User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More power to the pedals

I switched saddles trying to find a good one and I ended up with the B17 and now that it's broken in it can't be beat for comfort. The only thing that I found that I don't like about it is, I can't get the power to the pedals like I had with a few of the other saddles I tried. I don't think I can go to the B17 narrow and I don't want to break another one in. Doe's anybody else have this problem? If so, do you live with it or what.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your problem doesn't make sense to me. The only way a saddle could effect "power to the pedals" would be to inhibit or change your stroke - ie., leg motion. The wider portion of the Brooks shouldn't be doing that as you report no discomfort. I have one Brooks B17 and many other types of saddles and have not experienced what you describe.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute -- maybe all that tradition of a British touring saddle has osmosed from the leather into your bum and then to the brain and you've been poisoned with an old school 3 speed mentality. Better give-in and buy panniers, lot's of wool clothing and a cycling cap. Next you'll be going village to village, stopping at every other pub. Not a bad idea really!
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    Your problem doesn't make sense to me. The only way a saddle could effect "power to the pedals" would be to inhibit or change your stroke - ie., leg motion. The wider portion of the Brooks shouldn't be doing that as you report no discomfort. I have one Brooks B17 and many other types of saddles and have not experienced what you describe.
    Thanks for the reply Wildwood. I was having kind of a hard time with the break in of the Brooks, until I got a set back seat post and that done the trick. I tried the Serfas saddle just before the set back seat post, and that made the Brooks work, but I was getting more power from the long narrow Serfas RX Permance saddle, but I also getting saddle sores from the Serfas.
    George

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute -- maybe all that tradition of a British touring saddle has osmosed from the leather into your bum and then to the brain and you've been poisoned with an old school 3 speed mentality. Better give-in and buy panniers, lot's of wool clothing and a cycling cap. Next you'll be going village to village, stopping at every other pub. Not a bad idea really!
    That's how I got into cycling. That's how I'd like to go out.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a great idea. Got any spare change laying around.
    George

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes, I ask questions before I put my brain into gear. Anyhow, I went out this morning and made yet another adjustment and got it. I think that's awrap, thanks guys.

ps, when things settle down around here, ( if they do) panniers are next on my list, just saying.
    George

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, my Brooks stands higher than some other saddles, do you need to adjust saddle height? Power to the pedals is related to transferring your weight to them instead of the saddle. The welcome side effect is less weight and less abuse to your bum.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Sometimes, I ask questions before I put my brain into gear. Anyhow, I went out this morning and made yet another adjustment and got it. I think that's awrap, thanks guys.

ps, when things settle down around here, ( if they do) panniers are next on my list, just saying.
    Glad you got it sorted as the only thing I could think of was fore and aft position.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Glad you got it sorted as the only thing I could think of was fore and aft position.
    Thanks for the replys, but with my long legs I had to go up. I keep thinking I should go forward a little but my knee is right where I need it over the pedal. Sometimes I have to get back on the saddle for more power, but it seems to me I got more power from the long narrow nose on other saddles. Thanks again.
    George