Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-05-07, 11:46 AM   #1
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tested a faster bike yesterday

While we were out for our long weekend ride yesterday we stopped at the LBS for a minor adjustment on my bike. While we waited, I spotted a Giant FCR1 W (W=women's) with a beautiful turquoise frame. As I lifted it out of the rack I noticed its light weight. I checked the size: medium. I sat on the seat and and my leg extension was just right. I leaned forward on the bars, and the position felt just right. I took it for a short ride in the parking lot (I know, I know... it's not long enough) and it felt soooooooo comfortable.... and light... and fast. The size of that bike felt *just right* for me. The top tube length is about 2 inches shorter than my Giant's and sits a little lower. (Yesterday I slipped while we were coming to a stop and fell hard onto the top tube of my Giant. )

Now that I've gotten a taste of a better-fitting, light-weight bike, there's no turning back. I see a new bike in my near future, but probably not until next spring.

Interestingly, the Giant web site does not show a turquoise FCR1 W. Perhaps the one in the store is an older model. The Giant web site also does not show a Cypress SX..... has it been discontinued???
Old 08-05-07, 12:40 PM   #2
momof4greatkids

Bikes: Serotta Fierte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
While we were out for our long weekend ride yesterday we stopped at the LBS for a minor adjustment on my bike. While we waited, I spotted a Giant FCR1 W (W=women's) with a beautiful turquoise frame. As I lifted it out of the rack I noticed its light weight. I checked the size: medium. I sat on the seat and and my leg extension was just right. I leaned forward on the bars, and the position felt just right. I took it for a short ride in the parking lot (I know, I know... it's not long enough) and it felt soooooooo comfortable.... and light... and fast. The size of that bike felt *just right* for me. The top tube length is about 2 inches shorter than my Giant's and sits a little lower. (Yesterday I slipped while we were coming to a stop and fell hard onto the top tube of my Giant. )

Now that I've gotten a taste of a better-fitting, light-weight bike, there's no turning back. I see a new bike in my near future, but probably not until next spring.

Interestingly, the Giant web site does not show a turquoise FCR1 W. Perhaps the one in the store is an older model. The Giant web site also does not show a Cypress SX..... has it been discontinued???

sounds like a perfect fit for you Yen. I looked at here http://www.giantforwomen.com/index.p...=BIKE%20FINDER and they are calling it "teal". I looked at the specs and that bike has a lot of good things going for it! I hope you take the plunge. It makes me feel better about my own exorbitant expenditures on bicycling.

Can we say "co-dependant?"
momof4greatkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 12:41 PM   #3
cgallagh
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
Quote:
I said the same thing just a week and a half ago. Then it all went out the window. Just sayin.
cgallagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 12:55 PM   #4
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
MoFGK: The bike I rode yesterday had an all-turquoise frame -- if I am remembering correctly, the entire frame was turquoise. It reminded me of a Rivendell bike someone in this forum recently purchased. I do not remember a 2-toned frame. And, the bar ends were chrome, not black. I like the specs too, and it has the trigger shifters which I love on my Cypress. And thanks a whole lot for trying to enable me. I just need to come up with some fast cash in a hurry. Unfortunately, I opened a bill for the physical therapy I received on my thumb earlier this year.... the amount is equal to the price of that FCR. But hubby gave me the go-ahead on a new bike, as soon as the bills are paid off.

cgallagh: I know what you mean..... I have to pay this bill first. If I could sell my bike TODAY for almost what I paid for it, it would be a done deal. But I'd like to keep it... it's been good to me and helped me get to where I am now (not as far as most of you, but much further than where I began), so I think I will keep it around.
Old 08-05-07, 01:42 PM   #5
ladyicon
Dances with Cars

Bikes: Specialized Ruby expert, Trek Rockhopper
Never stop at the bike shop and test a better bike than you have. All you do is dream about it till you buy it. This is how I have gone through 5 bikes in 7 years.
Before you buy it though try out other bikes in you price range, and make certain they let you ride it a bit longer than a parking lot.
Don't be sentimental over a bike, sell it and get that nice teal colored bike (nice color).
ladyicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 02:46 PM   #6
Old School

