Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre-Flight Checks

Okay, pre-biking checks. I've discovered two pre-checks which would be a good idea to do:
    1. Got Water? I have a couple of water bottles for the bike frame, and I either:
    A. Take off with the water bottles empty ... but in the water bottle cages. Or ...
    B. I have the proper planning to grab the bottles, fill them with cold water and put them in the freezer just prior to hitting the road ... and hit the road with the water bottles still in the freezer.

2. Check the brake cables ... and brake caliper opener thingie (that you open to remove front wheel). I've always favored my rear brake, which explains why I've made two 15 mile rides with the front brake caliper thingie wide open ... meaning no front brakes while zipping down hills at 20 MPH.

What else are good pre-biking checks when going out for a 2 hour ride from your house? And would there be different pre-biking checks you would do based on the temperature (100+ degree heat index this week), the season (Michigan winters), and metropark-MUP rides versus road rides?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a few

ID on board?

Cell phone?

Is the bike bag closed and zipped up tight? (Learned that one from Granny Gear)
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to air up the tires.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nutrition of choice for rides over 1 hr.

My Bikes
    Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
    Nutrition of choice for rides over 1 hr.
    Full water bottles
    Air in tires
    HRM strap
    Power gel and clif bar.
    Wallet and cell phone in sandwich bag.

Did I use the loo?
    Do I need to?
    Maybe I better make sure...

Ready to go.
    2012 TransAm Tour journal link: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Threeisacharm

Naked Carbon Weave Aegis Aro Svelte, Purpleen Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Orange Santana Triplet, Surly Long Haul Trucker

So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 4th Century B.C.E.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...33f/weight.png

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can remember my big 4: Cell phone, wallet, sunglasses, keys. Everything else I need reminders on. So, I refill water bottles and put them in the fridge...then I hang my gloves on the bottle cages so I'll remember the bottles. Wrap my HR strap around the handle bars to remind me to attach the Garmin. Zip lock bag with bar, banana and a couple of gels. Now if I just had a sure way to not forget my shoes.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is surprising how many times I go out without some vital part of the bike or cycling gear.
    Helmet always has gloves and glasses in it so those 3 will always go with me. On the bike are a tool bag that never gets taken off and I have one for each bike--The same with the pump. Computer is normally taken off the bike after each ride and is left indoors somewhere but is never forgotten for some reason. Water bottle always stays on the bike- Only one but after each ride- it is taken in for a wash and an empty one put in the cage- upside down. If it is a longer ride than normal then the Camelback gets taken on the ride and that is always a problem. I rarely use it on the road as Cafe stops and shops are handy for fresh water. But that camelback needs a thorough clean after use and I always forget to clean it. so it is a 1 hour wait while the Disinfectant gets to work if I want to use it.

So all those tips so that I never forget anything and the water bottle is often left upside down and empty. The repair kit in the tool bag is often left in the shed after I repaired a neighbours tube-and the same with the pump as I used that on the repair. Computer is never forgotten but I often have to use one off another bike as I can't find the right one. And I often can't find the camelback as last time I used it- The wife put it somewhere- instead of in the lounge where I left it to remind me to clean it out and Even she forgot where she put it.

Now when it comes to pre-ride checks- I always do it after a ride when I check the bike over- Other than Pump up the tyres with the track pump- the bike is always ready to go. Just a pity my Brain isn't.
    Last edited by stapfam; 08-04-07 at 03:16 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've convinced me to post a pre-ride checklist on the wall above where I store my bike. Thanks!

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Condom?
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Condom?
    You can never have too much protection.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact lens rewetting solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ALWAYS forget to check the charge on my cell phone!

My Bikes
    Schwinn Traveler, Giant Cypress
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the wife goes with me on a ride she gets mad at me for "taking forever to get ready" but guess who gets to fix her bike if something goes wrong.

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "ABC Quick Check", per the League of American Cyclists:

1. A is for air
    * Inflate tires to rated pressure as listed on the sidewall of the tire
    * Use a pressure gauge to insure proper pressure
    * Check for damage to tire tread and sidewall; replace if damaged

2. B is for brakes
    * Inspect pads for wear; replace is there is less than " of pad left
    * Check pad adjustment; make sure they do not rub tire or dive into spokes
    * Check brake level travel; at least 1" between bar and lever when applied

3. C is for cranks, chain and cassette
    * Make sure that your crank bolts are tight; lube the threads only, nothing else
    * Check your chain for wear; 12 links should measure no more than 12 1/8 inches
    * If your chain skips on your cassette, you might need a new one or just an adjustment

4. Quick is for quick releases
    * Hubs need to be tight in the frame; your quick release should engage at 90
    * Your hub quick release should point back to insure that nothing catches on it
    * Inspect brake quick releases to insure that they have been re-engaged

5. Check is for check it over
    * Take a quick ride to check if derailleurs and brakes are working properly
    * Inspect the bike for loose or broken parts; tighten, replace or fix them
    * Pay extra attention to your bike during the first few miles of the ride
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all the essentials have been covered, but I also put on sunscreen before every ride. It protects my arms from sunburn and assures that I'll return home just as pale as when I left.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Blue Racing Rc4AL w/Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned this little routine from when I taught skiing (leaving a piece of ski gear behind is, um, worse?):

* Point to parts of your body, from feet up to your head:
    shoes, socks, shorts, jersey, gloves, sunglasses, helmet. check.

* each pocket of the jersey (left to right for me)
    nutrition; tube, pump (I wear mine, a Crank Bros), tri-spoke allen wrench and balled up rain jacket; cellphone, wallet, keys

* do the same with the bike:
    air in the tires, saddle bag, water bottles (filled!)

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havn't seen anyone list a spare tube and pump or CO2 canisters. Maybe I missed it. Additionally I ALWAYS pack a Topeak multi-tool with chain breaker, Presta adaptor and 4" folding knife.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Condom?
    Good for covering your computer if it should rain.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I was the only one who takes forever to get ready for a ride. I think you guys have covered most of my list except sunglasses or other eye protection. And did anyone mention gloves yet?

Nevermind, I see stapfam and Superdex have it covered...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Good for covering your computer if it should rain.
    Yes, they are prominently displayed in my LBS, right next to their cyclo computer display!
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I thought I was the only one who takes forever to get ready for a ride. I think you guys have covered most of my list except sunglasses or other eye protection. And did anyone mention gloves yet?
    Which is exactly why I have what I call my "Road Utility Bike."

It is usually totally ready to go, and it has toe clips. So, I can jump on it wearing whatever I might have on - regular shorts, sweat shirt, Levis in winter, whatever, including tennis shoes, and just pedal away. The only requirement is one rubber band on the right pants leg (I keep losing those thingies that are made just for that purpose, so I just have a large box of rubber bands.)

It has panniers so I can go to the grocery store and get stuff, etc.

Sometimes it just takes too long to get all duded up! Fast is good.

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy View Post
    Don't forget to air up the tires.
    But make sure you're cat (aka: The Gremlin) is not in the area. My new bike came with cool transparent presta valve caps. Aired up one tire, then the next, and poof: one of the valve caps was stolen by Smokey the Gremlin. My money is betting that the transparent valve is now in one of the black holes within the basement ... never to be seen again.

How mission-critical is it to have the valve caps on the wheels? For riding off-road through bushes, it's probably mandatory, but what about on-road riding?

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorad View Post
    How mission-critical is it to have the valve caps on the wheels? For riding off-road through bushes, it's probably mandatory, but what about on-road riding?
    They're superfluous. Per Sheldon Brown:

In the case of Presta valves, which have non-removeable, built-in caps, external caps are unnecessary in use. The purpose of these redundant caps that come with Presta tubes and tubulars is so that the pointy end of the valve won't puncture your spare tube or tubular while it is rolled up. There's no reason to use them in actual riding
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn my cell phone to vibrate only. I hate riding along and having the phone ring. I'd much sooner have it vibrate so that I can discretely pull over to the side, look to see who is calling, and either answer it or not without others knowing I've ogt someone calling me.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.