Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Brooks Confusion

Okay, I FINALLY got out on the Brooks. Yes yes, I know, it's been awhile now. Life, the universe and everything has got in the way and the bike has been ignored and inappropriate behaviour patterns have stuffed up my fitness and, well, I've finally found the ladder out of the hole I poured myself into

So, finally out on the Brooks.

First thing to note is that mine is one of the 'standard issue' Brooks - the rotten thing was NOT comfortable right out of the box. I'm just glad they don't make boots out of this stuff

Second thing to report is that the last time I used anything this slippery I was ... well ... probably shouldn't talk about it here should I. Hmm. Let's just say the coefficient of friction would make a bearing designer weep with envy. Man, I couldn't make this more slippery if I used Armourall on it (and no, I'm not going to).

I'm going to have to do the 'long break in' and yes, at this stage, I'll be doing as per the factory recomendation ie, I won't be soaking or beating it. Only 10km so far so I'm not making any promises yet (it tweren't the saddle that kept the ride so short either ).

My problem with her is that I slide right off the wide part of the saddle and dip into the neck of the saddle. This is like sitting in a hammock and your soft bits are jammed against the front mountings of the saddle. I did set the nose up a bit as suggested, but this was just causing me pain so I dropped the nose back to level. But I need to push myself back on the seat.

Now, a question. This question may only make sense to people who have placed their rumps on rock hard bits of leather because it's something that I've never come across before, but it does help me understand an item of 'conventional wisdom' and may explain a bike fit problem I have.

Sit bones. People all around the world (and indeed on this forum) talk about sitting on your 'sit bones' - the two bones at the bottom of the pelvis that you are supposed to sit on. I've never really understood what they were talking about and just rode on the saddle where I went. However, with this sheet of cast leather under me bum, I could feel two contact points between leather and bone - the sit bones.

Am I right in imagining that I want those contact points back on the broad part of the saddle? Reasonably near the rear of it?

I ask because my rump slides off that part of the saddle and deposits me with the neck of the saddle between those sit bones, so the weight of my body is taken on the muscle tissue of the groin area. To take the weight on my sit bones, I have to push myself backwards on the saddle - this isn't a huge problem at the moment as the saddle breaks in, but will be on a longer rider and intolerable in the long term. However, am I correct in holding myself back there and will the saddle eventually break in to support me there? Seeing I'm pushing myself back there, where should I be trying to position myself?

Secondly, I suspect I've always rode this way, and this would go a long way to explaining why I seem to need the seat set much further back than 'conventional fittings' dictate.

Or am I missing something?

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was just recently pretty well covered in a thread about solving a great mystery.
    I more or less had the same question... check out that thread; if you can't find the answers you need, send me your Brooks. I now have 50-60 miles on mine. I have not treated it in any way (yet). Just out of the box, onto my post and my butt there upon placed. We are getting to know each other quite well; I look forward to a very happy future to this saddle.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    This was just recently pretty well covered in a thread about solving a great mystery.
    Must've missed that one in the dramas of the last few weeks - I usually read every Brooks thread (now you'll tell me I posted in it ). Can you remember the name of it?

Richard
    rats, gotta dash off and pick up me daughter, just as I found something to hunt up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I did this right, THIS should take you right to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the only answer I can give is to check this link and scroll down to post number 6. It explains where the sit bones go.............

Please solve one of the great mysteries for me

Sorry but I don't know how to 'borrow' a picture from another poster. FWIW, mine was comfortable out of the box but I do think it needs to be tilted up a bit.

Also, after I put a couple of coats of Proofide on mine I simply wiped it off and started riding. After a bit it is not too slick but I do use riding shorts, except when I commute. It is not as comfortable with jeans or regular shorts.

Good luck. BTW, that is a nice MG on your homepage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drats. SaiKaiTai beat me to it. That is the thread I was referring to; just go down to post number 6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    Drats. SaiKaiTai beat me to it. That is the thread I was referring to; just go down to post number 6.
    I'd hope... I mean, it was my thread, after all

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that. I now know what I'm trying to achieve.

Is the answer in pulling the nose right up or holding yourself in place with your arms. I had the nose up and was getting pressure in a bad spot so I dropped the saddle back to level. However, I'm now wondering if I wasn't still sliding off the seat and that is what was causing the pressure. Maybe going for an even higher nose is the answer (we're talking two clicks on the Bontrager seat post, nothing extreme). And yes, I recognise that 10km into it's life is very early.

Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I do not keep myself on the saddle by pushing off the handlebars. If I could balance myself while sitting up I would not slide off.

Not sure that makes sense but my saddle is clearly nose up.