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9
Ever notice how quick we are here on the 50+ forum to encourage someone else to spend their money on a new bike???
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 02:57 PM   #7
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
There's no turning back now! I remember when I thought of getting a road bike, went out and tested many, then settled on my Lemond Reno, just "felt right". Haven't regretted it, though it took me a while to finally buy it, as it was more than I had planned to spend, but it was well worth it. One thing I noticed when I saw the specs on the Giant--the specs I saw (not from Giant's site-it wouldn't load on my slow dial-up!) showed that it has a compact double crank. A compact double is fine for many riders, but you might want to ask your LBS if they think a triple crank or compact double would be best suited to your terrain and type of riding.
freeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 03:46 PM   #8
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeranger View Post
There's no turning back now! I remember when I thought of getting a road bike, went out and tested many, then settled on my Lemond Reno, just "felt right". Haven't regretted it, though it took me a while to finally buy it, as it was more than I had planned to spend, but it was well worth it. One thing I noticed when I saw the specs on the Giant--the specs I saw (not from Giant's site-it wouldn't load on my slow dial-up!) showed that it has a compact double crank. A compact double is fine for many riders, but you might want to ask your LBS if they think a triple crank or compact double would be best suited to your terrain and type of riding.
Have to agree about the triple - with one proviso. Are you using the Granny at present in a big way? The FCR1 does have higher gearing but not that much due to the 34 front and the 28Rear. The bike is lighter with better spec parts so is easier to ride, it appears to fit you better and it is in the right colour.

Test ride up a hill to see if you can cope. Remember- you are getting stronger and those hills you ride are really only pimples on the landscape.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 04:24 PM   #9
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Bikes:
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Ever notice how quick we are here on the 50+ forum to encourage someone else to spend their money on a new bike???
My wife says I am awfully quick to spend my own money on a new bike.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 05:13 PM   #10
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yen, Remember this phrase "End of the year sales". Maybe that helps?

Only you know your budget, do what's comfortable, but those sales can be soooo tempting.
Old 08-05-07, 05:19 PM   #11
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Speak for yourself and see my signature.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 05:37 PM   #12
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
Yen, Remember this phrase "End of the year sales".
+1 - the 'End' is Near!
its not about 'luxury' or a question of 'deserving'.
Really when you consider it, any bike purchase pays for itself quickly in a better life and reduced costs elsewhere.
as for making a buy NOW, its still a good time to put the old bike on Craigslist and get a quick sale. Course in SoCal its hardly never a bad time to list a bike, but now is primo cause studentos will be lookin for campus bikes.
if the Giant feels good, it'd be worth checkin around for other possible steeds in that price range and see how they feel. Trek, SPecialized, a slew of other good labels...
A great part of being a rider is BIKE SHOPPIN, even if you're not really plannin on gettin one right now.
Ask DeeGee about that...
as for 'paying' for it. drive less ride more - works for me...
cyclezen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 07:08 PM   #13
momof4greatkids

Bikes: Serotta Fierte
Quote:
MoFGK: The bike I rode yesterday had an all-turquoise frame -- if I am remembering correctly, the entire frame was turquoise. It reminded me of a Rivendell bike someone in this forum recently purchased. I do not remember a 2-toned frame. And, the bar ends were chrome, not black. I like the specs too, and it has the trigger shifters which I love on my Cypress. And thanks a whole lot for trying to enable me. I just need to come up with some fast cash in a hurry. Unfortunately, I opened a bill for the physical therapy I received on my thumb earlier this year.... the amount is equal to the price of that FCR. But hubby gave me the go-ahead on a new bike, as soon as the bills are paid off.
as soon as all the bills are paid off???.......good grief Yen who wants to wait THAT long????

I have trigger shifters on my trek 7.5 fx and I love them. I hope I don't have a hard time adjusting to the sti shifters on my new bike.

Lots of the LBS's in this area have a dangerous little financing gimmick......you've probably heard of it....6 or (even better) 12 months same as cash. Trouble is by the time you get done paying you are already eyeing the next best thing. The madness never stops.
momof4greatkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 07:42 PM   #14
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
LOL! You guys are so funny. "Hi, I'm _______________, and I'm a bike addict."

Tonight I mentioned putting mine on Craig's List to make fast money to buy it sooner, and just see if it sells for the price I want. Now that is really sick.... this disease is out of control! I've entered the madness zone.
Old 08-05-07, 08:31 PM   #15
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
LOL! You guys are so funny. "Hi, I'm _______________, and I'm a bike addict."
Yen, you are too far gone to ever be "normal" again. Soon you will become bored with plain old conversation that doesn't include bikes or cycling. You will notice most of your new friends and acquaintances seem to be "bike people". In your travels you will constantly keep one eye open for cool bikes and new bike shops. You will never fail to check out someones legs and/or tan lines, wondering if she/he could be a cyclist. Your old friends will notice the change in you, how you now defend cyclists rights, how you seem to be so much more fit than them and how you emit a vibe of confidence and self assurance that they hadn't noticed before.

Yes, you've really screwed up your life this time with this bike addiction of yours.

Last edited by Louis; 08-05-07 at 09:56 PM.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 09:50 PM   #16
Dchiefransom

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
When I first saw the FC line of Giant bikes in a shop(the day I bought my OCR C2), I thought they were an excellent bike. Following the web site, I thought they were missing last year. Glad to see they are back. I saw a REALLY sweet one on the MS150 ride at Tahoe last year.
Old 08-05-07, 11:20 PM   #17
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Cyclezen has me pegged, Yen.

I can't let myself go into a bike store right now without wearing a pair of blinders so I can take my bike back to the shop for whatever it needs. I can't allow myself to look at other bikes, and I love my bike!

I just know me. Seven bikes in two years. (Only two brand new.) And yes the first one was bought under the 12 months same as cash plan.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 01:19 PM   #18
stapfam
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Checked the UK site as we have a few different versions over here. The FCR1W in the SPRING collection is probably the one you are looking at- But there is also a plain old boring FCR1W that has a triple crank set up. Maybe the wrong colour but by the time you have finished your first metric- It will be covered in dust or Mud or something worse so why are you looking at the colour? The only colour to look out for is white as that is the fastest.

By the way- The Womans version of bikes is not only a more suitable sized frame- There are Different width bars- Saddles- even brake lever reach to accomodate the Female form. so keep looking at the Womens specific bikes.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/...men/189/15173/

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 08-06-07 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-06-07, 01:35 PM   #19
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
I have to admit I do like that white bike! And did you notice the pedals are platform on one side and clipless on the other?
Old 08-06-07, 01:36 PM   #20
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
No, wait.... the pedals on that white bike aren't, but the ones on the bike I rode on Saturday are.
Old 08-06-07, 01:37 PM   #21
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Quote:
I have to admit I do like that white bike! And did you notice the pedals are platform on one side and clipless on the other?
White is the color ridden by Goddesses...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 01:48 PM   #22
bobby c
Bike Curious....

Bikes:
While the FCR is one fine bike, since you are in the market and like the Giant fitting - you might want to throw your leg over an OCR. It has the traditional drop handlebars but it sits more upright than most drop handled bikes. Plus it comes in a triple. My wife has one & loves it - we got it a couple of years ago on closeout - an OCR Comp Limited. Carbon is nice but the aluminum version is also very sweet (a female friend has one). Course it might not fit but since you are getting strong and you are in the market, it might be worth a look at OCR. Comes in a W model as well.....
bobby c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 01:49 PM   #23
HopedaleHills
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
White is the color ridden by Goddesses...
So are you now classifying yourself as a Goddess?
HopedaleHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 01:52 PM   #24
stapfam
Time for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby c View Post
While the FCR is one fine bike, since you are in the market and like the Giant fitting - you might want to throw your leg over an OCR. It has the traditional drop handlebars but it sits more upright than most drop handled bikes. Plus it comes in a triple. My wife has one & loves it - we got it a couple of years ago on closeout - an OCR Comp Limited. Carbon is nice but the aluminum version is also very sweet (a female friend has one). Course it might not fit but since you are getting strong and you are in the market, it might be worth a look at OCR. Comes in a W model as well.....
Good suggestion. Been trying to summon up the courage to suggest this but I don't think they come in Goddess colour. But it does come in "W" form.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-06-07, 01:58 PM   #25
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Hey, I am not stuck on white. Besides, my legs are white enough . On the other hand, it would complement my pink+white helmet......