Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-20-07, 05:38 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Do you know any bike routes?

Anyone know any good bike loops off or near I-40 between NC and Arizona-and also around Tucson??

I'm moving one of my daughters to Tucson, Arizona in a couple weeks and am going to take my bike and golf clubs along. I plan to take my time driving back to NC and will really need to get in a ride or two along the way and maybe a round of golf as well.

Maybe I need to do a ride in each state on the way back!!!

If it works out where anyone here would like to try and hook up I might be able to work out something like that as well.

I just hope my van with 450,000 miles is up for one more road trip!!!

Thanks in advance for any insights and suggestions you might have.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-07, 06:14 PM   #2
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
Anyone know any good bike loops off or near I-40 between NC and Arizona-and also around Tucson??

I'm moving one of my daughters to Tucson, Arizona in a couple weeks and am going to take my bike and golf clubs along. I plan to take my time driving back to NC and will really need to get in a ride or two along the way and maybe a round of golf as well.

Maybe I need to do a ride in each state on the way back!!!

If it works out where anyone here would like to try and hook up I might be able to work out something like that as well.

I just hope my van with 450,000 miles is up for one more road trip!!!

Thanks in advance for any insights and suggestions you might have.
Try golf at Inn of the Mountain Gods between Cloudcroft and Ruidosa NM. South of I40. Lots of biking around that area also. Bike up to the ski area at Ruidosa if you like climbing. Too tough for me. If you drop down into El Paso on the way back, Ft. Davis, Alpine and Marfa are excellent. I'll probably go out there and ride in the next two or three weeks. Marfa has a course that is the highest elevation course in Texas. Only problem is chasing antelope off the greens.
card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-07, 06:20 PM   #3
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
A short but fun very early morning ride in Tucson is to ride the loop in Saguaro National Park East before it gets hot and the visitors arrive. You can make it longer by riding to and from the park (i.e., the Old Spanish Trail). Within the park it is just about 10 miles, but very scenic, in a desert sort of way. Tucson has a lot of bike routes, some leading to the park. At least my wife and I enjoy it. A couple of decent climbs.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-20-07 at 06:25 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-07, 07:00 PM   #4
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
Check out www.bikely.com All sorts of rides along your route.
ken cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-07, 07:31 PM   #5
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
Quote:

Hey, I hope you will be back by Labor Day....I'm coming down to Charlotte then for 2-3 weeks (birth of new grandchild on the schedule) and would love to do some riding with you...any NC centuries scheduled for Sept that you know of???
Old 07-21-07, 10:23 AM   #6
abqhudson
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours
Bosque Bike path in Albuquerque, NM along the Rio Grande. Get on at the Parking lot at Alameda Blvd and the river. Go south about 17.5 miles (or any fraction) u-turn and return to the lot at Alameda. Nice ride.

Jim
abqhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-07, 12:14 PM   #7
OH306

Bikes:
If you get lost and wind up in Ohio look me up. My bike and clubs are never far from my fingertips.
OH306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-07, 09:58 AM   #8
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc20010 View Post
Hey, I hope you will be back by Labor Day....I'm coming down to Charlotte then for 2-3 weeks (birth of new grandchild on the schedule) and would love to do some riding with you...any NC centuries scheduled for Sept that you know of???
I will be back by Labor Day for sure-exciting about the new addition as well. You're one lucky guy!!

Let me do a little research on the area rides and I will send you a list. I know of one century that I usually do that is always on Labor Day and is down in Pinehurst/Southern Pines-about 90 mins to 2 hrs from Matthews. You would think the eastern part of NC is all flat but this one actually has a lot of good rolling hills. I'll probably plan to do it again this year to help in preparation for Grandfather a couple weeks later.
Old 07-23-07, 12:55 PM   #9
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
The Caprock Canyon State Park and Trailway is the longest rail-to-trail cycling conversion in Texas: 64 miles from Estilene to South Plains. Starts south of Amarillo, north of Lubbock.

Guess this is not the season for it though...
Old 07-23-07, 03:40 PM   #10
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
jppe,

If you want to take the southern route, and drive I-30 rather than I-40, I'd love to ride with you in the DFW area. There are always club rides to join, or we could just take off on our own.

Or, if you're in the area on August 25th, you could join me and 10,000 of my closest friends at the Hotter 'N Hell 100.
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 03:55 PM   #11
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Check out the website for greater AZ Bicycling Ass'n in Tucson (GABA). They list several rides every weekend and even some weekdays in the Tucson area.
The loop at Saguaro Nat'l Park East is nice, but beware (!) there is a steep downhill at the beginning of that loop with a quick right turn; more than one person has crashed into the cactus. Saguaro Nat'l Park West has a nice loop also, 1000s of saguaro cacti. For a bigger challenge, climb up Mount Lemmon or Kitt Peak . . . bring your granny gears, lotsa water/sunscreen.
Tucson has 400+ miles of bike lanes . . .
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 03:58 PM   #12
zonatandem

. . . and for golfing; we have so many golf courses that you'll get tired of 'em! Play later in the day for cheaper rates and warmer temps . . . bring water/sunscreen!!!
Old 07-23-07, 04:26 PM   #13
jppe
Let's do a Century

Great stuff. Just perfect-keep 'em coming.
Old 07-23-07, 07:12 PM   #14
jppe
Let's do a Century

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
Check out the website for greater AZ Bicycling Ass'n in Tucson (GABA). They list several rides every weekend and even some weekdays in the Tucson area.
The loop at Saguaro Nat'l Park East is nice, but beware (!) there is a steep downhill at the beginning of that loop with a quick right turn; more than one person has crashed into the cactus. Saguaro Nat'l Park West has a nice loop also, 1000s of saguaro cacti. For a bigger challenge, climb up Mount Lemmon or Kitt Peak . . . bring your granny gears, lotsa water/sunscreen.
Tucson has 400+ miles of bike lanes . . .
Thanks so much for the link to the website. It is perfect.

I just took a look at the site and Mt Lemmon Hill Climb looks just what I need after sitting in the car for 3 straight days. I might be able to figure it out but is there a way to ride out to the start of either one to get in some additional miles....without getting in too much traffic?

And I usually don't have much trouble finding golf courses.....and I usually do play in the afternoons as I am fond of warm weather so thanks for the tip. If you know of any reasonably priced courses that are decent I'd be interested to hear your suggestions. I don't need a super pricey resort type course.....
Old 07-23-07, 09:43 PM   #15
zonatandem

Don't know what kind of climbing/altitude you are used to, but going up the Lemmon is 11 miles of steady uphill to the 9,000' top.
Kitt Peak is about 8,000' with a 7% grade all the way.
Do not play golf, but here seems to be a golf course every few miles. Skip the fancy country clubs as they want $$$$$!
Even a couple municipal courses in town: Randolph on 22nd St., another off Speeday Blvd near Silverbell, another one on Silverbell Rd. etc.
Enjoy your stay!
Old 07-24-07, 05:25 AM   #16
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
Quote:
I will be back by Labor Day for sure-exciting about the new addition as well. You're one lucky guy!!

Let me do a little research on the area rides and I will send you a list. I know of one century that I usually do that is always on Labor Day and is down in Pinehurst/Southern Pines-about 90 mins to 2 hrs from Matthews. You would think the eastern part of NC is all flat but this one actually has a lot of good rolling hills. I'll probably plan to do it again this year to help in preparation for Grandfather a couple weeks later.
While I don't know all of the family plans yet, the Labor Day ride sounds pretty good. I would also be interested in the first 80 of Grandfather--I am no fool

Hope we can see one another for a ride(s) in Sept.
Old 07-24-07, 03:10 PM   #17
Thrifty1

Bikes:
Take a look at:
http://www.oklahomabicyclesociety.com/
Thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote