Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Century, and then some!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 06:58 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Over the weekend, I completed the Pan Mass Challenge, a benefit to find the cure for cancer.
The quick part....Saturday, 109.95 miles, 8 hours, 8 mins riding time, avg about 13.5
Sunday, 77.78 miles, 5 hours, 50 mins.
I feel like I'm officially a "cyclist" now!
This was a fully supported event, including 5 large waterstops on Saturday, and 3 on Sunday. Literally thousands of volunteers. Over 5000 riders. This was really a class act. I still have a little way to go in my fundraising, but have till Oct 1 to do it.
Things I'll never forget...Opening ceremonies Friday night, when two guys from the group "Sister Hazel" did a tribute song to the lead singer's brother who lost his fight against cancer a few years ago. Then they had the place rocking with a version of "All for You."....the singing of the National Anthem just prior to the start of the ride...the massage Saturday night, that hurt so good...sunrise Sunday morning, as we turned off the Cape Cod Canal Bike Trail, the sun coming up over Cape Cod Bay....the rollers on Service Road, what a blast...the people...omg, the people....6 o'clock in the morning, and they were out there with their signs and cowbells and whistles, cheering us on..."the hedge", in Brewster MA, a huge gathering spot. Had to be a couple thousand people in about a 100 yard stretch. I happened to be alone at the time, no one within 100 yards to the front or rear. As I approached "the hedge", it was pretty quiet. Now these people see a lone rider, have no idea who he is, and the roar started. By the time I got to the end, I'll admit to having a few tears going down my face. It was not the only time, either....
And there was so much more. This was not just a ride for a cause, it was a celebration of life!
It's Monday morning now, and my back and legs are letting me know what I did over the weekend. So it's off to the hammock for some quiet time! (Yeah, I took the day off...)
And for the guys who said "Don't worry about the 2nd day, the Cape is flat." This is not true. It is a big lie.
Maybe it'll seem flatter next year. I can't wait!!!!
Old 08-06-07, 07:26 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congrats, wish I could have ridden it with you. I'm putting this on the Accomplishments web page.
Old 08-06-07, 07:51 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A first century is an accomplishment -- doing another 70+ miles the next is flabbergasting! Not exactly what I'd call a "recovery ride".

Yes, you are a "real cyclist".

And you must have a really comfy saddle.
Old 08-06-07, 07:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A combination of a Specialized Body Geometry gel saddle and a pair of Specialized shorts did the trick. NO SORE BUTT!! Can't say the same about my back though.
Old 08-06-07, 08:33 AM
Riding my bike

Bikes: Giant TCR C2 / Giant Defy / Bianchi "beater"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations Geofitz - great ride!

Actually, I did the PMC too (my first as well) although I took the "easy" route and started from Wellesley. The heat was something on Saturday! And, you're absolutely right about how great the organization is.

As I took my normal ride ride this morning I thought "...can't wait till next year". I'd seriously recommend the ride to anyone in New England (or anyone who can get to the area) its for a great, great cause too.

If folks are interested, check it out at https://www.pmc.org
Old 08-06-07, 08:48 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Ride report!! and congrats on your first Century!!! It certainly sounds like a well run event. I think having a supported event for your first century makes for an easier time of it. Great second day as well. I would concur with others; You now officially rank as a cyclist.
Old 08-06-07, 09:41 AM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow - that's some miles! I got a few centuries coming up, but I never thought about doing an extra 75 or so the next day. Good on ya!
Old 08-06-07, 09:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yet another one bit by the century bug. Hope you next is as rewarding as this one was. You're sure going into it with a great attitude.
Old 08-06-07, 10:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attitude is everything. But with this organization, it's impossible not to be positive about it.
I heard that Saturday was the hottest PMC day ever. Heard it got to 94 or 95. I found that it really helped to take a water bottle and just dump it on my head. Did that more times than I can remember!
And yes, there will be more centuries to come!
Old 08-06-07, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outstanding ride and for a great cause. Major congratulations, you deserve the day off!
Old 08-06-07, 01:07 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mucho congratulations! My eyes got a little misty reading your report. It sounds like a fantastic day in every way.

What bike were you riding?
Old 08-06-07, 01:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a Specialized Allez Elite triple...being a lousy climber, I really need the granny gear. Then again, there were times I was looking for a great-granny!