very good cyclist. At least that's what they say at Le Forum Des Turques.

But I don't believe them. I'd feel unsafe riding without my mirror. Unless it were in the woods. Probably a good idea there, too, with the increasing presence of bears and mountain lions due to global warming.

Coyote!
    >>> didn't want a mirror. . .so not cool. . .are for old people

I've been bikin' for almost 50 years. There was a mirror on my first bike and on every one since. In that time I've ducked lots of hazards "out there", many of them coming up from behind and viewed in the. . .wait for it. . .mirror. There's a reason we're still cycling at 50+; it's called good sense. I know Fred. . .and you Sir, are no Fred!!!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time I tried eyeglass or helmet mounted mirrors, I end up walking or riding around in circles trying to see in it. For a while I used one that mounted in my bar end but I have a shifter there now. I haven't used one for years. I found them to be as much a distraction as a safety feature. I look and listen behind me and sometimes I just sense that there is something back there.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    I didn't want a mirror. They are so not cool. They are for old people, and after all, I am (cough cough) the new 30 ... I guess I'm a Fred...
    Welcome to the Fred world. I've used a mirror for years and love it. A couple of times I've ridden off without my helmet and gone back to get it, just for the mirror.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Every time I tried eyeglass or helmet mounted mirrors, I end up walking or riding around in circles trying to see in it. ...I found them to be as much a distraction as a safety feature. I look and listen behind me and sometimes I just sense that there is something back there.
    Maybe you are better at sensing cars behind you, but I've found the new cars (especially the smaller imports) are so quiet, many of them make less noise than the wind in my helmet and are really tough to hear. Also, if several cars are passing at once, there is no way I can tell how many more there are.

I got right hooked once (car made a right turn just as it passed), and I really like being able to use my mirror to keep an eye out for turn signals behind me (not that anyone around here uses one).

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can somebody recommend a mirror that works. I've tried a few, and never seem to have good luck.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Can somebody recommend a mirror that works. I've tried a few, and never seem to have good luck.
    I like the "Take-a-Look" under discussion but it needs glasses with
    a stout flat temple. I don't buy glasses without carrying the mirror
    to make sure it fits. I've made enough mistakes.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I know is that the rural road that passes by my house is a popular biking route and I sure wish a lot more of the riders had mirrors, because I "sneak" up on them all the time, without them having any idea I'm right behind them.

I'd say the number of riders without mirrors who sense/hear me and move out of the way before I have to slow down is about 25% of them. The other 75% need mirrors.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a mirror for about 6 months. I found it hard to adjust and in the way. Fortunately, I'm a person that can only handle about one thing in my feeble brain at a time. When I ride, I ride and am able to be conscience of what is happening around me--------this is the only activity that I can do this. I guess stress has to have some release.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If mirrors work so well in a car, then why wouldn't the work well on a bike?

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    If mirrors work so well in a car, then why wouldn't the work well on a bike?
    Because it is so easy to sit in one place and move around in a car and focus on a large mirror. On a bike, the mirror is extremely small and the path is not as straight, at least in my case where I live, as it is in a car. I find is is much easier to depend on other senses. To each is own.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by head_wind View Post
    I like the "Take-a-Look" under discussion but it needs glasses with
    a stout flat temple. I don't buy glasses without carrying the mirror
    to make sure it fits. I've made enough mistakes.
    +1 I have been using this mirror for a couple of years and really am amazed at how far back I can see with it. I have even had luck checking out the birds that sometimes swoop down on me when riding.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card View Post
    Because it is so easy to sit in one place and move around in a car and focus on a large mirror. On a bike, the mirror is extremely small and the path is not as straight, at least in my case where I live, as it is in a car. I find is is much easier to depend on other senses. To each is own.
    I don't know about your bike mirrors but mine are about 3" around. Work just like cars.

My Bikes
    A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the smartest cyclist of all? The one who has the greatest ability to see ahead, behind and all around, that's who. I've tried three or four and found one I really like, the Blackburn oval-shaped one that attaches with Velcro to the outside of the handlebar. You have to experiment a bit to find one that suits you best....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    increasing presence of bears and mountain lions due to global warming
    I must admit I haven't heard that one before.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always ride my road bike with a mirror. It does take some getting used to. I have a "3rd Eye" mirror mounted to my helmet (left side of course to see vehicles overtaking me from behind).
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    http://www.3rd-eye.com

I've had really good luck with the 3rd-Eye Bar End mirror. Works with flat bars or drop bars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all have a dominant eye. Depending on which one of your eyes is dominant, you may not be able to use a helmet or glasses mounted mirror.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    http://www.3rd-eye.com

I've had really good luck with the 3rd-Eye Bar End mirror. Works with flat bars or drop bars.
    I like the 3rd Eye, too. I have both the helmet and glasses mount type. I prefer the glasses mount since I always manage to knock them off the helmets.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    We all have a dominant eye. Depending on which one of your eyes is dominant, you may not be able to use a helmet or glasses mounted mirror.
    You've got me nailed. I tried every setup I could think of to make that take-a-look work, and it just didn't happen for me. Maybe I should have given it more time. Heck, I even tried mounting it for the right eye.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    All I know is that the rural road that passes by my house is a popular biking route and I sure wish a lot more of the riders had mirrors, because I "sneak" up on them all the time, without them having any idea I'm right behind them.

I'd say the number of riders without mirrors who sense/hear me and move out of the way before I have to slow down is about 25% of them. The other 75% need mirrors.
    Get a bell or speak to them. "On your left" or simply "hello" works well.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm talking about sneaking up on them in my car. I'd say about 75% of all road riders, without mirrors, do not detect my car coming right up to being within a few yards of them.

I have no idea how many could detect me coming up on them on a bike, because I could not catch up with any road bikers while riding on a bike.

My Bikes
    Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the Take-A-look mirror for about 10 years and next to the helmet it is the best safety device you can use. I mount mine to my glasses and it took about 10 miles of riding to get use to it.
    I have not had good look with the helmet mount mirrors nor the bar end mirrors[they vibrate too much and I keep knocking them out of focus].
    In the last two years, in my area, there have been two cyclist killed by cars turning right just in front of them. I have seen this situation developing, a few times with the mirror, and avoided the problem.
    I strongly recommend the Take A Look, you can find them at REI if not at your LBS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast