Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freak Occurences ??

So I'm just riding onto this bridge this morning and a tractor & trailor comes grinding by and, while it was a bit behind me, kicked a thumb sized rock up and hit me in the hip. I look down in time to see the rock skittering in front of me. The driver actually saw it and gave a couple blasts on his airhorn. Either an apology or a triumphant "chalk up another one". I'm fine except for a bruise on the hip. A year ago in almost the same spot I and a partner got splashed by the leaky, dripping tallow truck that hawls away dead cows.

Home is where you find it. DeeGee stops for lattes and crab flautas. I encounter rocks and cow sh*t.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wasn't hauling Cinzano by any chance...
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
    Home is where you find it. DeeGee stops for lattes and crab flautas. I encounter rocks and cow sh*t.
    Such is life, young grasshopper...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'chaos'
    sortta like you're ridin along, absolute crak O dawn, on a seldom used path (by anyone), you're just about to the narrowest part of the road, absolutely, posotoovely NOTHIN GOIN ON, AND suddenly
    a pedestrian with cane decides to amble across your path, garbage truck overtakes and passes you from behind, some 90's somethin driver with coke bottle glasses in a rusty old Fleetwood is oncoming and passes, careening back and forth across the yellow line causing the g-truck to almost 'merge' with your body. AND a little yappy dog runs out into the street, directly under wheel , and proceeds to run back and forth in front of everybody/thing.
    seems like this happens on every ride...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezen View Post
    'chaos'
    sortta like you're ridin along, absolute crak O dawn, on a seldom used path (by anyone), you're just about to the narrowest part of the road, absolutely, posotoovely NOTHIN GOIN ON, AND suddenly
    a pedestrian with cane decides to amble across your path, garbage truck overtakes and passes you from behind, some 90's somethin driver with coke bottle glasses in a rusty old Fleetwood is oncoming and passes, careening back and forth across the yellow line causing the g-truck to almost 'merge' with your body. AND a little yappy dog runs out into the street, directly under wheel , and proceeds to run back and forth in front of everybody/thing.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Mine was nothing!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    He wasn't hauling Cinzano by any chance...
    No, and I wasn't drafting him past the speed limit either. Leave that to Dave S.

**I'm serious about pics of Mama's this weekend, Jet.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, and I wasn't drafting him past the speed limit either. Leave that to Dave S.

**I'm serious about pics of Mama's this weekend, Jet.
    I saw Breaking Away again last month--In Bloomington, IN. What a high! I'll be hauling what a friend calls "that big honkin' camera" up every climb.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    I saw Breaking Away again last month--In Bloomington, IN. What a high! I'll be hauling what a friend calls "that big honkin' camera" up every climb.
    In which case, be sure to use "fast" film. Har Har!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DeeGee stops for lattes and crab flautas. I encounter rocks and cow sh*t.

Are you saying there are no Fourbucks in your neck of the woods???
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezen View Post
    'chaos'

Timing is everything!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing it wasn't a 3ft piece of shredded tire. I have had that happen in my car and it almost took off my side mirror. get hit with one of those and you could loose your head. In fact I think Mythbusters demonstrated this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD4hB51HRuo
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What amazes me is that I'll be on a completely empty country road, absolutely no traffic. And then I see a car coming towards me. At the same time, I'll hear a car coming up from behind. Damned if we don't all pass each other at just about exactly the same point.

It happens all the time. I think it's another of the corollaries of Murphy's Law.

- L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    What amazes me is that I'll be on a completely empty country road, absolutely no traffic. And then I see a car coming towards me. At the same time, I'll hear a car coming up from behind. Damned if we don't all pass each other at just about exactly the same point.

It happens all the time. I think it's another of the corollaries of Murphy's Law.

- L.
    WOW !!! Deja Vu !!! Is that always you on the bike? Every time I take my bride out for a drive
    I've got to slow down to eliminate squeezing between some oncoming truck and an innocent,
    unsuspecting vulnerable biker. Hope I don't make you nervous waiting for a good stretch of
    road to pass you on !!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twenty years ago a woman I worked with was walking home from work on a neighborhood street. A tractor-trailer was passing, blew a tire and a portion of the wire bead hit her in the side of the head and logged pretty deeply in her brain. She spent the next three years on a ventilator before passing away. Large trucks and people generally don't mix well. Everytime a large truck starts approaching be from either direction I think of her. I really wish the U.S. would have invested more in the railway system four or five decades ago. We'd have a lot fewer trucks on the road today. Glad your injury was a very minor one.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone still ride without sun or safety glasses after reading this OP?

My Bikes
    IF, Litespeed, Bianchi, Fisher, Dahon, Schwinn, Burley
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Passing a golf course Tuesday I was hit with an errant golf ball. Bounced right off my handlebar hit me in the chin. I had on my safety glasses and my football helmet style protective chin guard with mouthpiece.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scary, I will stay on my MUP's regardless the negatives. Our road quality is terrible and deteriorating. Bike lanes are non existing or in bad shape. Rocks fly around and SUV's crowd you on roads build for smaller cars. (And there are SUV's with cell phone preoccupied drivers)