Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The BONK hits hard... without my oatmeal

Yesterday I went out for about 30 miles with some moderate climbing involved. This is a route I ride often. The temperature was in the mid 90s and the humidity up in the high 80s to low 90s. Typically, this kind of weather is not a problem for me. I hydrate adequately before, during and after the ride. I use a sports drink on the ride and take along an energy bar (which I seldom have to use). In the past, the ride has never been a problem even in identical weather. At about the 22 mile mark, after a brief quarter mile climb on a 9% grade, I simply hit the wall. I stopped and while eating the energy bar in the shade was wondering why today felt so hard. After a five to seven minute rest I climbed back on the bike and only got about four miles before I knew I had officially "bonked". The last four miles were torture. After limping home, cooling off and resting for an hour it came to me: I had skipped my usual bowl of oatmeal, raisins, and honey that morning for two "breakfast bars." I sure won't do that again. Who would have thought that oatmeal can make such a difference?
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oatmeal is the food of the gods. There's no substitute for those slow burning whole grains.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't do many of my morning rides without the oatmeal. I see a big difference in my energy level if I eat other breakfast foods
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ride was almost identical to yours, but I usually have a bowl of Total and I've been using it for years. It seems to work pretty good. What I was really happy about, was the fact that I found some hills, about 5 miles west of where I usually ride.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say, olde chappes, for years, actually, some social classes of English/Irish existed on a diet perhaps predominantly oatmeal. The "oaken walls" of England's fleet that maintained the Empire would have been better labeled "oatmeal" walls...though perhaps not literally structured so.

IOW, I am also a fan of morning oatmeal. I refuse to call it porridge or gruel.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=CrossChain;4986099]I am also a fan of morning oatmeal. QUOTE]

And all this time I thought you went for those ini foods. Zucchini...Fettucini...Luinguini...

I want some American food. I want French Fries, dammit!
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Jet Travis;4986245]
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
    I am also a fan of morning oatmeal. QUOTE]

And all this time I thought you went for those ini foods. Zucchini...Fettucini...Luinguini...

Jet...you're my kind of guy....you wouldn't happen to have an older, single sister? Una "spinster" bella?

***The above quote, also "Refund, refund, refund", and others including "Santa Maria", "The Italians are coming, the Italians are coming", will forever echo.

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I eat a bowl of McCann's oatmeal, made with non-fat calcium enriched milk, plus 1 cup of fruit, plus 2 tblsp. of nuts every morning. It's a great way to start a ride, and a day!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say, olde chappes, for years, actually, some social classes of English/Irish existed on a diet perhaps predominantly oatmeal. The "oaken walls" of England's fleet that maintained the Empire would have been better labeled "oatmeal" walls...though perhaps not literally structured so.

IOW, I am also a fan of morning oatmeal. I refuse to call it porridge or gruel.
    Gruel was given in the workhouses and was water with some thing in it- Normally boiled water with a rotten cabbage leaf and Horse bran. Now porridge is fantastic. and I am of an age when I can remember it being boiled for hours--Before the Quick oats came about. Oatmeal is generraly the name put in the additive to cakes and biscuits so if you are making your "Porridge" out of Oatmeal- Then I do pity you. Now the ones I do pity are those that prefer the "Instant" porridge where you pour on water and eat.

Unfortunately- I once went to stay with a Scottish family out on the islands. They made Porridge the traditional scottish way and that included growing the oats in the first place. It was disgusting. And if I could have spoken Gaelic, which was the family's native tongue- I would have let them know.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    Yesterday I went out for about 30 miles with some moderate climbing involved. This is a route I ride often. The temperature was in the mid 90s and the humidity up in the high 80s to low 90s. Typically, this kind of weather is not a problem for me. I hydrate adequately before, during and after the ride. I use a sports drink on the ride and take along an energy bar (which I seldom have to use). In the past, the ride has never been a problem even in identical weather. At about the 22 mile mark, after a brief quarter mile climb on a 9% grade, I simply hit the wall. I stopped and while eating the energy bar in the shade was wondering why today felt so hard. After a five to seven minute rest I climbed back on the bike and only got about four miles before I knew I had officially "bonked". The last four miles were torture. After limping home, cooling off and resting for an hour it came to me: I had skipped my usual bowl of oatmeal, raisins, and honey that morning for two "breakfast bars." I sure won't do that again. Who would have thought that oatmeal can make such a difference?
    I had a similar experience last evening in similar weather conditions, riding paceline on the flat. I was OK on the 10 mile outward run at 18-20mph, but on the way back at 22-23mph I blew up after about 5 miles. When I thought about it, I hadn't had much to eat since breakfast and hadn't hydrated before the ride Stupid, I know. My HR went to 140 and wanted to stay there even after I dropped off the back of the line. It was still over 70 when I went to bed (my resting is HR is 45) and I felt weak. I was fine this morning. Just goes to show that heat, humidity and lack of nutrition don't make for good riding

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <<Now the ones I do pity are those that prefer the "Instant" porridge where you pour on water and eat.>>

Ah, but, Stapfam, it's very useful when you have to be out at 7.00am for a 7.30 ride to beat the heat.
    It's pretty gruesome, but it works!

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    I loves me my oatmeal! Even in hot weather, oatmeal, raisins, maple syrup and milk (soy or otherwise) is a rib-stickin' way to start a day, especially when the day involves a ride. Breakfast bars (isn't that where you order a Bloody Mary?) are okay for a cycling class, but they're a poor substitute for a real breakfast.

Fuel your machine.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Weekday after work rides are usually not a problem, I've been eating during the day.

Weekend morning rides (more common in hot weather) present their own dietary requirements. Eat something that will stay with you but not so bulky as to occupy your digestive system enough to rob energy from the riding.

Often a bagel with peanut butter (if bagel is unavailable, a plain peanut butter sandwich) will do the deed.

My Bikes
    Waterford RS-22;Bottechia-giro 'd italia(ca.1971)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Jet Travis;4986245]
    I am also a fan of morning oatmeal. QUOTE]

and PIZZA!

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most mornings, I just have a 1% milk, banana, and protein powder shake for breakfast. If it's a weekend and I'm doing a morning ride, though, breakfast is a large bowl of oatmeal. Good stuff.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oatmeal with cinnamon and brown sugar, or, grits with peanut butter and honey. Breakfast bars go into the kit bag for touch-ups along the way...

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question: Are there signs that you are headed for a bonk before it actually happens? Or, do you just feel normal exertion and then BONK you're there? In other words, are there subtle signs it's coming so you can do something while riding to prevent it before it hits?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Question: Are there signs that you are headed for a bonk before it actually happens? Or, do you just feel normal exertion and then BONK you're there? In other words, are there subtle signs it's coming so you can do something while riding to prevent it before it hits?
    It doesn't seem to be the same for everyone. In fact, some people seem to be able to eat all the wrong things, and still finish a long, tough ride without problem. Both times I've bonked, I was hammering one minute, and sitting beside the road unable to stand, the next. Both times, a sugar fix got me feeling better, but only on one ride did I regain enough strength to continue.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent View Post
    It doesn't seem to be the same for everyone. In fact, some people seem to be able to eat all the wrong things, and still finish a long, tough ride without problem. Both times I've bonked, I was hammering one minute, and sitting beside the road unable to stand, the next. Both times, a sugar fix got me feeling better, but only on one ride did I regain enough strength to continue.
    For me I can tell I'm heading for trouble. I begin to feel weak, hands start shaking and I have trouble speaking. If I can get something to eat quickly I'll recover. If I don't get something to eat then the riding is over for the day
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never bike without a breakfast as follows:
    Double oatmeal plus cereals plus milk plus fruit. A slice of multi grain with butter and jelly.

I am getting hungry reading this.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    If I don't get something to eat then the riding is over for the day
    How do you get home?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker