Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any 50+ feed back on Gold Rush or Tour Easy?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 03:31 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Several years ago I had a Bacchetta Strada that I rode 2 years and traded it off. I really didn't like the high BB because my feet went to sleep on long rides and I kept getting recumbent butt. I've been thinking about getting a Gold Rush Racer EX or a Tour Easy EX. I'll use them for daily riding to stay in shape so I can still drink a beer and for touring. The EX package gives me 19" gearing on the lower side which should help getting up the hills. 113" on the top side is more than my old body can pull for any length of time. Any feedback on advantages and disadvantages of either bike would be appreciated.

John

ps: My LBS keeps suggesting I look at Rans.
Old 08-03-07, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ride all the bikes you can, then decide which one you like best. If you end up with a Rans Stratus, see if they have any left from 2006, which are the models with the better componenets.
Old 08-03-07, 03:17 PM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy Racers are great bikes although have never owned one. They have a super reputation, as do the RANS bikes that dchiefransom mentioned. There are a lot of other good LWB and CLWB bikes around, too.
I've never seen anyone get numb feet on a lower bb bent but I suppose it could happen. I've never got recumbent butt on mine although others do. As dchief says, ride as many as possible and if none jump out at you as better close your eyes and grab.
Old 08-03-07, 03:19 PM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
19 to 113 should give you a pretty good range for climbing those SF hills. Gear down and spin. If you get tired, just grab on to a cable car!