Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go ahead, laugh and get it out of your system...

I'm not going clipless.

It's MY bike, and I don't want to go clipless. I know most of you think I'm a danged fool for not doing it, but you aren't me, and you aren't in my shoes, so to speak, and as people like to point out from time to time on this forum, we've all reached the age where we don't have to worry (or shouldn't worry) about what other people think. So I'm going to ride with what makes ME comfortable.

But, if you just can't stand passing up the opportunity to point out what a complete Fred I am, then here's your thread. Have at it. Enjoy yourself.

I have an actual question about changing pedals which I hope will yield a serious response or two, so I'll put that in another thread. This one is reserved for trashing the G-man.

Go ahead. Make my day.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did they have bikes back in Shakespear's time??
    "To clip or not to clip - that is the question..."

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit that I now much prefer to use my PowerGrips than to use a plain platform pedal. Of course the PG are installed onto a platform, so I still have those on my bike. And I'm not certain there is any performance gain, even though my shoes are tightly adhered to the pedal and it feels like I'm pulling up a bit on the backstroke.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Platforms are the true clipless pedals. Just sayin'.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get into enough trouble with the platform pedals (6, count 'em, going on six weeks on crutches now, with a brand new bike parked out in the shed that the doc banned me from riding for at least another 2 weeks!)
    I've read too many crash & burn stories from people who couldn't unclip fast enough, to call you a Fred.
    Even back in the day when I risked life and limb speeding along hilly New England roads on my old road bike, I didn't clip in. Clips were for the cross-country skis only! At least with skis there's a fair chance of falling into powder, not asphalt Even ice is more forgiving than rock --- as I remember, anyway, I don't plan on testing that theory.
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
    - Buckaroo Banzai

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you Gee, the hell with clipless. bk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right on, big boy!

Clipless pedals are a commie plot! They were designed by Karl Marx himself with assistance from his cousins, Groucho, Harpo, and Zeppo. I'll stand with you despite the white bike!

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, for one, am glad you are staying with platforms. Didn't want to be the only one here who isn't on clipless. Though I thought about giving them another try! (but haven't yet anyway)

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^everyone up there is a wuss^^^

There's nothing wrong with that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FRED. FRED FRED FRED. FRED. Fraidy Cat FRED. Fred. FRED FRED FRED. Whatsa matter, don't wanna scratch your fancy dancy little white bike with a few little zero MPH CLub Tombay Moves? Huh FRED? Well if you were a MAN instead of a MOUSE, you would embrace the pain and live with the scratches, thinking of them as your bike's Red Badge of Courage, but no, you've changed your mind and are going to stick with bike tryout pedals. For now. You'll be back. Oh yes my pretty, you'll be back....wait and see.

Signed, the guy who got clipless pedals about six months ago, and is now an expert.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use toe clips and see little benefit to clipless. My knees are in such bad shape that a fall would probably stop me from riding and I don't care about the performance increase......if there is one.

Toe clips forever.............

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride however you like. I don't care. As long as you don't try to tell me not to use clipless on my road bike or my mountain bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I told you that only Freds go clipless now!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee... Gee, you just kill me! Whew, boy am I glad to get that out of my system! Now what was your question?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read on the touring thread that one of the bad things about clipless is that it changes your pedaling style and makes it almost impossible to go back to toe clips or bare. They said their feet just keep flying off the pedal.

That was enough for me... I don't want to be dependent on a pair of shoes.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You people are reading too much into what you are reading. Best to experience bicycling, not make all your decisions based on what you read. As you can easily see as you read the discussions on practically any subject, different people experience things differently.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I still think you should try the Wellgo MG-4 magnesium platform pedals in "white" if you can find them in that color. (its been a while since I saw them)

There is a special Cateye Strada computer in white also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have to hunt Ebay for that one though.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    You people are reading too much into what you are reading. Best to experience bicycling, not make all your decisions based on what you read. As you can easily see as you read the discussions on practically any subject, different people experience things differently.
    Exactly. One thing we all gots in common is that we're all different.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to ride the way you want to. I don't care if you even have those little streamers coming out of the ends of the handlebars. If it's the way you want to ride and it brings you joy, who cares?

Good thing you didn't start up the kickstand thread again though.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with your doing what you feel is best for you?

Let's hear more about why clipless is not for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put these on my new Surly Long Haul Trucker:

According to Sheldon Brown's site, they're the LAST pedals being manufactured for toe clips. Along with a matching pair of MKS size LL toe clips, I'm in business.

The cool thing about these pedals is that little trapezoidal tab sticking out of the back side of the pedal. You catch that with your toe to flip the pedal over, then slip your foot in. Sometimes I find myself getting into the clip without even glancing down.

I like the toe clips because I have Sasquatch-sized feet, making it difficult to find clipless cycling shoes in my size that don't cost an arm and a leg, and most importantly I like being able to ride in just about an sort of shoe I have on.

I am currently using nylon straps, but have a problem with them twisting, so I'm going to eventually get a set of leather straps.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use clipless on some of my bikes, not on others. For long tours I use clipless, for travelling and shorter hauls I don't.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat View Post
    I use clipless on some of my bikes, not on others.
    +1

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    +1
    +1.

I guess that means together we're +2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rented a bike in Minneapolis when I was there a few weeks ago. It had clips and straps. I had never used them, since I have gone from platforms to clipless some time ago. Personally I think the clips and straps are very difficult to get into and more dangerous than clipless could ever be.

Simple and very efficient, that's what clipless is. Come on Gee, get out of your comfort zone and learn something new. I aint laughing, I'm shrugging my shoulders wondering......

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast