Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Changing a stuck pedal

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Changing a stuck pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 10:04 AM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Last time I was in that situation, I used Liquid Wrench, soaked it liberally, tapped it with a hammer as they recommend, then I waited a day and tried again. It took 3 cycles of this to do the job but it worked.
Old 07-31-07, 11:21 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Ya.

I like the idea of having them remove the pedals. After all, they put 'em on in the first place! I'm going to go there tomorrow.
I ended up taking my bike to the LBS to get the pedals removed because I couldn't budge them Even the wrench at the shop had a hard time getting them loose. At least my LBS has never charged me for swapping pedals on the bikes. I think I would squawk at the $30.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-31-07, 12:33 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Ending!

So I take the bike to the LBS, and they swap the pedals. The wrench used that long Park Tools wrench, and they came right off after a bit of ooommmphing. He agreed they were on tight. He greased the new pedals and installed 'em.

Then he hands me an invoice for $10. I question him, asking if that charge was applied to new bikes when the new owner choose a pedal, and said, "Yep. They want me to make some money back here too."

I didn't say much, but grumbled on my way to the register. The shop manager was there and he remembered me (he sold me the pedals). He asked me if I had gotten them installed and I told him I couldn't get 'em off and that the guy in the back had put them on. I handed him the invoice.

He looked at me, said "Don't tell him I'm doing this," and put the invoice in a drawer. No charge.

Now doggone it, what shall I do with my "ready for a fight" energy that I brought into the store? This is the second time they've very pleasantly surprised me. First time you might remember I came in about two weeks after buying my bike and noticed it was now on sale -- and they refunded the difference (over $100) on the spot!

Mind you, this LBS is inconvenient -- at least four LBS's are closer to my place. But I guess I have to keep trading there -- they have a great attitude!

Oh -- and the $30 charge listed by the pedals display I still don't understand. Maybe it's for people who buy pedals for their used bikes and want them installed? I don't know.

I'm excited about my new pedals and look forward to a good ride this afternoon.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-31-07, 12:46 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Ending!

So I take the bike to the LBS, and they swap the pedals. The wrench used that long Park Tools wrench, and they came right off after a bit of ooommmphing. He agreed they were on tight. He greased the new pedals and installed 'em.

Then he hands me an invoice for $10. I question him, asking if that charge was applied to new bikes when the new owner choose a pedal, and said, "Yep. They want me to make some money back here too."

I didn't say much, but grumbled on my way to the register. The shop manager was there and he remembered me (he sold me the pedals). He asked me if I had gotten them installed and I told him I couldn't get 'em off and that the guy in the back had put them on. I handed him the invoice.

He looked at me, said "Don't tell him I'm doing this," and put the invoice in a drawer. No charge.

Now doggone it, what shall I do with my "ready for a fight" energy that I brought into the store? This is the second time they've very pleasantly surprised me. First time you might remember I came in about two weeks after buying my bike and noticed it was now on sale -- and they refunded the difference (over $100) on the spot!

Mind you, this LBS is inconvenient -- at least four LBS's are closer to my place. But I guess I have to keep trading there -- they have a great attitude!

Oh -- and the $30 charge listed by the pedals display I still don't understand. Maybe it's for people who buy pedals for their used bikes and want them installed? I don't know.

Good going DG. Now get out there and ride of all that pent up energy.

My guess is that the pedal change charge is for folks who bring in Nashbar purchased pedals and want the lbs to install them.
Old 07-31-07, 02:36 PM
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to me that's exactly what you should be doing with all that pent-up energy! Glad to hear it all worked out, and htat you have such a great LBS. This is the kind of place that keeps people coming back. I have one like this too- have to go into the center of town to get there, but it's definitely worth it.
Old 07-31-07, 03:11 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Ending!

Cool!
Old 07-31-07, 03:12 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Digital Gee;4972410]Happy Ending!

QUOTE]

Damn. I really wanted to see what you were gonna do with that big hammer and a jar of lube.
Old 07-31-07, 03:28 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Jet Travis;4973718]
Happy Ending!

