Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aretirement Plans?

I had to visit a customer and very handily- It was in Eastbourne. Eastbourne is my local Seaside town about 6 miles from where I live but it has a reputation for having one of the oldest populations in the UK. Lots of people Retire here so the highlight of the week is taking a walk on the one fine day that it is not raining.

Back to today. I had to take the coast road and there is one 16% hill that I do not like riding. Not the hill but it is very narrow and I do not like having Buses and trucks alongside me struggling to pass me and get up the hill. Right on the steep part of the hill there was a cyclist- going very slowly. He was riding and not pushing but he looked about 80 and he was riding a trike- but he had his dog well trained. The dog was a collie and instead of a collar- He had a harness on. There was the Trike- being pulled up the hill- Husky like.
    Then I got to the zigzags, which is part of my gentle hill climbing route. This is an easy climb but does look daunting. Right up the top there there were two Youngsters- about 20/25- pushing their mountain bikes up the hill. Hotly pursued by an older female- At least I think it was a female- riding her single speed Moulton. Now I would not like to ride a single speed up this hill, but to do it on a small wheeled bike like a Moulton up is plain stupid. Then down onto the front and plenty of older riders about- All heading for the ZigZags. Must have seen about 20 of them- All on Moultons.

Had time to pop into my LBS and I mentioned the Moultons and apparantly- this has become the bike of choice for the OLD generation in Eastbourne. They want a bike for exercise but they all live in Flats (Condo's I think you call them), They have trouble storing a bike in the flats so they have got onto the Moultons, or the moulton type. A fairly lightweight bike that they can get into the Lift and once in the flat- It folds down to a compact size.

So it looks like the Weekly Zimmer frame races are over with- From now on it is Riding the hill up the Alpine road at the end of the Front
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your description of switchbacks sounds like the Pyrenees so I thought perhaps you were getting a bit confused. But then with the English it is often difficult to figure out what you are talking about (I watch Little Britain). Never been to Eastbourne so I just visited it on Google Earth and I see there are great cliffs in the direction of Beachy Head, so there could be 16% grades and switchbacks. Now, what's this about retirement?

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken,
    Let's get one thing, well two, actually, straight: switch backs go up and down; hairpins, a la Pyrenees, go from side to side (zig-zag). Am I right, Stapfam? After all, we Brits had the language first, before the Americans mauled it

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
    Ken,
    Let's get one thing, well two, actually, straight: switch backs go up and down; hairpins, a la Pyrenees, go from side to side (zig-zag). Am I right, Stapfam? After all, we Brits had the language first, before the Americans mauled it
    Ahh, so that's why it is called "English". But now I am really confused. I thought hairpins were for holding your hair in place. Why would a road zig and zag unless it is to climb a steep slope? Do you zig-zag around trees? We just cut 'em down over here.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
    Ahh, so that's why it is called "English". But now I am really confused. I thought hairpins were for holding your hair in place. Why would a road zig and zag unless it is to climb a steep slope? Do you zig-zag around trees? We just cut 'em down over here.
    I give up! (and I've only lived in the US 20 years)

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
    Ken,
    We Yanks only "refined" English, and here in Texas, we have elevated English to an art form.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card View Post
    We Yanks only "refined" English, and here in Texas, we have elevated English to an art form.
    I think you had better apply your "refining" to oil, but I tend to agree with the "art form."

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zig Zags are hairpin after hairpin up steep hills- but the best you can call this hill is a steep slope. Seems pointless really but I'll try to get a pic so you can see how "Alpine" it is. Only real problem with it is that Cars do not realise how tight the bends are so you often find a car in the middle of the road as you are going down- because you have not realised how tight the bends are at 20MPH and you are in the middle of the road.

Attachment is of the Hill to the west of Eastbourne and the Zig Zags are about the middle half of the Hill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    << Zig Zags are hairpin after hairpin up steep hills>>

What Americans call switchbacks.

I know the hill you are describing, but have never ridden it.