Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your ride level?

Beginner (5-9 mph average)

Energetic beginner (9-12 mph average)

Intermediate (12-15 mph average)

Advanced (15 mph-18 mph average)

Super Advanced (what?)
    Last edited by alicestrong; 08-19-07 at 11:02 AM.
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! I'm up to "energetic beginner" and slipping into Intermediate on a good stretch! You made my day, Alicestrong!

Oh, and I did 23 miles yesterday!!!

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thread. I moved to advanced about 2 months ago on the road bike.
    Of course on a mountain trail you would have to start a new catagory "under 5 MPH, Walks With Bike"
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    Good thread. I moved to advanced about 2 months ago on the road bike.
    Of course on a mountain trail you would have to start a new catagory "under 5 MPH, Walks With Bike"
    Come on- One thing you never do on a mountain bike is walk. You may change the route to cut out the 25% when it is mudddy- or modify it so that you go down it- but Walk-Never.

Have to agree about the Under 5mph bit though Especially up Ventoux.

This is a reply that is from an experienced Mountain biker that stopped walking after his 3rd year. Untill then it was look at the hill and see if there were any gears left. If none- then get ready for a walk by unclipping.

And I just slip into the advanced group on the road but On the offroad- I'm still an energetic beginner.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Come on- One thing you never do on a mountain bike is walk. You may change the route to cut out the 25% when it is mudddy- or modify it so that you go down it- but Walk-Never.
    I walk plenty on my MTB, never on the road.

If by changing routes you mean by taking different established paths, OK. But one thing never to do is to make your own side paths around tough parts of an established trail. Especially in muddy conditions. That's a good way to get yourself banned from a trail.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am totally confused. This is based on what? Road or Mt. Hills or flats? Rail trail or roads?

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.
    Usually on my local ride with wind, hills and stoplights I average 13 plus a hair.
    On my first century last weekend, riding with almost no wind, hills or stoplights (and not drafting at all) I averaged slightly over 15. I was surprised to see my computer reading 18 so much.

So I'm not sure where I fit on your scale. You tell me.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I average about 20mph but I do it all on flat roads.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, these are road rides..
    Last edited by alicestrong; 08-19-07 at 11:04 AM.
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I walk plenty on my MTB, never on the road.

If by changing routes you mean by taking different established paths, OK. But one thing never to do is to make your own side paths around tough parts of an established trail. Especially in muddy conditions. That's a good way to get yourself banned from a trail.
    Hill goes up and you know you will have a problem so Go round it. Where I live- There are so many trails that skirt the hills that You can easily take an easier Recogised Trail round the steep bits.

Funny thing is- If you Look at the Muddy puddles on the trails- Horses Go through the Mud- Cycles go through the Mud- The path is made wider by the Hundreds of walkers that do not want to get their boots muddy.

In fact the walkers have so much pull with the authorities over here- that a lot of the more used Paths- Like the South Downs Way will soon be covered over with gravel and rolled flat- Just so they don't slip in the muddy puddles.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do the intermediate...that would be the 13+...but I don't push myself a whole lot either, However, I do get exercize...
    peace

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ride a couple of days ago was 34 miles at 15.6 mph. I'm surprised that that puts me in the "advanced" level. I feel much more like the lower end of "intermediate". I'm going to do my first century tomorrow (I hope!), and I'll be happy if I average 10 to 12 mph on that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm easily advanced, but considering how many others blow by me....we might want to change our numbers or create some new levels: hyper-advanced, ultra-super, god-like, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Dahon, I ride as an advance and on the Trek, an intermediate. I have not found out the difference but I know the Dahon is faster despite having 7 speed. Trek is heavier and tires are fit for road and trials.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On downhills, I'm super advanced. Otherwise, I'm an energetic beginner (according to that list).
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did 90 miles today and averaged 19.2 mph. But those are pretty flat miles, probably only around a thousand feet of climbing. Hills make a huge difference for me.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I climbed a 15% grade today to the top of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I know it was slow. Thankfully my computer wasn't working. It may have been faster than walking. I've been a beginner for about 30 years now.

To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson, "I'm an old man but a young cyclist." (He was speaking about gardening).
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Violin guitar mandolin
    My Bikes
    Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that terrain plays into things a great deal. As does whether one cycles alone or not. I'd have thought going with my wife would be faster. We're both well into advanced on solo rides over our rather broken up terrain, lots of short steep hills etc. Together we're down to about 15 mph - I think we talk and loaf along too much together! On the flat with no wind we're up at about 20 most of the time. The hills seem to break things up much more. I end up more tired for a given distance.

Oddly enough, the mountains seem to not have as much impact. I can get into a nice climbing groove. The drops aren't so technical and my speed is up. The rapidly rolling curvy country roads seem the slowest. Rough surfaces, blind corners, etc.

Anyone have data or thoughts on the terrain effect?

She's not 50 plus though, only 43.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    Beginner (5-9 mph average)
    8%
    8% [ 2 ]
    Energetic beginner (9-12 mph average)
    41%
    41% [ 10 ]
    Intermediate (12-15 mph average)
    37%
    37% [ 9 ]
    Advanced (15 mph-18 mph average)
    12%
    12% [ 3 ]
    Super Advanced (what?)
    Cool, Alice!

Last year I was a definite intermediate. This year I have moments of advanced and super advanced (can we call this "hammer monkey" or something more to teh point?), tho my average is still in teh intermediate range.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    I did 90 miles today and averaged 19.2 mph. But those are pretty flat miles, probably only around a thousand feet of climbing. Hills make a huge difference for me.
    Don't think she scaled it for 'bents, or is that jsut an avatar, blazing?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Hill goes up and you know you will have a problem so Go round it. Where I live- There are so many trails that skirt the hills that You can easily take an easier Recognised Trail round the steep bits.
    What's the challenge in that? I keep trying the hill, going up as far as I can, until I finally make it to the top. The ones I have to walk are usually very steep and technical. Steep I can usually handle. But add in roots, rocks and tight turns between trees, and I sometimes have to come off and push.

As for the (almost) poll, advanced. 15-18 is about where I usually ride on the road.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Long Haul Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me quick go see the speedo,,back in a short,,,,,18 on the road bike and 22 on the dirt, so it says,,that was a short ride.
    I hate cars,

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    Don't think she scaled it for 'bents, or is that jsut an avatar, blazing?
    Nope, that's me. The scale looks good to me, regardless of the bike being used. After all, most bents don't have a huge aero advantage, regardless of what they'd like to think. Mine does; it's about equal to having a 3-man paceline, which is pretty common for riders in the 20 mph range anyway.

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am about as aerodynamic as a brick, even on my bent
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the advanced group. I let my Cateye run continuously (as opposed to only when the wheel is turning). For a 41-mile out and back, with 1700 ft of climbing to the turnaround, I will average 16-17 mph. I can average a little higher for shorter rides. For Tour de Tuscon last year (109 miles, hilly) I averaged slightly over 16 mph.

I will be 55 Friday, btw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast