User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a Brooks in a Box

And out, too...

Got it on Saturday -too late for my Saturday ride (which was a brute, btw... in a good way)- so I threw it on the bike on Sunday and took it out for its maiden voyage Monday evening. After 12 miles what my first impression? The saddle is hard. Damned hard... and incredibly slippery. The nose was a bit down in front and just kept sliding all over the place. Granted, I haven't Proofrided it or anything... just straight out of the box and on to the bike. I don't want to grease it up until I know I'm not returning it.

But when I got my butt in -what I think is- the right spot, I knew it. You can really feel the ol' sit bones as 2 discreet points of contact. But oddly enough, the saddle just feels -I don't know- right? It is comfortable in a weird sort of way. You are perched on it and the legs swing completely free. There is no wasted energy going into flexing a cushy saddle. You push down on the pedal and the power just goes straight to the road. I feel more efficient. Why, I hardly even noticed the extra weight

I played with the adjustment a little just a bit ago. Obviously it still needs some tweaking - the nose looks too high. Feels OK but I know I should have it a little more level. Stupid Bontrager post seems to have no level, though; it's up at the nose or down. We'll see how that plays out.

Looks pretty darned good on that bike, though.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have all of my Brooks saddles set slightly nose high. Everything seems to just fall into the right place with the saddle set up that way.

+1 on the Bontrager seat posts. I wish they had a bit finer adjustment.

Enjoy your Brick, er, Brooks.

Edit: If it feels OK, why should you have it a little more level?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks great on the bike!

I had the same problem with mine being slippery. Like you I haven't put anything on it but since I don't plan on returning it I probably should do it and see if the slickness goes away. It's on my older Trek and I don't ride it too often.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks just has that "old school" look -- doesn't look quite right with a newer style bike. Sorry for the blasphemy...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The slickness will gradually lessen as you ride and sweat on it. I can't remember noticing the Proofide making that happen sooner or later. That seat does look a little more upward slanted than I put mine when new. At any rate, you'll be able to move it closer to level as the slickness subsides. It does look good on there. Welcome to the cult.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 07-31-07 at 07:48 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    The slickness will gradually lessen as you ride and sweat on it. I can't remember noticing that the Proofide making that happen sooner or later. That seat does look a little more upward slanted than I put mine when new. At any rate, you'll be able to move it closer to level as the slickness subsides. It does look good on there. Welcome to the cult.
    Women don't sweat How will I ever get rid of the slickness
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Just douse it with your water bottle before the next ride!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    You can "glow" it away.

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first impression of my first Brooks was exactly the same - hard and slick. It was immediately more comfortable than the old saddle. That is, it was less uncomfortable than the old, and somewhat uncomfortalbe in a different kind of way. After 150 miles, I never noticed the saddle again.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I find the slickness to be a desireable trait. I can easily move around on the saddle in response to different riding conditions. Why would you want to get rid of that?
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the black saddle nicely sets off the blue bike. If you like it after riding it the first time, I predict you are a convert and may soon be preaching the gospel according to bullhide to the unwashed.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    I think the black saddle nicely sets off the blue bike. If you like it after riding it the first time, I predict you are a convert and may soon be preaching the gospel according to bullhide to the unwashed.
    Well, let's not get carried, now, T-man
    Not hating it and liking it are two different things. Though, there absolutely are things I liked about the Brooks right out of the gate. Others I'll have to wait and see. I'll take it again tomorrow night and see. At this point it has more than earned the opportunity... I'll not be making any snap decisions. Sounds like I'm on the right track, anyway. As for the color... yeah, I couldn't agree more. Honey wouldn't have quite fit the color scheme. COLOR SCHEME???? Oh no, I'm becoming OCP!!!!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Au contrare! Honey could be gorgeous with that blue frame, IF you matched it with honey-coloured bar tape. It could be quite striking!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure the puppy doesn't chew on it.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Au contrare! Honey could be gorgeous with that blue frame, IF you matched it with honey-coloured bar tape. It could be quite striking!
    A blue bike with a honey brown Brooks? That's just silly.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Just douse it with your water bottle before the next ride!
    Good idea. I do carry a spray bottle of water in my bike bag....that will work.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ticwanos View Post
    Actually, I find the slickness to be a desireable trait. I can easily move around on the saddle in response to different riding conditions. Why would you want to get rid of that?
    I can just see myself sliding over the handle bar or sliding off the back on an emergency stop
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    Well, let's not get carried, now, T-man
    Not hating it and liking it are two different things. Though, there absolutely are things I liked about the Brooks right out of the gate. Others I'll have to wait and see. I'll take it again tomorrow night and see. At this point it has more than earned the opportunity... I'll not be making any snap decisions. Sounds like I'm on the right track, anyway. As for the color... yeah, I couldn't agree more. Honey wouldn't have quite fit the color scheme. COLOR SCHEME???? Oh no, I'm becoming OCP!!!!
    Color coordination isn't a sign of OCP It's very important in how the bike performs....just ask any woman. My black Brooks looks great on the gray/black Trek.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're happy with your purchase. Just ignore the fashion police and ride whatever you want to ride. Although, I would have gone with the honey.... The funny thing is that while you're riding it's pretty hard to care what color your seat is. Once off the bike, however, the visual appeal is a highly personal thing. As I said, I'm gald you're happy with your purchase. Hope you get thousands of comfort miles from it.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    A blue bike with a honey brown Brooks? That's just silly.

Wellllllll... OK... point taken.
    Being more specific, black was the only way to go with the '07 Reno's Blue/White/Black color scheme. For me. And, no Deeg, I don't really want to get into retaping my bars (though, yes, that would look really nice)

Quote Originally Posted by skipper
    If it feels OK, why should you have it a little more level?
    That's a good question, wish I had a good answer for it but you're right.
    I guess I'm just going by how it looks, which is totally immaterial, really.
    More to the point, I guess I won't really know until I give it a good ride. I haven't done much more than a couple of laps in front of the house to check the overall adjustment. I think another 12 miles is in order tonight. I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    Just make sure the puppy doesn't chew on it.
    Oh, heavens, NO! Then, that might help to break it in a little quicker, no?

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    That's exactly what I would like to do on my black Giant, but the bars on it aren't the type you tape. I still might get the honey saddle tho'. I think Brooks saddles are beautiful and elegant-looking.

The black one looks great on your blue bike.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    That's exactly what I would like to do on my black Giant, but the bars on it aren't the type you tape. I still might get the honey saddle tho'. I think Brooks saddles are beautiful and elegant-looking.

The black one looks great on your blue bike.
    I couldn't agree more. Timeless, beautiful, and elegant.
    And hand made the same way for over 100 years. Can't beat that.
    And, what can I say? I'm a sucker for leather and rivets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    And, what can I say? I'm a sucker for leather and rivets
    A bit on the kinky side....
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    A bit on the kinky side....
    Yeah I was thinking a little TMI...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, yeah,yeah. Men sweat - women glisten.

Here's the low-down on the slickness thing:
    Leather saddles are finished smooth for a reason. It's not just looks and ease of maintenance. Every time you move on the saddle, the slick surface allows air to get between you and the leather. This aids in the natural wicking action that make these timeless products so popular among those who take the effort to get used to them.

My advice is to do nothing that would reduce the slippery surface. Riding it will polish off finish in just the right places in good time. If you are sliding out of position, that's an adjustment issue. It looks like you have the right idea. The peak should be higher than the seat portion, which should be level with the ground - at least as a starting point.

The waxes, unquents, salves, creams, oils and other concoctions that people use to treat their saddles are all of some use, but none are strictly neccessary. I use SnoSeal on the bottom sides and an occasional clear boot polish on the tops to maintain the slick finish. Others use Proofide. Still others use mink oil or other leather treatments. The fact is, a new Brooks needs nothing, really. For many months and 3000 miles, I never put anything on a B17. I have two other 17's and two 67's that all had SnoSeal for wet weather, but there is no difference in actual ride as a result of having "treated" the leather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast