User Tag List

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Farts doin WindMill Century?

Any of youz CA Geezers doin the Windmill Century outta Los Alamos 2morrow?

Letz Hi-five at the start... maybe rollout together.

Look for chicken legs with an orange jersey (no lettering), dark silver helmutt, astride a dark blue Spec. Roubaiz Elite. Hangin with the other Geez...

gonna be fun...

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, we're not ready yet. We're considering the Palm Springs century next February (I read it is easy). And not in this hot weather!

But have a great time, and post a full report!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waiting for the ride report.... how'd it go?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Waiting for the ride report.... how'd it go?
    Great ride! Lotz to tell. I'm try and post a good report 2morrow!
    Course really suits a lot of riders from the 40 miler to the metric to the full century.
    Tailwinds club did an AB FAB job - 5 thumbs up!
    tomorrow...

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked for you but never saw you. I noticed on your SoCal post you were at the lunch stop when the Echelon boys were there. I rode in with the Echelon boys and left before them, didn’t see you. I did it in 5:36 (saddle) and 5:50 overall. I had a wrong turn after lunch that cost me about 5-7 minutes, oh well.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanteB View Post
    I looked for you but never saw you. I noticed on your SoCal post you were at the lunch stop when the Echelon boys were there. I rode in with the Echelon boys and left before them, didn’t see you. I did it in 5:36 (saddle) and 5:50 overall. I had a wrong turn after lunch that cost me about 5-7 minutes, oh well.
    we prolly passed each other at the park entrance... They hung for a while, I hung for a little bit more...

to the report promised, tried to get onto BF yesterday 4 times with no luck! Timed out everytime.
    A bit of an omen - think I need to back down on this online thing for a while and spend more time in meatspace.

Anyway, the important stuff - a great century ride for many. Not the hardest in Central CA, not the most scenic, not the biggest, but add up some great scenery, excellent variety in terrain, low infernal combustion traffic, excellent 'support', smaller size so less opportunity for unfortunate rider incidents and equally nice riding whether the full century or lesser distances. This is a good ride to consider for those new to the 'century' or metric century game.
    Our ride - did it with a riding friend who, as announced just before we pulled out of the start, had never done 100 miles before. No biggie. As expected Robert was solid thru the whole ride and really paced himself well when the goin got more difficult. Posted as 4000 ft of altitude gain, most of it was low gradient stuff intermixed with a few real climbing sections.
    Overall we rode with an eye to scenery and the feel of the road. 'Booked' it when the section allowed, 'conserved' when the difficulty was there; and I got to really put the hammer to anvil on the last 20.
    Riding with Robert, who is a long time rider in spite of never having done any form of 100, was a treat. He developed a great sense when to hammer and when to glide.
    The ride support was absolutely fabulous. The rest stop provisions were a cornucopia of great stuff, more than I ever expected or could eat - even though I tried
    Riding the upper Santa Barbara COunty area is always treat and a splendor of views and scenery.
    Some pics:
    ALiso Canyon Rd views. Robert and I, the lunchstop, Denise, Ed & Wilson, shoeless riders and a future TDF rider.

less important - my 'ride' time = 5:32, my overall time = 6:08, Kcals expended (according to the HRM) = 4626
    Robert's ride time 6:18, Robert's overall time 6:54
    Attached Images Attached Images