Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-07, 01:05 PM   #1
berts
Roadie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: israel
Bikes: kestrel
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Home made energy gel

Thought to share a recently concocted recipe for an energy gel:
1 Tbs of unsweetened pomegranate syrup
1 Tbs gelatin
2 Tbs honey
70 ml (2.5 oz) hot water
1/2 tsp glycerol (glycerine)

Mix ingredients thouroughly till gelatin dissolves. Pour into plastic flask, cool at room temp and refrigerate.
The gelatin solidifies in the refrigerator but dissolves during the ride. Resultant mix is not as messy as honey water without gelatin, because it is thicker.
berts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-07, 03:44 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berts View Post
Thought to share a recently concocted recipe for an energy gel:
1 Tbs of unsweetened pomegranate syrup
1 Tbs gelatin
2 Tbs honey
70 ml (2.5 oz) hot water
1/2 tsp glycerol (glycerine)

Mix ingredients thouroughly till gelatin dissolves. Pour into plastic flask, cool at room temp and refrigerate.
The gelatin solidifies in the refrigerator but dissolves during the ride. Resultant mix is not as messy as honey water without gelatin, because it is thicker.
Now how do you get it into those sealed foil wrappers that do not ooze out in the back pocket?

Hows the leg by the way?
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-07, 08:06 PM   #3
berts
Roadie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: israel
Bikes: kestrel
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Now how do you get it into those sealed foil wrappers that do not ooze out in the back pocket?

Hows the leg by the way?
Use plastic squeeze bottle
images[1].jpg

The leg seems to be in pretty good shape so far. I have a check up in Sept to see what's going on inside.
Thanks
berts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-07, 01:22 AM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berts View Post
Use plastic squeeze bottle
Attachment 50093

The leg seems to be in pretty good shape so far. I have a check up in Sept to see what's going on inside.
Thanks
That makes sense. Energy supplements are getting to be a part of my rides now but thanks for the Tip on Cheaper alternatives.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-07, 04:57 AM   #5
NotAsFat
as I used to be
 
NotAsFat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berts View Post
Use plastic squeeze bottle
Attachment 50093

The leg seems to be in pretty good shape so far. I have a check up in Sept to see what's going on inside.
Thanks
Many LBS sell a small flask for use with the large bottles of Hammer Gel. They're made like a very small water bottle.
NotAsFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-07, 05:52 AM   #6
jim p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may not be a good as the energy gels but small baked sweet potatoes work pretty well for energy food. I eat the peel so it comes in its own container.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-07, 12:54 PM   #7
Sluggo
aspiring Old Wart
 
Sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Left bank, Knoxville TN
Bikes:
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The original energy gel, with handy container. Fits nicely in the jersey pocket.



Last edited by Sluggo; 07-21-07 at 12:59 PM.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-07, 01:36 PM   #8
berts
Roadie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: israel
Bikes: kestrel
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
The original energy gel, with handy container. Fits nicely in the jersey pocket.


I like the bottle.
Plain honey could get pretty messy and it's way too sweet. I need something sour to counterbalance the sweetness like lemon juice or pomegranate syrup.
berts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 08:12 AM   #9
oilman_15106
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you throw the bottle away, when empty, like the guys on the TDF?
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:29 PM.