Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lesson 2 for Newbies

When riding and drinking out of a water bottle, hold the water bottle to the side of your face instead of straight in front of your face. Holding the bottle out to the side allows you to not have anything obstructing your vision while riding. It's especially important when riding in pacelines.

This just might be the start of a series of incredible tips you just won't get anywhere else.........

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you've been there, done that?

Thanks for the tips, keep 'em coming!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'll chime in for newbies.......when drinking from the bottle or reaching in a jersey pocket or checking if your seat bag is zipped (!), etc., the closer the single hand on the bars is to the middle-- to the stem-- the more stable your steering will be.

My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    When riding and drinking out of a water bottle, hold the water bottle to the side of your face instead of straight in front of your face. Holding the bottle out to the side allows you to not have anything obstructing your vision while riding. It's especially important when riding in pacelines.

This just might be the start of a series of incredible tips you just won't get anywhere else.........
    One of the reasons I use a Camelbak, its much easier to drink out of. If I use a bottle, I tend to aspirate & choke on some of the fluid, especially if I'm breathing hard. I guess I'm too dumb to ride & drink out of a bottle at the same time.
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chinarider View Post
    One of the reasons I use a Camelbak, its much easier to drink out of. If I use a bottle, I tend to aspirate & choke on some of the fluid, especially if I'm breathing hard. I guess I'm too dumb to ride & drink out of a bottle at the same time.

It's even more fun when you're in a tightly packed bunch of riders trying to just find a time to steal a sip of fluids without running over someone in front of you.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another water bottle tip I remembered during Tuesday's ride. When you are on a ride segment long enough to empty one water bottle and start using a second bottle, switch bottles while you still have a few swallows of water left in the first bottle. Having a little bit left after finishing the 2nd bottle can be a very good thing.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another tip is to squirt the water into your cheek rather than trying to squirt it down your throat and then swallow. If you shoot it straight in at one point or another its going to go down your windpipe rather than your esophagus and cause coughing problems.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always had a little trouble reaching down to get the bottle out of the cage until I bought the Polar water bottle with the finger loop. That little finger loop has made a big difference in getting the bottle out of the cage and keeping the bike in a straight line.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Insulate.../dp/B000F7Z0KI
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When adjusting your rear view mirror, helmet, eyeglass or otherwise...don't spend too long looking back and forget where you are going.
    peace

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great tip JPPE. While riding with a large group a couple of weeks ago I saw a practice that I really liked and have adopted regarding water bottles. A lady rider was third in our pace line and she wanted to drink from her bottle. She reached down grabbed the bottle, but on the way up held the bottle out to the side so all behind her could see she was going to take a drink from her bottle. Like you said JPPE, she drank from the side of her mouth, then held the bottle out to the side again so we all could see it as she put it back in holder. I thought that was a nice safety precaution because we all knew someone up front was drinking, give them a little space.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
    Ok, I'll chime in for newbies.......when drinking from the bottle or reaching in a jersey pocket or checking if your seat bag is zipped (!), etc., the closer the single hand on the bars is to the middle-- to the stem-- the more stable your steering will be.
    Unfortunately, I had to learn that one the hard way and have the scars to prove it.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator