Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-29-07, 07:35 PM   #1
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Louis & Beverly do XOBA

What a week! This was my first multi-day tour and one I'll never forget. Louis and I met shortly before boarding the buses that would take us from Conneaut, OH to Edon, OH which was the starting point of the tour. We rode different buses but were able to get together after arriving at our starting point and a short ride into Indiana for the first of our "road pop" breaks after riding.

The first day was dubbed the Succotash ride. It was 66 miles through the bean and corn fields of NW Ohio with those headwinds out of the NNE that would stay with us for several days. I also consider this my birthday ride even though it was 6 months late. I seldom get to ride it in January.

Day 2 we finally hit civilization as we traveled through Toledo on our way to Marblehead. This was our first chance to see some of the lighthouses and museums and the scenery was a welcome change from the flat farmland. Here's the group at lunch.

Day 3 we finally had some tailwinds as we headed west from Marblehead toward Fremont. We stopped at a bike shop in Fremont where I found water cages that match the lettering on my bike. The bike shop guy guarantees me I'll get at least anothe mph with these cages Later in the day we stopped at a drug store so I could buy some BenGay and a bandage to wrap my right shin as I felt like I had a minor muscle pull in that area

I awoke on day 4 to a red swollen right shin. One of the members of our club is a physican and he was on the tour so they asked him to take a look at my leg. Well....his diagnosis after examining it was "Oh, ****....you need to get to an emergency room". He thought it was cellulitis and the emergency room doctor made the same diagnosis. He made me promise I wouldn't ride the riest of the week, get my prescriptions filled immediately and seek additional medical attention if it didn't get better in 48 hours. I spent the rest of the tour riding SAG with my friend's husband, taking medication and hobbling around on a cane I managed to see the remaining lighthouses and museums from the van instead of on my bike as planned. Hopefully the leg will be healed for my next tour coming up this Saturday.

Louis and I did manage to get 3 days of riding together. He rode the rest of the tour with my friends and I joined them for dinner. It really helped to have someone pull me through those headwinds....thanks Louis.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 07:38 PM   #2
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
http://picasaweb.google.com/Beverly.Owens/XOBA2007

The pictures don't show up for me so here's the link to the album....hope this works.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-29-07, 08:10 PM   #3
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Looks like fun. Sorry you had problems with your leg. Did Louis kick you in the shin or something?
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 08:23 PM   #4
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
Good pics.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 08:43 PM   #5
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
OK, except for being seen in public with Louis and the bum shin, I'm definitely envious. I'd like to try something of that nature. Currently, however, the job and the exchequer will not allow it. Looks like you guys had a great time. Nice pics. I guess I didn't realize there were lighthouses in Ohio. Hope you heal rapidly!
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 08:51 PM   #6
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Looks like fun. Sorry you had problems with your leg. Did Louis kick you in the shin or something?
She is too quick on her feet, try as I might, I kept missing.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 09:21 PM   #7
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
OK, except for being seen in public with Louis

It was a fun tour, my third XOBA, and the best by far. Beverly and her club mates are all good cyclists and a blast to hang out with. It was nice of them to take me into their group. I'm laughing at the pic above^inside the luggage truck with Beverly and I...it looks like I'm half in the bag. Uh...perhaps I was, I'll never tell.

On Thursday we were routed over some very rough roads near Cleveland where I went down hard on my right side. I've got some road rash below my right knee and my hip has now started to hurt like hell. Maddy says my right butt cheek and lower back are swollen. Called the Nurse Line today and was advised to use ice, and take an anti-inflammatory, if not better in 72 hrs. go see my doctor. I rode the last two days in some minor pain but was able to finish okay, as Bev mentioned. This comes with the territory so I'm not complaining.

It was a great tour and I'm stoked from making so many new friends. Thanks to Beverly and her group from the Dayton Cycling Club.

Last edited by Louis; 07-31-07 at 10:27 AM.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 10:55 PM   #8
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,
Sounds very fun! No photo of you on the cane, Beverly?
Old 07-30-07, 07:15 AM   #9
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
The thread title sounded like something you'd see on Cinemax late at night*, but otherwise...great pix, Beverly! Hope the leg is better.

--

*according to what people tell me, of course.
bcoppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 07:23 AM   #10
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Sorry about the shin, Beverly. Hope you heal quickly. Thanks for the story and pix. Hope I can hook up with you and Louis for another ride soon!
Old 07-30-07, 07:24 AM   #11
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoppola View Post
The thread title sounded like something you'd see on Cinemax late at night*, but otherwise...great pix, Beverly! Hope the leg is better.

--

*according to what people tell me, of course.
What happens in Toledo stays in Toledo.
Old 07-30-07, 07:35 AM   #12
OH306

Bikes:
Great pics. I may just try that next year. Hope the leg is better soon.
OH306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 08:21 AM   #13
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH306 View Post
Great pics. I may just try that next year. Hope the leg is better soon.
The only thing they announced about the tour next year was the theme - The Underground Railroad Tour. I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping they start in Cincinnati and crisscross the state to the NE corner. There's a lot of underground railroad history in the Cincinnati to Xenia area.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-30-07, 09:17 AM   #14
MichiganMike

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
Nice pics. Hope you get all healed up for your next trip. Is that the one over here in God's Country? Looks like a fun ride. I am going to have to do one of those one of these days.
MichiganMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 09:48 AM   #15
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay"; Fuji D6 TT bike
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Looks like a fun time, except for the leg. Loved the pic of the covered bridge -- we don't see many out here.

Hope your leg heals soon.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 10:02 AM   #16
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
Nice pics. Hope you get all healed up for your next trip. Is that the one over here in God's Country? Looks like a fun ride. I am going to have to do one of those one of these days.
Yep, it's the Western Michigan Shoreline tour. I'm hoping everything is healed by this weekend when we leave. We have our personal SAG on this trip so I can shorten the daily miles if needed.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-30-07, 09:24 PM   #17
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I loved the pics and the trip sounds like a blast (except for the leg, of course)! I sure would love to do something like that sometime.
Old 07-30-07, 11:18 PM   #18
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
Hope the shin is much better. Thanks for posting the pictures. Multi-day rides are great.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Mojo Slim is offline   Reply With Quote