Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Clipless advise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clipless advise

I have some pd 1056 pedals which require some delta look cleats. I don't have the cleats or the shoes. I have to walk about 1/2 mile on a dirt road to get to the pavement where I ride. So I need some advise. Do I just forget the pd1056 setup and keep riding with platforms, Do I go with spd setup, Or can I get some spd type shoes with an interface plate for delta cleats.

I am sure that there are threads on this some where so if you can point me to them please do. I am especially interested in maybe an interface plate between spd and delta cleats.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walk a half mile before you can ride? Maybe a hybrid with suitable tires or a cross bike would be in order. (So you don't have to walk).
    My Shimano SPD shoes are not bad to walk in but I never walk a half mile in them.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got nike spd shoes and walking isn't a problem. You hear the cleats grinding when you're on concrete, but that's it and I've done a lot of walking in them. I don't have pull out problems but I'm not a super aggressive rider either, just an enthusiastic recreationalist.

My son has SPD Ls and to be honest, watching the hassles he has, I can't see why anyone would buy cleats and shoes you can't walk in if they aren't racing.

Crank Brothers apparently have setups you can walk in.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleat covers would work. But are you SURE you can't ride it?
    Back in the days before mtn bikes we used to ride some pretty weird dirt trails on our road bikes.
    Try it.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SPD mountain bike shoes cover most of the cleat and are very comfortable to walk in.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Crank Bros. eggbeaters.
    73 Raleigh 20
    85 Trek 300 series
    05 Kona Caldera
    05 Surly Cross Check
    09 Giant Trance X2
    12 Tern Link P9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replys. I might be able to ride the 1/2 miles but after two trips or riding it I cut the sidewall on a new tire so I decided that it would be cheaper to just walk to the pavement. I can wear sneaker out to the road and then put on the riding shoes. I can either leave the sneakers by the road or take them along with me on the ride incase I have to do some walking so there are ways to get around my problem. My main goal is not to make a big investment in a pedal system that wont be user friendly to me. I got the pedals off a junked bike so the pedal cost was nothing. I think that I will go and get some cleats and inexpensive shoes and see how I like the system. This is probably the only way that I can determine if it is worth the trouble to me.

Thanks again.