Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know any bike routes?

Anyone know any good bike loops off or near I-40 between NC and Arizona-and also around Tucson??

I'm moving one of my daughters to Tucson, Arizona in a couple weeks and am going to take my bike and golf clubs along. I plan to take my time driving back to NC and will really need to get in a ride or two along the way and maybe a round of golf as well.

Maybe I need to do a ride in each state on the way back!!!

If it works out where anyone here would like to try and hook up I might be able to work out something like that as well.

I just hope my van with 450,000 miles is up for one more road trip!!!

Thanks in advance for any insights and suggestions you might have.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Anyone know any good bike loops off or near I-40 between NC and Arizona-and also around Tucson??

I'm moving one of my daughters to Tucson, Arizona in a couple weeks and am going to take my bike and golf clubs along. I plan to take my time driving back to NC and will really need to get in a ride or two along the way and maybe a round of golf as well.

Maybe I need to do a ride in each state on the way back!!!

If it works out where anyone here would like to try and hook up I might be able to work out something like that as well.

I just hope my van with 450,000 miles is up for one more road trip!!!

Thanks in advance for any insights and suggestions you might have.
    Try golf at Inn of the Mountain Gods between Cloudcroft and Ruidosa NM. South of I40. Lots of biking around that area also. Bike up to the ski area at Ruidosa if you like climbing. Too tough for me. If you drop down into El Paso on the way back, Ft. Davis, Alpine and Marfa are excellent. I'll probably go out there and ride in the next two or three weeks. Marfa has a course that is the highest elevation course in Texas. Only problem is chasing antelope off the greens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A short but fun very early morning ride in Tucson is to ride the loop in Saguaro National Park East before it gets hot and the visitors arrive. You can make it longer by riding to and from the park (i.e., the Old Spanish Trail). Within the park it is just about 10 miles, but very scenic, in a desert sort of way. Tucson has a lot of bike routes, some leading to the park. At least my wife and I enjoy it. A couple of decent climbs.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-20-07 at 06:25 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out www.bikely.com All sorts of rides along your route.
    This space open

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I hope you will be back by Labor Day....I'm coming down to Charlotte then for 2-3 weeks (birth of new grandchild on the schedule) and would love to do some riding with you...any NC centuries scheduled for Sept that you know of???
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Ti #18 Senior.
    My Bikes
    Serotta Concours
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bosque Bike path in Albuquerque, NM along the Rio Grande. Get on at the Parking lot at Alameda Blvd and the river. Go south about 17.5 miles (or any fraction) u-turn and return to the lot at Alameda. Nice ride.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get lost and wind up in Ohio look me up. My bike and clubs are never far from my fingertips.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010 View Post
    Hey, I hope you will be back by Labor Day....I'm coming down to Charlotte then for 2-3 weeks (birth of new grandchild on the schedule) and would love to do some riding with you...any NC centuries scheduled for Sept that you know of???
    I will be back by Labor Day for sure-exciting about the new addition as well. You're one lucky guy!!

Let me do a little research on the area rides and I will send you a list. I know of one century that I usually do that is always on Labor Day and is down in Pinehurst/Southern Pines-about 90 mins to 2 hrs from Matthews. You would think the eastern part of NC is all flat but this one actually has a lot of good rolling hills. I'll probably plan to do it again this year to help in preparation for Grandfather a couple weeks later.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Caprock Canyon State Park and Trailway is the longest rail-to-trail cycling conversion in Texas: 64 miles from Estilene to South Plains. Starts south of Amarillo, north of Lubbock.

Guess this is not the season for it though...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe,

If you want to take the southern route, and drive I-30 rather than I-40, I'd love to ride with you in the DFW area. There are always club rides to join, or we could just take off on our own.

Or, if you're in the area on August 25th, you could join me and 10,000 of my closest friends at the Hotter 'N Hell 100.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the website for greater AZ Bicycling Ass'n in Tucson (GABA). They list several rides every weekend and even some weekdays in the Tucson area.
    The loop at Saguaro Nat'l Park East is nice, but beware (!) there is a steep downhill at the beginning of that loop with a quick right turn; more than one person has crashed into the cactus. Saguaro Nat'l Park West has a nice loop also, 1000s of saguaro cacti. For a bigger challenge, climb up Mount Lemmon or Kitt Peak . . . bring your granny gears, lotsa water/sunscreen.
    Tucson has 400+ miles of bike lanes . . .

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . . and for golfing; we have so many golf courses that you'll get tired of 'em! Play later in the day for cheaper rates and warmer temps . . . bring water/sunscreen!!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff. Just perfect-keep 'em coming.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Check out the website for greater AZ Bicycling Ass'n in Tucson (GABA). They list several rides every weekend and even some weekdays in the Tucson area.
    The loop at Saguaro Nat'l Park East is nice, but beware (!) there is a steep downhill at the beginning of that loop with a quick right turn; more than one person has crashed into the cactus. Saguaro Nat'l Park West has a nice loop also, 1000s of saguaro cacti. For a bigger challenge, climb up Mount Lemmon or Kitt Peak . . . bring your granny gears, lotsa water/sunscreen.
    Tucson has 400+ miles of bike lanes . . .
    Thanks so much for the link to the website. It is perfect.

I just took a look at the site and Mt Lemmon Hill Climb looks just what I need after sitting in the car for 3 straight days. I might be able to figure it out but is there a way to ride out to the start of either one to get in some additional miles....without getting in too much traffic?

And I usually don't have much trouble finding golf courses.....and I usually do play in the afternoons as I am fond of warm weather so thanks for the tip. If you know of any reasonably priced courses that are decent I'd be interested to hear your suggestions. I don't need a super pricey resort type course.....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know what kind of climbing/altitude you are used to, but going up the Lemmon is 11 miles of steady uphill to the 9,000' top.
    Kitt Peak is about 8,000' with a 7% grade all the way.
    Do not play golf, but here seems to be a golf course every few miles. Skip the fancy country clubs as they want $$$$$!
    Even a couple municipal courses in town: Randolph on 22nd St., another off Speeday Blvd near Silverbell, another one on Silverbell Rd. etc.
    Enjoy your stay!

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be back by Labor Day for sure-exciting about the new addition as well. You're one lucky guy!!

Let me do a little research on the area rides and I will send you a list. I know of one century that I usually do that is always on Labor Day and is down in Pinehurst/Southern Pines-about 90 mins to 2 hrs from Matthews. You would think the eastern part of NC is all flat but this one actually has a lot of good rolling hills. I'll probably plan to do it again this year to help in preparation for Grandfather a couple weeks later.
    While I don't know all of the family plans yet, the Labor Day ride sounds pretty good. I would also be interested in the first 80 of Grandfather--I am no fool

Hope we can see one another for a ride(s) in Sept.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)