My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We were just talking about this

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/...s/13022.0.html

Electric shifting with computer control appears to be farther along then we realized.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the "miniaturization" of electronics and technology, it is about time. Even after they perfect the system I'll have to wait till the price comes down.
    peace

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know one person who won't be buying it. I don't even like indexing.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, the simple joys of hopping on a bike and riding off......

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They mentioned on the tech section of Versus' TV of the TdF that 5 riders were using the new electronic stuff. IIRC, both Campy & Shimano had riders using it. They showed a shot on one of the hoods and the number of the cassette gear was showing.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me they are trying to take the joy out of bicycle riding. Years ago Honda came out with a automatic motorcycle and it was a big flop. I think the same thing would happen if they put it on bicycles
    George

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    With all the "miniaturization" of electronics and technology, it is about time. Even after they perfect the system I'll have to wait till the price comes down.
    peace
    +1 on the price coming down. Just like other electronics it will take a couple years before it's affordable for most people. I just hope they make it available before I'm too old to ride
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't clear on whether these shifters were allowed on the Tour itself or other racing situations. Seems to me that part of being a racer (or any other biking) is the human judgment and technique and skill of shifting gears as well as pumping the pedals. If electric shifting were allowed what's next? Electric pedal pushing too?

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me that there is very little benefit. It will be difficult to make it lighter, it still needs cables and now you have to be concerned that if your battery runs out your a fixi. Maybe if they get it to work wirelessly (that will be fun with crosstalk) and get rid of cables it might provide more advantage but I don't see why anyone would pay extra for it.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a great idea. All the OCP types will HAVE to have electronic shifting. This demand will lead to a flood of used, top end 10 speed stuff. That's when I move to 10 speed.
    I'm not joking. My 8 speed Rockhopper now has XT shifters, brake levers and brakes along with LX derailers. All upgrades from the original Allivio/Tektro level for $65, and I still have the original components.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I know one person who won't be buying it. I don't even like indexing.
    How 'bout a "fixie", Dawg?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    How 'bout a "fixie", Dawg?
    I'm going to build one someday. I have an old frame with horizontal dropouts. All I need to get is a round tuit.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat View Post
    Seems to me that part of being a racer (or any other biking) is the human judgment and technique and skill of shifting gears
    How much less techniqueful can it get than STI? My bikes are all pretty much "click and snick" now. Maybe they could emplant electrcal contacts in your helmet so that just thinking about shifting will make your bike shift.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    How much less techniqueful can it get than STI? My bikes are all pretty much "click and snick" now. Maybe they could emplant electrcal contacts in your helmet so that just thinking about shifting will make your bike shift.
    Amen to that. Even indexed downtube and bar end shifters at least had a direct and simple connection to the derailleurs. You move the lever, the cable moves the derailleur which moves the chain. With the brake lever shifters the action seems so disconnected from the result. Electronic shifting would take that disconnection to the next level. I guess after that they'll use servo motors and computer chips to simulate the feel and feedback of a real shifter.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen to you guys! I bet you would have complained when they made the wheels the same size instead of one big one in front, and one little one in back!!!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Listen to you guys! I bet you would have complained when they made the wheels the same size instead of one big one in front, and one little one in back!!!
    No. I like changes that make the experience of riding better, like clipless pedals for instance.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just over a month ago, I finally took the plunge and bought a bike with indexed shifters. I'm sure they will have the bugs worked out of the electronic shifters when I get them in about 15 years.

I still like that, with my friction shifters, I can go from a 7 speed wheel set up for flat routes to an 8 speed for the hills without having to mess with the dérailleur.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How many new automobiles on the lots have "paddle shifters"? Are they better or are they just like "what the formula 1 boys use?

On the other hand, do you still churn your butter in a barrel? Do you have a push mower? Do you shovel snow?

Or...........................are your bike clothes made of dry wicking fiber and are your shorts "bibs"?

That seems one of the hardest parts of getting "old". Which of the new technologies should I embrace and which should I hate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that the batteries recharge quickly and have a battery gauge so you can see if its' low on juice. Running out of juice would be about the same as having a shifter cable break while out on a ride (which has happened to me a couple of times).

I get the feeling some people think this is some sort of automatic transmission, but you still shift gears, its just done electronically rather than through mechanics.

I too would rather see it operate wireless over wired. We'll see how the finished system works and how it looks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nice thing is that, to my knowledge, no one is forcing us to use any particular shifting system. We still get to choose. Granted, it's harder and harder to find older friction stuff and most of the local LBS will stay current with the market place while not stocking as much of the older technology as some might like. But, we still get to pick what we ride. My rides currently include friction shifting, indexed shifting (8, 9 & 10 speeds), and I suspect if they get the electronic system nailed down, I'll get one of those too.... assuming the price is something I can afford.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    So what's your point?

Go take some more photos for us old guys to drool over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    It seems to me they are trying to take the joy out of bicycle riding. Years ago Honda came out with a automatic motorcycle and it was a big flop. I think the same thing would happen if they put it on bicycles
    I feel the same way about automatics vs clutches in cars.
    No clutch = no fun.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)