User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Century, and then some!

Over the weekend, I completed the Pan Mass Challenge, a benefit to find the cure for cancer.
    The quick part....Saturday, 109.95 miles, 8 hours, 8 mins riding time, avg about 13.5
    Sunday, 77.78 miles, 5 hours, 50 mins.
    I feel like I'm officially a "cyclist" now!
    This was a fully supported event, including 5 large waterstops on Saturday, and 3 on Sunday. Literally thousands of volunteers. Over 5000 riders. This was really a class act. I still have a little way to go in my fundraising, but have till Oct 1 to do it.
    Things I'll never forget...Opening ceremonies Friday night, when two guys from the group "Sister Hazel" did a tribute song to the lead singer's brother who lost his fight against cancer a few years ago. Then they had the place rocking with a version of "All for You."....the singing of the National Anthem just prior to the start of the ride...the massage Saturday night, that hurt so good...sunrise Sunday morning, as we turned off the Cape Cod Canal Bike Trail, the sun coming up over Cape Cod Bay....the rollers on Service Road, what a blast...the people...omg, the people....6 o'clock in the morning, and they were out there with their signs and cowbells and whistles, cheering us on..."the hedge", in Brewster MA, a huge gathering spot. Had to be a couple thousand people in about a 100 yard stretch. I happened to be alone at the time, no one within 100 yards to the front or rear. As I approached "the hedge", it was pretty quiet. Now these people see a lone rider, have no idea who he is, and the roar started. By the time I got to the end, I'll admit to having a few tears going down my face. It was not the only time, either....
    And there was so much more. This was not just a ride for a cause, it was a celebration of life!
    It's Monday morning now, and my back and legs are letting me know what I did over the weekend. So it's off to the hammock for some quiet time! (Yeah, I took the day off...)
    And for the guys who said "Don't worry about the 2nd day, the Cape is flat." This is not true. It is a big lie.
    Maybe it'll seem flatter next year. I can't wait!!!!

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, wish I could have ridden it with you. I'm putting this on the Accomplishments web page.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A first century is an accomplishment -- doing another 70+ miles the next is flabbergasting! Not exactly what I'd call a "recovery ride".

Yes, you are a "real cyclist".

And you must have a really comfy saddle.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A combination of a Specialized Body Geometry gel saddle and a pair of Specialized shorts did the trick. NO SORE BUTT!! Can't say the same about my back though.

Riding my bike
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR C2 / Bianchi "beater"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Geofitz - great ride!

Actually, I did the PMC too (my first as well) although I took the "easy" route and started from Wellesley. The heat was something on Saturday! And, you're absolutely right about how great the organization is.

As I took my normal ride ride this morning I thought "...can't wait till next year". I'd seriously recommend the ride to anyone in New England (or anyone who can get to the area) its for a great, great cause too.

If folks are interested, check it out at http://www.pmc.org

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Ride report!! and congrats on your first Century!!! It certainly sounds like a well run event. I think having a supported event for your first century makes for an easier time of it. Great second day as well. I would concur with others; You now officially rank as a cyclist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - that's some miles! I got a few centuries coming up, but I never thought about doing an extra 75 or so the next day. Good on ya!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another one bit by the century bug. Hope you next is as rewarding as this one was. You're sure going into it with a great attitude.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attitude is everything. But with this organization, it's impossible not to be positive about it.
    I heard that Saturday was the hottest PMC day ever. Heard it got to 94 or 95. I found that it really helped to take a water bottle and just dump it on my head. Did that more times than I can remember!
    And yes, there will be more centuries to come!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding ride and for a great cause. Major congratulations, you deserve the day off!
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mucho congratulations! My eyes got a little misty reading your report. It sounds like a fantastic day in every way.

What bike were you riding?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a Specialized Allez Elite triple...being a lousy climber, I really need the granny gear. Then again, there were times I was looking for a great-granny!