QUOTE]

Damn. I really wanted to see what you were gonna do with that big hammer and a jar of lube.
hmmmmmmm.....................I was thinking the same thing

but this is a G rated forum
Old 07-31-07, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Ruby is too new to have really stuck pedals, unless someone forgot to put anti-sieze on the threads when they were installed. Take it all to the shop where you bought it. I know you are 'tool averse' and maybe you should leave well enough alone. They may want $ for it, but Ruby is too nice to abuse. bk
Old 08-01-07, 12:38 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
Maybe buy a big-a** cheap c-wrench of the right size. Spray on the WD 40. Let it set a spell. Wack the wrench (in the proper direction, of course) at the far end with a hammer, for maximum leverage. Lather, rinse, repeat.

If that doesn't work, find another LBS. I've bought pedals that cost less than $30.

when re-installing pedals, use some grease on the threads and don't overtighten.
Bad advice re: "don't overtighten". My LBS owner told me that pedals are about the only thing on the bike that you "can't overtighten".

Park Tools recommend 276-354 in-lbs of torque, depending on the pedal.

DG's pedal was likely not "stuck"...more likely, it was properly torqued, and his "shorty" pedal wrench was simply not up to the task of removal.
Old 08-01-07, 08:06 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Bad advice re: "don't overtighten". My LBS owner told me that pedals are about the only thing on the bike that you "can't overtighten".

Park Tools recommend 276-354 in-lbs of torque, depending on the pedal.

I've seen some references to being careful not to strip the threads due to over tightening. Why does Park recommend lbs of torque if it doesn't matter? I doubt I would have any problem applying too much pressure to over tighten

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-01-07, 08:14 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I've seen some references to being careful not to strip the threads due to over tightening. Why does Park recommend lbs of torque if it doesn't matter? I doubt I would have any problem applying too much pressure to over tighten
Well, if you used a really big wrench, or a "cheater bar" (i.e., a length of pipe), you could get 400+ in-lbs, and that could be bad. Probably not due to stripping, but due to how difficult it would be to remove. But with a standard pedal wrench, I doubt that over-torquing is much of an issue.

As for why Park recommends lbs of torque - every bolt on your bike has a recommended torque value. They're designed to ensure parts stay together, and not damage the components.
Old 08-01-07, 12:05 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
post-mortem comments:

as noted on the Park Tools site, put the chain on the large chain ring so you don't get impaled when you slip. I use a towel or two to pad things.

the length of the wrench makes a huge difference; get the longest one that you can.

In addition to the WD-40, stuff, I've also had success with boiling water.
Old 08-01-07, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you. I checked out some airfares from St Louis to San Diego, but I'd still have to charge somewhat more than $30.00. I'd be worth it though 'cause I'm good!
Old 08-01-07, 12:32 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm glad it worked out for you. I checked out some airfares from St Louis to San Diego, but I'd still have to charge somewhat more than $30.00. I'd be worth it though 'cause I'm good!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-01-07, 12:39 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I wonder if old auto mechanics tricks would work. We used amonia on stuck axle shafts. Part was to free stuck "stuff" and part was to chill the part so it would shrink slightly. Perhaps "icing" the pedal would work?

I had never noticed the one about putting the chain on the outer ring........filed that away for future reference as it seems like such a simple and reasonable suggestion.......ouch.
Old 08-01-07, 01:11 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still like the idea of a big hammer.
Old 08-01-07, 08:15 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any time I've got anything seized up on the bike (cartridge bearings in hubs, stuck seat post, stuck old-style stem in threaded steerer), and it's an aluminum-to-steel connection, my last resort is a propane torch. Heat the aluminum so it expands and then pull it loose, or wait until the aluminum and steel are cooling and pull it loose depending on whether the steel is inside the aluminum or vice-versa.

As far as tightening cranks, I once completely stripped the pedal threads on a set of old Ultegra cranks after swapping out a set of Shimano SPD pedals for a set of Bontrager SPD pedals. I'm not sure whether I overtightened or didn't tighten enough. Very strange. I had used an anti-seize lubricant on the threads, and I thought that might have contributed to this. I put the pedals on, went for a ride, and stripped the threads on both cranks while climbing a 1-km hill. Anway, I've had the Bontrager pedals on two subsequent sets of cheaper Shimano cranks and no problems.

- L.
Old 08-01-07, 08:27 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Now that you can get the pedals on and off, it's time for a set of these:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...0&category=114