Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

max heart rate of a youngster?

Based on the general formula of subtracting your age from 220, if your MHR is 182, does that mean you have a heart of a 38 year old?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Zipper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that formula works, then I have the heart of a 48 year old. Only problem is, it's inside a 68 year old body.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The formulas are not accurate and shouldn't be paid much attention to. I don't know if it's even based on a reasonable distribution. I'd say a more "accurate" formula would be (220 minus age) +- 10 based on the guys I know who have measured their max. That's a huge span.

As a point of reference, what is a fetal heart beat - something like 140 and they're not even working hard, just floating around relaxing.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think part of the problem with this formula is that it is probably been derived based on experience with people on treadmills. Max HR is activity specific and cycling seems to produce higher max HR than other activities. My MHR on the bike is 197, when I went in for a stress test I could not get up higher than 185 on a inclined treadmill, this is much closer to the formula for me which would be 170. But it is still off quite a bit for me
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
    If that formula works, then I have the heart of a 48 year old. Only problem is, it's inside a 68 year old body.
    That's a problem? No way, that's cool.

I'd bet my bottom dollar you could beat most the 48 year olds out there too.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche