I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25 @ 17

Had a good ride today, despite still trying to tweak the darn thing in. I rode around a reservoir on a great MUP that is literally the width of a two lane street, and with good markings on it as well (Stay Right Pass Left is painted on every so often).

For some reason I can't begin to fathom, I decided to shift into the Big Ring at the beginning of the ride. I adjusted the rear cassette and think I was riding 52-17.

Anyway, in any event, I suddenly got faster! I was able to do the whole ride at about 17 mph, and it was fun. Still working out the seat post, the saddle fore and aft, etc. which is getting old, but I liked the Big Ring!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I had a chance to ride a flat, paved, lightly used bike trail. Really my first ride of more than about 2 miles on asphalt in about 10-15 years. I was able to average 15 over a 12 mile ride. By far my fastest ride in many years. I jacked it up a couple of times and was cruising along at 17.5-18.5. Dropped a couple of older teenagers on mountain bikes who tried to hold me off but they weren't able to maintain that speed and I eventually left them in the dust.

Very interesting ride for me, it being my first ride since my 43-miler earlier in the week where I couldn't hold a speed over 12.

I might have been able to hold 15 for a few more miles but only had about 50 minutes of time before I had to be somewhere else.

Must admit that it felt good to be able to do that. And I was still sitting upright and enjoying a view of the river as I rode. And it was entirely in the middle ring, no big ring yet for me.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Had a good ride today, despite still trying to tweak the darn thing in. I rode around a reservoir on a great MUP that is literally the width of a two lane street, and with good markings on it as well (Stay Right Pass Left is painted on every so often).

For some reason I can't begin to fathom, I decided to shift into the Big Ring at the beginning of the ride. I adjusted the rear cassette and think I was riding 52-17.

Anyway, in any event, I suddenly got faster! I was able to do the whole ride at about 17 mph, and it was fun. Still working out the seat post, the saddle fore and aft, etc. which is getting old, but I liked the Big Ring!
    DG - you've got to get the aerobars installed so you can be ready for white bike challenge. I have the parts in house now and am ready to convert the black stallion

I was feeling surprisingly good on the 95F+ ride home a couple days ago and fell in with a couple bikers heading my way at 21+ mph. (nice level stretch of MUP). The carbon fiber riding youngster (anyone under 40 is a youngster) pulled up slightly and I took the lead at 23+ mph. A minute later I looked back and they had fallen back! The bottom line is a 19.3 mph commute. It is fun to stretch the legs occasionally and finding unexpected speed is a real treat.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that "above average speed" can't be predicted. No matter how carefully I prepare for a ride or get psyched up, "speed" comes to me at the oddest times. I was holding 20 to 22 MPH yesterday morning for minutes on end with no tail wind and a flat route. Most days 16 mph in those conditions is an effort. Other days, 14 is my absolute max. Can't figure it out!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG and TB, hammerheads.

Whodathunkit?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    DG - you've got to get the aerobars installed so you can be ready for white bike challenge. I have the parts in house now and am ready to convert the black stallion

I was feeling surprisingly good on the 95F+ ride home a couple days ago and fell in with a couple bikers heading my way at 21+ mph. (nice level stretch of MUP). The carbon fiber riding youngster (anyone under 40 is a youngster) pulled up slightly and I took the lead at 23+ mph. A minute later I looked back and they had fallen back! The bottom line is a 19.3 mph commute. It is fun to stretch the legs occasionally and finding unexpected speed is a real treat.
    Yeah, a guy flew by me with aerobars and full kit and it was like i was standing still.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "You want to ride like silk gliding on soft air. Think slow and smooth, and one day you'll discover you're riding so easy, you'll laugh out loud at the joy of it all. You'll also discover you're moving fast, probably faster than you ever imagined riding. Don't panic. The speed flowed out of the silk."
    --Hank Barlow

You're buidling your base, grasshopper. Well done.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you just gave Ruby her head and she merely unlimbered herself. She'll want more of course. You must fight harder to keep her under control. Give her free rein, and she might just carry you over the hills and far away.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, a guy flew by me with aerobars and full kit and it was like i was standing still.
    I never wear full kit but I do wear full cycling gear. The combined carbon stem/TT handlebar/aerobar was a great find and it goes well on my old-school carbon (1990 Miyata). I haven't coverted to 9 speed yet so I rode it as single speed. It was very nice.
    It'll be nice when the weather moderates here and there are cool bright mornings to go along with those rides. On the other hand I've seen some posts of your "scenery" on beach bikes and riding slow has it's moments
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
    Perhaps you just gave Ruby her head and she merely unlimbered herself. She'll want more of course. You must fight harder to keep her under control. Give her free rein, and she might just carry you over the hills and far away.
    You know, it might be that white bike thing and living in all that sun. Maybe he needs to coat Ruby down with a good coat of sunscreen--really grease her up good. She might be more responsive and quit hurting his foot.

ps: toothpick goes behind right ear. Carry extra toothpicks, and turn you cap on backwards.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time the left coast smart alek poseur in the full kit and TT tries to pass,pull in front of him.Tell him your training for a Geezer Criterium in Rio Linda next week and need someone to draft me and you,ll recomend him for the team.

Glue some old Italian wine labels(no one really reads bike jerseys) on your shirt and you,ll look faster like a sponsered pro.
    Sounds like your ready to run one of those frisby discs on your rear wheel there speedo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG - 25 mi at a 17 mph avg is gettin serious. And you did this with platform pedals or toe straps? With year round cycling in Sandy Eggo you'll be ready for a cross country tour next Spring. Whodathunkit.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Gee -- if Ruby wants to cruise in the big ring, don't hold back! Feels kinda good, don't it?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Giant- I have a triple, 52/42/30 and most of the riding is done in the middle ring. On the new bike I have a compact double of 50/36. Now the 36 is too low for most riding so the 50 does get used a lot and I find myself more often than not about the middle of the cassette around 15-16 or 17. I think that to a certain extent it is the new bike but the Legs are more attuned to the gearing and the speed is definitely up. Doesn't help on the hills though as there is only one gear I seem to be using on them.

Just to see if you have got used to the bike I have a suggestion that you try a few hills. Seeing as how you don't have any over in San Diego- I have had a word with jppe and he has entered you on his next 100 miler up a mountain so get in touch with him to arrange accomodation.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    On the Giant- I have a triple, 52/42/30 and most of the riding is done in the middle ring. On the new bike I have a compact double of 50/36. Now the 36 is too low for most riding so the 50 does get used a lot and I find myself more often than not about the middle of the cassette around 15-16 or 17. I think that to a certain extent it is the new bike but the Legs are more attuned to the gearing and the speed is definitely up. Doesn't help on the hills though as there is only one gear I seem to be using on them.

Just to see if you have got used to the bike I have a suggestion that you try a few hills. Seeing as how you don't have any over in San Diego- I have had a word with jppe and he has entered you on his next 100 miler up a mountain so get in touch with him to arrange accomodation.
    We have hills, but I have to search for 'em. A couple of days ago, however, I did do some hills over on Pershing Drive behind Balboa Park, and I noticed that they weren't as difficult as they were the last time. I'm not ready for Texas Street yet (nor interested!), but one of these days I'll have to take Ruby out to the country and see wazzup.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Yesterday I had a chance to ride a flat, paved, lightly used bike trail. Really my first ride of more than about 2 miles on asphalt in about 10-15 years. I was able to average 15 over a 12 mile ride. By far my fastest ride in many years. I jacked it up a couple of times and was cruising along at 17.5-18.5. Dropped a couple of older teenagers on mountain bikes who tried to hold me off but they weren't able to maintain that speed and I eventually left them in the dust.

Very interesting ride for me, it being my first ride since my 43-miler earlier in the week where I couldn't hold a speed over 12.

I might have been able to hold 15 for a few more miles but only had about 50 minutes of time before I had to be somewhere else.

Must admit that it felt good to be able to do that. And I was still sitting upright and enjoying a view of the river as I rode. And it was entirely in the middle ring, no big ring yet for me.
    Looks to me like it is time for the Fred Coast to Midwest Time Trial Challenge. Way to go both of you! That is some great riding. Before long you'll be drafting jppe on one of his centuries!!!
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    +1. DG, almost the same thing happened to us the other night. Me and Ms HH went for a 12 miler on a MUP that was not rowded, stayed in the big ring and averaged 16.5mph for the trip, what fun, eh.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"In the big ring" is a fun place. What's really fun, is when you find yourself climbing the smaller hills in it. Then you're set to really fly down the back sides.
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to tell DG that he is really doing great. Doing a 25 miler in close to 90 minutes is definitely moving up in class. If you ever join a club ride, you should be able to stay much more forward in the pack than a year ago. And you might find yourself riding even a bit faster than you do solo.

I wouldn't mind staying in WV a bit longer to ride the paved trail a couple more times. I think it would be fun to ride it again trying to hold 15 again. Then take off a day, come back and attack it to see what I could do.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the old days the boys would have been getting ready for the"Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash"

We're going to need an equivalent here for the 50+ crowd.

By the way, does anyone know who holds the record for the Dash?

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
    Perhaps you just gave Ruby her head and she merely unlimbered herself. She'll want more of course..
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only one word to say ...

Gumball

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I didn't know that Wisconsin was big on gumballs.

The movies aside, the record was (is) held by Dan Gurney and Brock Yates (former editor/writer for car magazines) who traveled from the Red Ball Garage in New York to the Portifino Inn on the shores of the sunny Pacific (somewhere in California) while driving a Ferrari Superamerica in a time of 38 hours and change.

The 60's were a much less restictive time.

I'm not sure how the tradition goes but now that Tom has uttered the magic word gumball I believe that someone has to set the time and place for the showdown. Would the owner of a white bike step forward to take some risk?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big ring is king.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAsFat View Post
    "In the big ring" is a fun place. What's really fun, is when you find yourself climbing the smaller hills in it. Then you're set to really fly down the back sides.
    But where I live, flying down the hill means you just have to climb another hill that much sooner.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast