Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I tested a faster bike yesterday

    While we were out for our long weekend ride yesterday we stopped at the LBS for a minor adjustment on my bike. While we waited, I spotted a Giant FCR1 W (W=women's) with a beautiful turquoise frame. As I lifted it out of the rack I noticed its light weight. I checked the size: medium. I sat on the seat and and my leg extension was just right. I leaned forward on the bars, and the position felt just right. I took it for a short ride in the parking lot (I know, I know... it's not long enough) and it felt soooooooo comfortable.... and light... and fast. The size of that bike felt *just right* for me. The top tube length is about 2 inches shorter than my Giant's and sits a little lower. (Yesterday I slipped while we were coming to a stop and fell hard onto the top tube of my Giant. )

    Now that I've gotten a taste of a better-fitting, light-weight bike, there's no turning back. I see a new bike in my near future, but probably not until next spring.

    Interestingly, the Giant web site does not show a turquoise FCR1 W. Perhaps the one in the store is an older model. The Giant web site also does not show a Cypress SX..... has it been discontinued???
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Here in NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    While we were out for our long weekend ride yesterday we stopped at the LBS for a minor adjustment on my bike. While we waited, I spotted a Giant FCR1 W (W=women's) with a beautiful turquoise frame. As I lifted it out of the rack I noticed its light weight. I checked the size: medium. I sat on the seat and and my leg extension was just right. I leaned forward on the bars, and the position felt just right. I took it for a short ride in the parking lot (I know, I know... it's not long enough) and it felt soooooooo comfortable.... and light... and fast. The size of that bike felt *just right* for me. The top tube length is about 2 inches shorter than my Giant's and sits a little lower. (Yesterday I slipped while we were coming to a stop and fell hard onto the top tube of my Giant. )

    Now that I've gotten a taste of a better-fitting, light-weight bike, there's no turning back. I see a new bike in my near future, but probably not until next spring.

    Interestingly, the Giant web site does not show a turquoise FCR1 W. Perhaps the one in the store is an older model. The Giant web site also does not show a Cypress SX..... has it been discontinued???

    sounds like a perfect fit for you Yen. I looked at here http://www.giantforwomen.com/index.p...=BIKE%20FINDER and they are calling it "teal". I looked at the specs and that bike has a lot of good things going for it! I hope you take the plunge. It makes me feel better about my own exorbitant expenditures on bicycling.

    Can we say "co-dependant?"
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

  3. #3
    DoubleTrouble cgallagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vacaville, CA
    My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I've gotten a taste of a better-fitting, light-weight bike, there's no turning back. I see a new bike in my near future, but probably not until next spring.
    I said the same thing just a week and a half ago. Then it all went out the window. Just sayin.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

  4. #4
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MoFGK: The bike I rode yesterday had an all-turquoise frame -- if I am remembering correctly, the entire frame was turquoise. It reminded me of a Rivendell bike someone in this forum recently purchased. I do not remember a 2-toned frame. And, the bar ends were chrome, not black. I like the specs too, and it has the trigger shifters which I love on my Cypress. And thanks a whole lot for trying to enable me. I just need to come up with some fast cash in a hurry. Unfortunately, I opened a bill for the physical therapy I received on my thumb earlier this year.... the amount is equal to the price of that FCR. But hubby gave me the go-ahead on a new bike, as soon as the bills are paid off.

    cgallagh: I know what you mean..... I have to pay this bill first. If I could sell my bike TODAY for almost what I paid for it, it would be a done deal. But I'd like to keep it... it's been good to me and helped me get to where I am now (not as far as most of you, but much further than where I began), so I think I will keep it around.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  5. #5
    Dances with Cars ladyicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby expert, Trek Rockhopper
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never stop at the bike shop and test a better bike than you have. All you do is dream about it till you buy it. This is how I have gone through 5 bikes in 7 years.
    Before you buy it though try out other bikes in you price range, and make certain they let you ride it a bit longer than a parking lot.
    Don't be sentimental over a bike, sell it and get that nice teal colored bike (nice color).

  6. #6
    Senior Member Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '02 Trek 4500
    Posts
    1,151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever notice how quick we are here on the 50+ forum to encourage someone else to spend their money on a new bike???
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

  7. #7
    Senior Member freeranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no turning back now! I remember when I thought of getting a road bike, went out and tested many, then settled on my Lemond Reno, just "felt right". Haven't regretted it, though it took me a while to finally buy it, as it was more than I had planned to spend, but it was well worth it. One thing I noticed when I saw the specs on the Giant--the specs I saw (not from Giant's site-it wouldn't load on my slow dial-up!) showed that it has a compact double crank. A compact double is fine for many riders, but you might want to ask your LBS if they think a triple crank or compact double would be best suited to your terrain and type of riding.

  8. #8
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeranger View Post
    There's no turning back now! I remember when I thought of getting a road bike, went out and tested many, then settled on my Lemond Reno, just "felt right". Haven't regretted it, though it took me a while to finally buy it, as it was more than I had planned to spend, but it was well worth it. One thing I noticed when I saw the specs on the Giant--the specs I saw (not from Giant's site-it wouldn't load on my slow dial-up!) showed that it has a compact double crank. A compact double is fine for many riders, but you might want to ask your LBS if they think a triple crank or compact double would be best suited to your terrain and type of riding.
    Have to agree about the triple - with one proviso. Are you using the Granny at present in a big way? The FCR1 does have higher gearing but not that much due to the 34 front and the 28Rear. The bike is lighter with better spec parts so is easier to ride, it appears to fit you better and it is in the right colour.

    Test ride up a hill to see if you can cope. Remember- you are getting stronger and those hills you ride are really only pimples on the landscape.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  9. #9
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,117
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Ever notice how quick we are here on the 50+ forum to encourage someone else to spend their money on a new bike???
    My wife says I am awfully quick to spend my own money on a new bike.

  10. #10
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    8,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, Remember this phrase "End of the year sales". Maybe that helps?

    Only you know your budget, do what's comfortable, but those sales can be soooo tempting.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

  11. #11
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,357
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Ever notice how quick we are here on the 50+ forum to encourage someone else to spend their money on a new bike???
    Speak for yourself and see my signature.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  12. #12
    OM boy cyclezen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Goleta CA
    My Bikes
    a bunch
    Posts
    3,005
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    Yen, Remember this phrase "End of the year sales".
    +1 - the 'End' is Near!
    its not about 'luxury' or a question of 'deserving'.
    Really when you consider it, any bike purchase pays for itself quickly in a better life and reduced costs elsewhere.
    as for making a buy NOW, its still a good time to put the old bike on Craigslist and get a quick sale. Course in SoCal its hardly never a bad time to list a bike, but now is primo cause studentos will be lookin for campus bikes.
    if the Giant feels good, it'd be worth checkin around for other possible steeds in that price range and see how they feel. Trek, SPecialized, a slew of other good labels...
    A great part of being a rider is BIKE SHOPPIN, even if you're not really plannin on gettin one right now.
    Ask DeeGee about that...
    as for 'paying' for it. drive less ride more - works for me...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Here in NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    MoFGK: The bike I rode yesterday had an all-turquoise frame -- if I am remembering correctly, the entire frame was turquoise. It reminded me of a Rivendell bike someone in this forum recently purchased. I do not remember a 2-toned frame. And, the bar ends were chrome, not black. I like the specs too, and it has the trigger shifters which I love on my Cypress. And thanks a whole lot for trying to enable me. I just need to come up with some fast cash in a hurry. Unfortunately, I opened a bill for the physical therapy I received on my thumb earlier this year.... the amount is equal to the price of that FCR. But hubby gave me the go-ahead on a new bike, as soon as the bills are paid off.
    as soon as all the bills are paid off???.......good grief Yen who wants to wait THAT long????

    I have trigger shifters on my trek 7.5 fx and I love them. I hope I don't have a hard time adjusting to the sti shifters on my new bike.

    Lots of the LBS's in this area have a dangerous little financing gimmick......you've probably heard of it....6 or (even better) 12 months same as cash. Trouble is by the time you get done paying you are already eyeing the next best thing. The madness never stops.
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

  14. #14
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! You guys are so funny. "Hi, I'm _______________, and I'm a bike addict."

    Tonight I mentioned putting mine on Craig's List to make fast money to buy it sooner, and just see if it sells for the price I want. Now that is really sick.... this disease is out of control! I've entered the madness zone.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    LOL! You guys are so funny. "Hi, I'm _______________, and I'm a bike addict."
    Yen, you are too far gone to ever be "normal" again. Soon you will become bored with plain old conversation that doesn't include bikes or cycling. You will notice most of your new friends and acquaintances seem to be "bike people". In your travels you will constantly keep one eye open for cool bikes and new bike shops. You will never fail to check out someones legs and/or tan lines, wondering if she/he could be a cyclist. Your old friends will notice the change in you, how you now defend cyclists rights, how you seem to be so much more fit than them and how you emit a vibe of confidence and self assurance that they hadn't noticed before.

    Yes, you've really screwed up your life this time with this bike addiction of yours.
    Last edited by Louis; 08-05-07 at 09:56 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Dchiefransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first saw the FC line of Giant bikes in a shop(the day I bought my OCR C2), I thought they were an excellent bike. Following the web site, I thought they were missing last year. Glad to see they are back. I saw a REALLY sweet one on the MS150 ride at Tahoe last year.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

  17. #17
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,899
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclezen has me pegged, Yen.

    I can't let myself go into a bike store right now without wearing a pair of blinders so I can take my bike back to the shop for whatever it needs. I can't allow myself to look at other bikes, and I love my bike!

    I just know me. Seven bikes in two years. (Only two brand new.) And yes the first one was bought under the 12 months same as cash plan.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

  18. #18
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checked the UK site as we have a few different versions over here. The FCR1W in the SPRING collection is probably the one you are looking at- But there is also a plain old boring FCR1W that has a triple crank set up. Maybe the wrong colour but by the time you have finished your first metric- It will be covered in dust or Mud or something worse so why are you looking at the colour? The only colour to look out for is white as that is the fastest.

    By the way- The Womans version of bikes is not only a more suitable sized frame- There are Different width bars- Saddles- even brake lever reach to accomodate the Female form. so keep looking at the Womens specific bikes.



    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/...men/189/15173/
    Last edited by stapfam; 08-06-07 at 01:28 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  19. #19
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit I do like that white bike! And did you notice the pedals are platform on one side and clipless on the other?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  20. #20
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, wait.... the pedals on that white bike aren't, but the ones on the bike I rode on Saturday are.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  21. #21
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,899
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    I have to admit I do like that white bike! And did you notice the pedals are platform on one side and clipless on the other?
    White is the color ridden by Goddesses...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

  22. #22
    Bike Curious.... bobby c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the FCR is one fine bike, since you are in the market and like the Giant fitting - you might want to throw your leg over an OCR. It has the traditional drop handlebars but it sits more upright than most drop handled bikes. Plus it comes in a triple. My wife has one & loves it - we got it a couple of years ago on closeout - an OCR Comp Limited. Carbon is nice but the aluminum version is also very sweet (a female friend has one). Course it might not fit but since you are getting strong and you are in the market, it might be worth a look at OCR. Comes in a W model as well.....

  23. #23
    Streetfire HopedaleHills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off Center
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    White is the color ridden by Goddesses...
    So are you now classifying yourself as a Goddess?
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

  24. #24
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c View Post
    While the FCR is one fine bike, since you are in the market and like the Giant fitting - you might want to throw your leg over an OCR. It has the traditional drop handlebars but it sits more upright than most drop handled bikes. Plus it comes in a triple. My wife has one & loves it - we got it a couple of years ago on closeout - an OCR Comp Limited. Carbon is nice but the aluminum version is also very sweet (a female friend has one). Course it might not fit but since you are getting strong and you are in the market, it might be worth a look at OCR. Comes in a W model as well.....
    Good suggestion. Been trying to summon up the courage to suggest this but I don't think they come in Goddess colour. But it does come in "W" form.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  25. #25
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I am not stuck on white. Besides, my legs are white enough . On the other hand, it would complement my pink+white helmet......
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •