Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Freak Occurences ??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Freak Occurences ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Freak Occurences ??

So I'm just riding onto this bridge this morning and a tractor & trailor comes grinding by and, while it was a bit behind me, kicked a thumb sized rock up and hit me in the hip. I look down in time to see the rock skittering in front of me. The driver actually saw it and gave a couple blasts on his airhorn. Either an apology or a triumphant "chalk up another one". I'm fine except for a bruise on the hip. A year ago in almost the same spot I and a partner got splashed by the leaky, dripping tallow truck that hawls away dead cows.

Home is where you find it. DeeGee stops for lattes and crab flautas. I encounter rocks and cow sh*t.

Old 08-01-07, 04:28 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He wasn't hauling Cinzano by any chance...
Old 08-01-07, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Home is where you find it. DeeGee stops for lattes and crab flautas. I encounter rocks and cow sh*t.
Such is life, young grasshopper...
Old 08-01-07, 05:23 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
'chaos'
sortta like you're ridin along, absolute crak O dawn, on a seldom used path (by anyone), you're just about to the narrowest part of the road, absolutely, posotoovely NOTHIN GOIN ON, AND suddenly
a pedestrian with cane decides to amble across your path, garbage truck overtakes and passes you from behind, some 90's somethin driver with coke bottle glasses in a rusty old Fleetwood is oncoming and passes, careening back and forth across the yellow line causing the g-truck to almost 'merge' with your body. AND a little yappy dog runs out into the street, directly under wheel , and proceeds to run back and forth in front of everybody/thing.
seems like this happens on every ride...
Old 08-01-07, 07:12 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclezen
'chaos'
sortta like you're ridin along, absolute crak O dawn, on a seldom used path (by anyone), you're just about to the narrowest part of the road, absolutely, posotoovely NOTHIN GOIN ON, AND suddenly
a pedestrian with cane decides to amble across your path, garbage truck overtakes and passes you from behind, some 90's somethin driver with coke bottle glasses in a rusty old Fleetwood is oncoming and passes, careening back and forth across the yellow line causing the g-truck to almost 'merge' with your body. AND a little yappy dog runs out into the street, directly under wheel , and proceeds to run back and forth in front of everybody/thing.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Mine was nothing!!
Old 08-01-07, 07:14 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
He wasn't hauling Cinzano by any chance...
No, and I wasn't drafting him past the speed limit either. Leave that to Dave S.

**I'm serious about pics of Mama's this weekend, Jet.
Old 08-01-07, 07:37 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, and I wasn't drafting him past the speed limit either. Leave that to Dave S.

**I'm serious about pics of Mama's this weekend, Jet.
I saw Breaking Away again last month--In Bloomington, IN. What a high! I'll be hauling what a friend calls "that big honkin' camera" up every climb.
Old 08-01-07, 08:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
I saw Breaking Away again last month--In Bloomington, IN. What a high! I'll be hauling what a friend calls "that big honkin' camera" up every climb.
In which case, be sure to use "fast" film. Har Har!
Old 08-01-07, 08:46 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DeeGee stops for lattes and crab flautas. I encounter rocks and cow sh*t.

Are you saying there are no Fourbucks in your neck of the woods???

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-01-07, 09:46 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
'chaos'

Timing is everything!
Old 08-02-07, 05:50 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good thing it wasn't a 3ft piece of shredded tire. I have had that happen in my car and it almost took off my side mirror. get hit with one of those and you could loose your head. In fact I think Mythbusters demonstrated this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD4hB51HRuo

2013 Noah RS
Old 08-02-07, 11:28 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What amazes me is that I'll be on a completely empty country road, absolutely no traffic. And then I see a car coming towards me. At the same time, I'll hear a car coming up from behind. Damned if we don't all pass each other at just about exactly the same point.

It happens all the time. I think it's another of the corollaries of Murphy's Law.

- L.
Old 08-03-07, 12:21 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
What amazes me is that I'll be on a completely empty country road, absolutely no traffic. And then I see a car coming towards me. At the same time, I'll hear a car coming up from behind. Damned if we don't all pass each other at just about exactly the same point.

It happens all the time. I think it's another of the corollaries of Murphy's Law.

- L.
WOW !!! Deja Vu !!! Is that always you on the bike? Every time I take my bride out for a drive
I've got to slow down to eliminate squeezing between some oncoming truck and an innocent,
unsuspecting vulnerable biker. Hope I don't make you nervous waiting for a good stretch of
road to pass you on !!!!!!!
Old 08-03-07, 06:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Twenty years ago a woman I worked with was walking home from work on a neighborhood street. A tractor-trailer was passing, blew a tire and a portion of the wire bead hit her in the side of the head and logged pretty deeply in her brain. She spent the next three years on a ventilator before passing away. Large trucks and people generally don't mix well. Everytime a large truck starts approaching be from either direction I think of her. I really wish the U.S. would have invested more in the railway system four or five decades ago. We'd have a lot fewer trucks on the road today. Glad your injury was a very minor one.
Old 08-03-07, 07:21 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Anyone still ride without sun or safety glasses after reading this OP?
Old 08-03-07, 07:31 AM
... .

Bikes: IF, Litespeed, Bianchi, Fisher, Dahon, Schwinn, Burley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Passing a golf course Tuesday I was hit with an errant golf ball. Bounced right off my handlebar hit me in the chin. I had on my safety glasses and my football helmet style protective chin guard with mouthpiece.
Old 08-03-07, 07:44 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scary, I will stay on my MUP's regardless the negatives. Our road quality is terrible and deteriorating. Bike lanes are non existing or in bad shape. Rocks fly around and SUV's crowd you on roads build for smaller cars. (And there are SUV's with cell phone preoccupied drivers)