Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   First hills on the Boreas (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/329301-first-hills-boreas.html)

stapfam 08-05-07 12:36 AM

First hills on the Boreas

Had the Boreas for a month now and to date it has not taken in any hills. A few slopes yes but nothing over 8% for any distance. Late afternoon, just as the temp was cooling down- I got bored with gardening and decided that I could do with a bit of exercise. The back was beginning to ache from lying in the hammock in the heat of the day so time to see if the Boreas liked hills. Down the MUP for a few miles and it was off to the First hill I climbed on ANY bike. It was hard 17 years ago and is always a challenge due to the length of it. 10% average for about a mile and then a bit of gentle flat or downhill before a long drag of about 8% for a mile before a nasty tip up to 10 at the end.

My fear was that with the Higher gearing of the Boreas-It has a compact double of 50/36- I would not have the legs to get up it as the Giant has a Triple of 52/42/30. I have kept putting this "TEST" off as I am still new to the bike. Still If it was too steep, I could always abort the hill and see how fast I can go down it. Started the hill and forgot that this is also the Easiest route up to the hills for the Offroaders. All those mountain bikes going up in Granny just looking to be passed by a roadie. Must have been a club or something because there were about 10 of them in that first half of the hill. I then realised that the first half of the climb was done. Made certain the Mountain bikes had turned off and stopped to take some pics of the Hills I Used to ride. This is not coincidence- The Hills do not look much but the climb to the top of them is steep. BUT I took 3 pictures and over the Boreas on each picture is a rainbow.

Unfortunately-For some reason-I cannot attach pictures at present so anyone else got this problem?

Then it was Down to Eastbourne but with a long drag up to the top of Beachy Head. Down the 16% on the "Main" road and then a long drag back up varying between 8 and 10%. Down for a coffee and check the average- Not bad- 12.5mph with those two hills in it. After the Coffee I decided to get on the way home via the flat route and just put the Power on all the way home. Only 10 miles home and fairly flat but pleased with the Average of 16.0

After those hills today- I can see that me and the bike will have to get out and practice going uphill again but it would appear that the Boreas likes hills. Will find out tomorrow if my legs still do.

freeranger 08-05-07 06:07 AM

I think the Boreas knew you WANTED it to like hills, and was being accommodating. Hopefully, you treated it to some pie afterwards.

rck 08-06-07 11:46 AM

stapfam,
How are your knees feeling today? I ask because I test road a bike yesterday with compact gearing (50-34) It is a good deal because it is a '05 model and is going for 1/2 of its original price. I am somewhat leery about the purchase as the area in which I live has many short steep hills with 10% and above grades being not that uncommon.I currently ride a triple(and by the end of the week one with a new front fork) and while I don't use the granny all that much but my knees like it when they need it. This explains my interest (purely platonic I assure you) in the state of your knees. I can't help but wonder how mine would hold up esp. in the coming years. I would hate to spend money on a toy with a short half-life.

stapfam 08-06-07 12:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rck (Post 5010995)
stapfam,
How are your knees feeling today? I ask because I test road a bike yesterday with compact gearing (50-34) It is a good deal because it is a '05 model and is going for 1/2 of its original price. I am somewhat leery about the purchase as the area in which I live has many short steep hills with 10% and above grades being not that uncommon.I currently ride a triple(and by the end of the week one with a new front fork) and while I don't use the granny all that much but my knees like it when they need it. This explains my interest (purely platonic I assure you) in the state of your knees. I can't help but wonder how mine would hold up esp. in the coming years. I would hate to spend money on a toy with a short half-life.

Feel fine. Now on that compact-I have 50/36 with 10 speed 12/27. The hills I am trying are around 10% for about 1 mile and not causing a problem. On a triple I have 30/26 as my lowest gear on the Sora equipped Giant. This will take all the hills including the 15%ers so The higher gearing was beginning to worry me. I think I will work on the 10% hills for a while before I tackle the BIG ones but Feel certain they will not be a problem.

Can post pics now so you can see the rainbow

If the Bike you are thinking of is 9 Speed- there is an easy cure. Fit an MTB 12/34 LX cassette and an LX rear derrailler. This is what jppe uses and he does the long mountain climbs on that. If it is 10 speed- then get a 34 front chainring and the 27 and practice. What I have found is that there is only one gear for Hill climbing- But it is faster. As to those shorter 10% slopes- They are fine- It is only when they get longer that you may have a problem but I didn't. Now when I go back to the mountains next year- I will get a triple fitted but the crankset is all it will cost me. F Derrailler and Brifters will work with the Triple.