Thread: Deflated

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deflated

So this morning I was out riding and feeling pretty good about the ride. it's warm but I'm moving right along. On one particularly long, gradual climb I was actually in a higher gear than I normally use. I'm feeling pretty good about myself when all of a sudden I hear, “Hello.” And this guy blows by me like I’m standing still. Oh well. That pretty much let the air out of my balloon.

BUT I weighed 198 lbs. in December. I was 177 lbs. this morning when I got in from the ride!

Speed Bump
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    BUT I weighed 198 lbs. in December. I was 177 lbs. this morning when I got in from the ride!
    Sometimes deflation is A Good Thing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a 50+'er if you're not used to guys (and gals) blowing by you as if you were standing still, well you better get used to it!

All we can do is be happy with our own fitness and progress. Compare yourself to your colleagues at work, not the riders you meet on the road! You're probably in the top 10% of fitness among all age groups at work no?

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    As a 50+'er if you're not used to guys (and gals) blowing by you as if you were standing still, well you better get used to it!

All we can do is be happy with our own fitness and progress. Compare yourself to your colleagues at work, not the riders you meet on the road! You're probably in the top 10% of fitness among all age groups at work no?
    +1
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you have to do is an organised metric and wait till about the 40 mile mark- Then it is you saying Hello as you draw alongside them to find out why they have slowed down.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone blows past me every time I take a ride. Once in a while, I blow by someone else. And so it goes.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    So this morning I was out riding and feeling pretty good about the ride. it's warm but I'm moving right along. On one particularly long, gradual climb I was actually in a higher gear than I normally use. I'm feeling pretty good about myself when all of a sudden I hear, “Hello.” And this guy blows by me like I’m standing still. Oh well. That pretty much let the air out of my balloon.

Beware the "poseur pass". You may have been a victim.

The poser sees you ahead and cranks it out. Just as he pulls even with you he eases back on the pedal pressure and maybe even upshifts so it looks like he was just cruising at his usual speed. Then when he thinks you can't see him anymore, he slows down and pukes on the side of the road.

I've had it done to me, the stinking posers.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be worse. You could have been blowing by everybody on the hills. You could have been in the Yellow Jersey at this time last week, only to be kicked out of the tour, kicked off your team, kicked out of the Olympics and forced to give back a year's salary. All on international television.

Seriously, if you were riding while I was in the office today, you're already a winner. And if you've dropped 20 pounds, I think I know where some of them went.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's always someone faster
    There's always someone slower

enjoy the ride
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

It's all about the Ort. TrackGuy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Centurion Trac; Carnielli; Ross Mt Hood; TREK 5200.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not everyday is Time Trial. Run your own race.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time stick your frame pump in his front spokes just behind the fork. That'll slow him down for a bit.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post

The poser sees you ahead and cranks it out. Just as he pulls even with you he eases back on the pedal pressure and maybe even upshifts so it looks like he was just cruising at his usual speed. Then when he thinks you can't see him anymore, he slows down and pukes on the side of the road.
    Yeah, this always amuses me. I'll be cruising along comfortably at 32 kmh, and some dude blows by me. So I quickly wind it up and sit on his wheel, and see that he's doing maybe 38 kmh. But soon this drops to 35 kmh. Then 33. Then 30. So now he's going slower than I was when he blew by me! He's been counting on me to just let him ride off, and not considering that I might have been doing real bike races for the past 35 years (and you can be sure that these kinds of guys have never done a real bike race in their lives). And what really kills me is when they see they can't drop you, they'll do a quick turn down a side street to avoid the ignominy of you passing them! Talk about insecure males. I really enjoy hearing stories of how real female bike racers deal with these clowns!

- L.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    Yeah, this always amuses me. I'll be cruising along comfortably at 32 kmh, and some dude blows by me. So I quickly wind it up and sit on his wheel, and see that he's doing maybe 38 kmh. But soon this drops to 35 kmh. Then 33. Then 30. So now he's going slower than I was when he blew by me! He's been counting on me to just let him ride off, and not considering that I might have been doing real bike races for the past 35 years (and you can be sure that these kinds of guys have never done a real bike race in their lives). And what really kills me is when they see they can't drop you, they'll do a quick turn down a side street to avoid the ignominy of you passing them! Talk about insecure males. I really enjoy hearing stories of how real female bike racers deal with these clowns!

- L.
    I'm surprised anyone even thinks about or would do stuff like this - either one.

Pity the poor SOB who is doing an interval or pickup and happens to pass you while he's on the fast portion of his ride, then slows down as part of his plan for the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackGuy View Post
    Not everyday is Time Trial. Run your own race.
    +1
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Bianchi, Trek, Another Trek, Raleigh, Fuji and Santana and another Santana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, so there's a name for this. I was unaware. I do this to my BIL (A stripling youth of 48) every chance I get. The trick is to to not appear to be breathing hard when you pass. Breath control is is very important to a properly executed poseur pass.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference between instantaneous effort and sustained effort. I have had this happen to me before as well. I just let people pass and keep my effort up and see where it goes. Sometimes after a fast pass I can see other rider get 200m ahead and start the peddle/coast routine, or the guys that come zooming pass on the downwind leg whom you catch later chugging along against the wind. I think it is kind of fun, mind games can help the time go by sometimes, I'm in a lone or two man breakaway almost every day and it always succeeds
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They usually turn off right after they pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the way our cross country coach told us to always pass other runners.

Paul

My Bikes
    All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just hope they pass and leave me alone, don't stick around and gloat.
    I stop when I cimb hills and rest, I have been passed by people on touring bikes, fully loaded going uphill.
    Steven

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    I'm surprised anyone even thinks about or would do stuff like this - either one.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Camilo, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably ride about 50% of the time by myself as I seem to be riding more than my current riding group and just started riding again about 2 months ago and am 59 so I get passed. Fun to push myself to keep up for a while at a faster pace and try to move my conditioning along or push them for a while to see if they were posing or perhaps they were sprinting the last mile on the way in like I do. Have seen the turn-off move where someone just doesn't want to be chased or can't keep it up. I like the game and it helps me and I turn it off when I feel like it. As we used to say on the water "someone always has a bigger boat". I'm on my plan and program not theirs so I don't deflate.

If they are in better shape I don't care if they are male, female, green and yellow martian...give 'em their due and do your own program. Sounds like you are doing great. I've just dropped 17 lbs and am going for 25. I'll be faster and stronger after I lose the additional 8 lbs. Feel good about it.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's worse for recumbent riders. I blow by everyone going downhill just because I'm naturally that much faster than they are downhill, then when they pass me back on the uphill, they give me one of those "You worthless poseur passer, I've shown you now" looks.

And even riders who thought they were doing a recovery ride aren't going to let a recumbent stay in front of them if they can help it.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Camilo, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    word

But have you noticed that the older you get, the more opinionated you become and the more you don't give a rat's patoot. My kids say I'm increasing in the geezer factor.

mud
    My Bikes
    07 Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My name is Fred and I am a 61 yo poseur. I cannot pass anyone or even catch up with anyone! While hammering it on a flat, women pass me riding side by side and carrying on a conversation about there kids and grandkids.
    I know, I need a new CF road bike and I'll go really fast!
    Mud
    I'm not old! I've always been wrinkled, balding with a spare tire.