Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I guess I *have* made the leap.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was said here -a while back, when I got my LeMond, I think- that I used to be a musician who rides bikes but now I am a cyclist who plays music. Well, heck, I've even gone a swapped out my avatar, so it must be true

But, since we got the puppy -as you can imagine- my time is not my own any more, it's Roxie's time now.
Something had to give and, yes, I fear it was the music. Music speaks to me but I guess cycling speaks to me more. So, Mrs Kaitai and I worked it out, more or less, and I still get my 3 days a week to ride (including my long Saturday ride, though it's not as long as it was a couple of weeks ago). Now, granted, we need to wean the l'il pup off of us but, for now, we like to have someone around to keep an eye on her. Even so, I'm still managing to get in 40-50 miles a week or more (gosh, a year ago, I was putting in 100 miles a month... guess I've doubled that this year... how'd that happen?)

I guess I didn't realize just how much getting out on those two wheels means to me, how much I NEED to get out and ride. Picking up an instrument and creating sound; writing songs and speaking from the heart and soul, yeah, that's worth something, too, but going anywhere you want to go under no power but my own... the sights, the sounds, the smells... the sweat... that feeling I get when I pull back up to my driveway, a feeling of great satisfaction and regret... you just can't beat that.

And when I see what's happened to my BP in the last week and a half... wow, what more motivation do I need? Actually, I don't know if it's the med change or the new puppy or just accumulated benefit from riding that's finally manifesting itself but my BP right now is unreal. Even my cardio was happy last week when I saw him.

OK, I'm done... now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 07-20-07, 10:02 AM
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried https://www.springerusa.com/

I used to know some people that found this useful for exercising their dogs.
Old 07-20-07, 10:21 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
OK, I'm done... now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
That was a nice break in regular programming

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-20-07, 10:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now, that's an interesting gadget... a little premature for a 10 week old puppy, perhaps.
And actually, getting my riding in hasn't been much of a problem... it's the guitar playing that's the issue.
Now, that said, in a couple of weeks or so, once Roxie is OK with being alone, I'm sure I'll get more playing time in.

When I lived in the Avenues in San Francisco (that would be the Sunset District for all you non-locals... was there ever a more inappropriate name for a district? I don't know) we had an underground reservoir a couple of blocks -well, four blocks- up from our house. Above the reservoir was a little park with paved trails around it... the whole thing was eight square blocks in size. My old Shepherd/Husky mutt -gosh, I miss that old dog- used to stay right by me on the sidewalk as I rode alongside of her. We'd go up to the reservoir and ride/run all around it and then back home. She was the best dog for that...

The whole thing was bounded by 28th and 24th Avenues on the west and east, respectively and Ortega and Quintara and the north and south. It was all uphill going east (1/2 mile @ 4%) and south (1/4 mile @ 5.5%) and all downhill going west and north (duh). It's was a nice little ride.

I had my steel framed Gitane, then -kinda sorry I sold that thing now- and it was a great area to ride (if you like riding in a city. The Sunset was more like the 'burbs, though, than the Big City). This is where I kicked my nicotine addiction. Ahhhh... happy days, indeed
Old 07-20-07, 10:41 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had two passions before cycling: photography and music. Keyboards for me. Since I began cycling, I haven't played the keyboards hardly at all. Perhaps I'll go back to them one day. I loved making music, especially original stuff. But right now, I like cycling better.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-20-07, 10:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I had two passions before cycling: photography and music. Keyboards for me. Since I began cycling, I haven't played the keyboards hardly at all. Perhaps I'll go back to them one day. I loved making music, especially original stuff. But right now, I like cycling better.
I know what you mean, mon frere.
I sure wish I could play the keys...

This biking thing really consumes one, doesn't it? There are worse things
Old 07-20-07, 11:16 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The only advantage I see as to living in a place with real winters is that when the snow flies you have to put the bike away and play music. Of course, I'd rather be able to ride all year.
Old 07-20-07, 12:06 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
How bout putting the keyboard on the handlebar.......a refrigerated box on the back......sell ice cream to pay for the next bike. It helps that your bike is already white................
Old 07-20-07, 12:33 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
How bout putting the keyboard on the handlebar.......a refrigerated box on the back......sell ice cream to pay for the next bike. It helps that your bike is already white................
Now why didn't I think of that????

