Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Software that Plots Roads in Miles

Trying to figure out less traveled roads in my neighborhood, where I can begin a ride from my house and make a round trip that goes 20 miles when ending the ride at my house.

Are there software programs that if providing your starting point-address, you can visualize the streets that can be taken ... and the sofware also tells you the miles traveled based on the road-vectors of the round trip?

Free software is usually a good bargain, but I'd be interested in any professional software that kicks the map-plotting up a notch. It would be nice to have a program where you could print a handlebar-mounted map that is big enough that 50-year old eyes could read.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use DeLorme's Topo USA. I does what you want and can be used for trips in the car also. Provides 3D data with altitudes as well as miles. Could be hoodes to a GPS unit for car use.

Bought mine on Ebay for less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorad View Post
    Trying to figure out less traveled roads in my neighborhood, where I can begin a ride from my house and make a round trip that goes 20 miles when ending the ride at my house.

Are there software programs that if providing your starting point-address, you can visualize the streets that can be taken ... and the sofware also tells you the miles traveled based on the road-vectors of the round trip?

Free software is usually a good bargain, but I'd be interested in any professional software that kicks the map-plotting up a notch. It would be nice to have a program where you could print a handlebar-mounted map that is big enough that 50-year old eyes could read.
    I use 'routeslip.com'. If you turn on the "auto route" feature it will follow the road and give you a running total of miles and climbing with just a few clicks. As for being able to read the map, I purchased some stick on bifocals from safetyglassesusa.com and applied them to my riding glasses. http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/optx...-bifocals.html

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorad View Post

The one I use is a Google tool that is free http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

It is easy to use, has excellent maps, and you can even check elevation changes if you want. The zoom in feature allows you to check details at intersections and you can use the satellite or hybrid features to get a picture of where you are riding. It records miles to the nearest .001 mile and you can save the route for use later, and it has a print feature as well.

Hope that helps.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Delorme Topo USA. I bought it before all of the free route planners based on Gmap-pedometer were available. Still, it was only $38.00 on ebay and you can save the files to a .jpg to print out on paper.

I don't use a GPS but Delorme will also convert to files you can use on the most common Handheld GPS units.

On a map of a large area, you will lose the small details and street names. Here is a comparison of two routes. The first is a 10 mile loop. The second is an 80 mile point to point route that starts near the 10 mile loop in the first map.

Both are sized to print on 8 1/2 by 11 paper. I do like the elevation profiles better than the plain graphs that you get from the gmap clones.

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.mapitpronto.com

I use the "follow the road" option.

similar features to the gmap-pedometer site.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bookmarked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've yet to find a way for gmpa-pedometer to follow the road, the way mapmyrides does. Am I missing a toggle somewhere ?.

Mapmyrides is OK, but seems to bog down the longer the route.

SB

My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)