User Tag List

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stapfam Made Me Do It (Pictures)

With a little prodding from Stapfam, I lugged my camera around on a few rides and even managed to stop long enough to snap a few pix. I just wish my digital camera had a wider lens so I could get more of the scenes, that and more talent so you could really see how pretty this area can be. These are all taken along some of my usual routes, riding from my house outside Knoxville in East Tennessee. Lest you get the wrong idea, while there isn't much sign of human activity in these pictures I went through some busy roads to get to these spots.

Click the thumbnails below for bigger pictures.

Here is a cow pasture with a scenic mudhole. The blue heron wading in the pool flew away just before I got this picture. I have one foot on the pavement here to give you an idea of the width of the shoulder (and note the barbed wire fence).

Greenway they just built in a new subdivision near here. So far only about 100 ft of the path is finished.

Another nice road. Back in the good old days the setback rules for houses weren't as restrictive.

At a local park on the Clinch River

Freshly mown hay with the ever present TVA powerlines. Those were some good blackberries on those brambles you may be able to make out in the foreground. I thought about gathering some for a pie, but they tasted too good straight off the vine. But I did save some for you guys, send me an email and I'll send you a map to the briar patch, I think there are still a few berries left.

Scene on one of my favorite riding routes. Note the Fred bag I added for the camera, how do you guys carry a camera? That bag would be OK if it wasn't quite so big.

Also, if you look closely you may see the now empty mount for my new Garmin Edge. It filled up with water on the previous ride (its 2nd time out, later in the ride with the picture at the picnic table) in a torrential downpour and went back to the factory for replacement. It turned out OK, they sent me a new unit and a spare cadence sensor, so now I have cadence on both bikes. And then I found out I am eligible for the $75 rebate on the unit (grins like possum, life is good).

Other end of the same road as the last picture. More powerlines (actually the same ones).
    It looks like they have sprayed the kudzu here with weed killer, otherwise it would be creeping out into the road.

Another typical East Tennessee road sans shoulder. At least here there is a scenic creek and no barbed wire.

Local sports gathering spot. This is close enough to my house that I can frequently hear the beagles baying. The "Atomic" is a reference to Oak Ridge, just across the river a few miles, where I am employed squandering your hard earned tax dollars (except for you Stapfam).

Goose stepping.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a lovely mudhole you have to ride by. I'm so jealous.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The picture didn't turn out quite like I hoped.
    Last edited by byte_speed; 07-20-07 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Neither did this post

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Tennessee, it really is a beautiful state. It seems "nicer" somehow than some of it's other Southern cousins.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you guys living in states that are green in mid-summer appreciate what you have. Well composed pics, byte speed.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks CC.

It is surprisingly green here given how low we are on rain. I should have included a picture of my lawn for balance. We've gotten a few thunderstorms in the last few days that have helped.

My Bikes
    Long Haul Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Utah, we think 104 degrees, pointed rocks and almost zero plant life is fun(MOAB),,,

Hows the skeeters?

Looks like a nice place.....
    I hate cars,

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it here, but Moab is high on my list of places to visit.

The mosquitoes don't bother me much, they seem to like my wife, though. But they are almost non-existent this year with the dry (for us) weather.

My Bikes
    Long Haul Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look me up if you decide to do Moab, I will sort fact from fiction, and DO NOT believe what Utah Mtb ASSN says, they lie.
    I hate cars,

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byte_speed View Post
    Thanks CC.

It is surprisingly green here given how low we are on rain. I should have included a picture of my lawn for balance. We've gotten a few thunderstorms in the last few days that have helped.
    Glad to see I am having an influence on some.

Everyone over here is moaning about the amount of Rain we are having- with Flash Floods fronm the Monsoon type rain we are getting. Middle England has sunk again in the last couple of days. Surprising thing is that I am getting more rides on the bike this year so we must be having more good weather.

Good pics and great to see your camera shows muddy water as Mud.The same as mine.
    Last edited by stapfam; 07-21-07 at 07:43 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep those pictures coming! Love seeing the places people ride. I have found it is hard to stop long enough to take pictures. It really changes the flow of the ride, so I am always glad to see when someone makes the effort to do so. Great pics.
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics byte_speed. You've got a nice looking place to ride.

The back roads I ride on my after-work ride have no shoulders. I usually watch the mirror about as much as I look ahead on these roads.

We have no berries (blackberries or huckleberries) here this year . A late freeze got the blooms. The freeze also eliminated the peach and apple crops in nearby orchards.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ticwanos View Post
    Keep those pictures coming! Love seeing the places people ride. I have found it is hard to stop long enough to take pictures. It really changes the flow of the ride, so I am always glad to see when someone makes the effort to do so. Great pics.
    +1 on stopping to take pictures. I have been intending to take some pictures of my rides for several years and it was only Stapfams thread that got me to do it. Figuring out how to carry my camera has caused me some concern also. I would be quite annoyed it if got damaged in a mishap - or wet.