Old 07-20-07, 01:35 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Get that dog trained and pick up your guitar. You know you can't not play music (double negative intended).
I had managed to keep my cycling and music habits both going for a long time. but when I started the bike club a couple of years ago, I no longer had time for playing in bands. I still jam here and there and play for my own entertainment occasionally. Lately it has been a lot less often than I'd like. I think I'll take your situation as inspiration to pull out the harps over the weekend.
Old 07-20-07, 01:41 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
I think an accordion would do the trick nicely. Strap it across his back and then every 10 miles, stop and play a tune. Perhaps take a tin cup too, to put it out on the ground in front of him when he plays.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-20-07, 01:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Get that dog trained and pick up your guitar. You know you can't not play music (double negative intended).
I had managed to keep my cycling and music habits both going for a long time. but when I started the bike club a couple of years ago, I no longer had time for playing in bands. I still jam here and there and play for my own entertainment occasionally. Lately it has been a lot less often than I'd like. I think I'll take your situation as inspiration to pull out the harps over the weekend.
Well, I didn't say I was giving it up, just taking a short break until she mellows just a little.
I still have band practice, we still have gigs... sort of.

I did pull out a guitar and play for her a little bit a few days ago.
She didn't quite know what to make of that.

And, yes, you *should* pull out your harps... a good harp is a beautiful thing.
And I'm sure you play it well (or you'd better change your name)
Old 07-20-07, 02:04 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
And, yes, you *should* pull out your harps... a good harp is a beautiful thing.
And I'm sure you play it well (or you'd better change your name)
No name change required.
Old 07-20-07, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find the cycling enriches all areas of my life... music, photography, gardening, etc. You just have to adjust. That is, because riding does take time, it means that the time I do have for other things is valued even more that it was before. I don't feel quilty that there are weeds in the garden; the veggies taste even better because of the riding. I don't feel quilty that I only pick up one of my guitars two or three times a week. The music sounds sweeter because of the riding. And, my photography occurs much less frequently; yet, I have a keener eye for composition than I did before.
Old 07-20-07, 03:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
No name change required.
I thought not

Originally Posted by BSLeVan
You just have to adjust. That is, because riding does take time, it means that the time I do have for other things is valued even more that it was before.
Well, I can't argue with this at all in principal but understand, it's not the biking that has eaten into my time -well, OK.. it has- it's the addition of the puppy on TOP of the biking and guitar playing. It's the damn dog that messed everything up
Old 07-20-07, 03:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eh?
Old 07-20-07, 04:59 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
The only advantage I see as to living in a place with real winters is that when the snow flies you have to put the bike away and play music. Of course, I'd rather be able to ride all year.
Scroll down to the Winter Cycling forum, and we'll learn ya how. Not everyone there is kid. I put studded snow tires on my bike last year and rode all winter. Even found a once-a-week winter-only group ride.

At the LBS this past Monday, I think I test rode my next winter bike. Now I have to decide if I upgrade to disk brakes on my current one so I can also afford either a trainer or rollers, or do I replace my winter bike with this bike? I wouldn't have known about it if DG hadn't mentioned it as one he was considering before buying his Roubaix.
Old 07-20-07, 05:50 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Scroll down to the Winter Cycling forum, and we'll learn ya how. Not everyone there is kid. I put studded snow tires on my bike last year and rode all winter. Even found a once-a-week winter-only group ride.

At the LBS this past Monday, I think I test rode my next winter bike. Now I have to decide if I upgrade to disk brakes on my current one so I can also afford either a trainer or rollers, or do I replace my winter bike with this bike? I wouldn't have known about it if DG hadn't mentioned it as one he was considering before buying his Roubaix.
The one I considered (strongly) was this one: Very Similar Bike

Old 07-20-07, 07:44 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The one I considered (strongly) was this one: Very Similar Bike
I remember now. I looked at that one, wondered if it had rack and fender mounts, looked around a bit and found the '07 version complete with fenders and rack mounts. Either way, I have you to thank. Or curse.

In any event, after riding the Schwinn on Monday, my Trek a couple of days, my Cypress DX in the rain yesterday and this morning, then the Trek again tonight, I'm really leaning towards the Schwinn. It's too much like work trying to get the Cypress to speed and to ride into the headwinds. The memories of trying to pedal that beast with snow tires through six inches of slush are coming back to me. And they're not pleasant.
Old 07-20-07, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leap at least halfway back, I sense this is one fence you might be happier straddling.