Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

a metric century is easier than an imperial century

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 12:12 PM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really like this distance, in the 60 mile range. It's challenging, but not grueling and painful, like an imperial century. It's the sweet spot for me.

Today we did 62.2 w/an AVS of 16 mph. That is my best ride of the year and I feel very happy about that!! Just thought I'd share.

I am going to a party later, and I sure hope they have pie.

What have you found to be your "sweet spot" for distance?
Old 07-28-07, 12:39 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by momof4greatkids
I really like this distance, in the 60 mile range. It's challenging, but not grueling and painful, like an imperial century. It's the sweet spot for me.

Today we did 62.2 w/an AVS of 16 mph. That is my best ride of the year and I feel very happy about that!! Just thought I'd share.

I am going to a party later, and I sure hope they have pie.

What have you found to be your "sweet spot" for distance?
I kind of agree with you, now that I think of it. Haven't done the full enchilada yet, however. But 60 is nice and long and doable all at the same time for me.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-28-07, 12:53 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
16.2 average?? Was it all downhill? Good going! I think an "imperial" century is in your future.

My first and only metric last year nearly killed me (stop here if you've heard this story already) because I got cocky about midway through and joined in a paceline with some Turks. Limped back to the start after getting dropped and wound up with an average of barely 13mph. Or was it 12? Memory's kinda hazy...not sure how I made it home!

Most of the group rides I do are 30-35 miles, 2-4 times a week, so I guess it's what I'm used to -- if not my "sweet spot".
Old 07-28-07, 01:09 PM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
16.2 average?? Was it all downhill? Good going! I think an "imperial" century is in your future.

My first and only metric last year nearly killed me (stop here if you've heard this story already) because I got cocky about midway through and joined in a paceline with some Turks. Limped back to the start after getting dropped and wound up with an average of barely 13mph. Or was it 12? Memory's kinda hazy...not sure how I made it home!

Most of the group rides I do are 30-35 miles, 2-4 times a week, so I guess it's what I'm used to -- if not my "sweet spot".
if memory fails always round up

that sounds awful, though, I'm sure it was very painful. I did ride a full century last weekend and I lost almost a full mile on my average speed on the last 50.........definitely did not pace myself properly.
Old 07-28-07, 01:17 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A metric century is a great distance. You know you've done a very good day's work, but there's a big, big difference in the the mileage it takes to get to 100.
Old 07-28-07, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Felt Z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad others feel the same way I do. I'm good up to 60, in pain at 75, and near death by 100. I don't learn, though. I still try. The comments on average speed are interesting. I did a real century a couple of weeks ago and had an average speed of 14.3 at the 50 mile mark and 12.7 by the finish. I guess the gas tank went empty.
Old 07-28-07, 02:10 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hate to say it but OF COURSE a metric is easier. But I have done a couple of metrics in foul weather that have been harder than any ride I have ever attempted. One was a road ride in 2001 where torrential rain and high winds turned it into a night mare and the other was offroad with foul weather again and was supposed to be 100 miles. We abandoned at 65 miles and the organisors awarded the full distance medals to any one that got to the 65 mile mark.

To me- A metric- although not easy- Is not that difficult either. Especially now I am road riding and most of my weekend rides are pushing 100Kms. It is that extra distance up to the 100 miles that make a true century a challenge. Haven't done a 100 miler on the road bike yet, but subject to weather in the Autumn- a couple are planned.

Just hope I will be as blase about distance riding in a couple of years.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-28-07, 02:53 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Great observation and I agree wholeheartedly. After doing a good number of 80-100 mile rides, doing a metric century is an excellent distance. I suspect if we did a number of 120-130 mile training rides, 100 milers might feel a tad easier as well.
Old 07-29-07, 10:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just reset your computer from mph to kph and you will fly.
Old 07-29-07, 11:09 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
After about four hours saddle time, I'm bored, sore and ready to stop. When the pleasure is done, so am I. At my average speed, that's right around a metric century. I have no interest in going past the point where I'm ready to stop.
Old 07-29-07, 11:48 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
+1
Metrics are challenging and often enjoyable. Centuries are challenging and often painful (and occasionally somewhat enjoyable). I will continue to do both, but I usually feel a lot better after a metric.

Sorry, I just can't go for the "imperial" thing. To me a "century" is a 100 mile ride. A 62 mile ride is a "metric century" or just a "metric". "Imperial" just sounds dangerously close to politically correct.
Old 07-29-07, 11:57 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our longest distance so far (since re-entering cycling in March) is 27 miles last weekend. We feel good upon our return and the next day, so I guess we are doing this right (no knee pain yesterday!). We add a few miles each week, and would love to do a century maybe next year, but for now we are enjoying feeling our heart rates recover faster, getting up the hills with a little less effort each week, and returning home feeling refreshed.

When I wish we could go further now, I remind myself that 99.99999999999% of people would be astounded at the thought of riding a bike 20 miles.... 60 miles would blow their minds... 100 is just plain crazy (to them). I don't ride anywhere near as far or as often as many of you, but my clothes are fitting looser, I can easily climb multiple flights of stairs with a fast heart rate recovery (and without huffing and puffing like the 20-somethings walking with me), and I feel like a kid again. From only 20+ mile rides. So, my sweet spot is whatever I am comfortably doing now that makes me feel that good.

I'll tell you how I feel after 60 miles when we get there.
Old 07-29-07, 03:31 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
+1

Sorry, I just can't go for the "imperial" thing. To me a "century" is a 100 mile ride. A 62 mile ride is a "metric century" or just a "metric". "Imperial" just sounds dangerously close to politically correct.
A century to me is 100 miles. A metric century is a lot less. In fact here in the UK Metric centuries are not in common parlance- It is a 65 miler. (I know that is not a metric century but 65 miles is an easy number to remember.)

Spike Milligan
Old 07-31-07, 11:55 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
To me a century is 100 years and while I'll give it a try, I'm not sure I can ride that long.
Old 07-31-07, 12:05 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Awhile back, when I was in Canada, they sold gasoline by the "imperial gallon," slightly larger than a traditional gallon. I thought it meant I could drive at an "imperial speed limit." The cop did not agree.
Old 07-31-07, 04:27 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A metric century is a nice distance. I live just over 6 miles from the park where our club meets for our Saturday ride. If he club ride is 50 miles, then I get a metric every Saturday. Sometimes I ride some extra to get in 70+. I do agree an imperial is more of a challenge.
Old 08-02-07, 07:26 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
I've done many centuries, but at the 80 mile mark I'm always asking myself "Why am I doing this?" (It's normally for charity). A metric is a nice ride without the mental and physical stress of the imperial. In fact I've vowed never to do another imperial, as I have nothing to prove to myself any more!
Old 08-03-07, 05:57 AM

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've ridden both but I still think it depends on the number of "uphills".
Hockey
Old 08-03-07, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hockey
I've ridden both...
Hockey
Me too. Everytime I ride an "Imperial" century it seems that I somehow complete a "metric" century the same day. I can't quite figure out what's going on with that....
Old 08-03-07, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Waterford RS-22;Bottechia-giro 'd italia(ca.1971)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done many metrics-hilly and less so. Have done the same, FLAT, imperial three times now. On the second go round I learned what the term "bonk" means at about the 75 mile mark. Was dehydrated, probably close to heat stroke. Rested for about 20 minutes before I realized I still had to finish( to get to the car). That was the hardest 25 miles(again, dead flat terrain) I have ever done. Forget the overall average speed. Plan to do the same ride tomorrow, forcast is for 90+ heat-I AM a bit apprehensive-but am committed to do it. Will leave early to try to beat some of the heat-and will stay hydrated. 100 miles is (and feels) a lot longer than 62.
Old 08-03-07, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know "pqpdlr". I've ridden many a century, both metric and imperial. I have ridden a few metrics that are really, really, difficult, depending on heat and hills. A flat 100 miler on a cool day is a pleasure.
Conditions should not be underrated!
P.S. An American gallon is approximately 4 litres. An Imperial gallon (Canadian) approximately 4.5 litres.
Hockey