Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legs twitchy at night

Go ahead and laugh....

A few weeks ago I began waking up briefly on some nights with the feeling that my legs are full of energy. Around that same time I began adding more evening rides after work, and our weekend rides are getting longer. We are not over-doing it, I always stretch, warm up, cool down, drink plenty of water, and my diet is excellent.

I should say that I do officially have restless leg syndrome (RLS) (yes, it is real and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy) but I have the milder type that sets in just as I am relaxing for the evening, when I sit down around 8:00 pm to read or watch TV or visit with guests. That's when the RLS "creepy crawly" feeling begins. But once I go to bed, it stops and it has never bothered me during the night. And, this twitchy feeling doesn't feel exactly the same as the itchy/creepy/crawly sensation.

It happened again last night when I awoke at 1:00 am. This morning my husband in kidding said "maybe it's your fast-twitch muscles". We went for an easy ride last night for 1 hour (HR around 110).

Do I need to take B vitamins? Stretch longer and more often? Has anyone else experienced this when you began riding or increased the frequency?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Go ahead and laugh....

A few weeks ago I began waking up briefly on some nights with the feeling that my legs are full of energy. Around that same time I began adding more evening rides after work, and our weekend rides are getting longer. We are not over-doing it, I always stretch, warm up, cool down, drink plenty of water, and my diet is excellent.

I should say that I do officially have restless leg syndrome (RLS) (yes, it is real and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy) but I have the milder type that sets in just as I am relaxing for the evening, when I sit down around 8:00 pm to read or watch TV or visit with guests. That's when the RLS "creepy crawly" feeling begins. But once I go to bed, it stops and it has never bothered me during the night. And, this twitchy feeling doesn't feel exactly the same as the itchy/creepy/crawly sensation.

It happened again last night when I awoke at 1:00 am. This morning my husband in kidding said "maybe it's your fast-twitch muscles". We went for an easy ride last night for 1 hour (HR around 110).

Do I need to take B vitamins? Stretch longer and more often? Has anyone else experienced this when you began riding or increased the frequency?

Perhaps its time to find a 5 mile circular route round your area and go out and "Over Do It". Not too much and make certain you have nothing planned for the next day but you have the fitness- and the Stamina- so get out and do just that one more circuit.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like fun. Are you saying that my legs are "itching" to get out and ride like crazy?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go ahead and laugh....
    I know it's a deeply cynical crowd around here but I can't imagine anyone finding any humor in your misfortune.

Especially since we're all old enough to develop it at any time.

Now if I were 20 I'd probably get a chuckle out of it.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no personal experience, but maybe this article will help. Scroll down to fine links to additional info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to get twitching and occasional leg cramps after "hard" rides. Try a little potassium, the pills are cheap. May not be a solution but nothing to lose in trying.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The potassium sounds like a good idea. I started to have the same problem, my doc said to try eating a couple bananas (I are a gud spelor) after a hard ride, and that seemed to help.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute...I just noticed I am now listed as a "Senior Member." How did this happen??? Inside my helmet, it's still 25!!

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to the potassium pill and try some
    tonic water containing quinine; as
    quinine is suppose to help cramps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it be the HOT weather causing/affecting your symptoms?
    I use this stuff in hot (above 85 F) weather with great satisfaction:

http://www.bikeworld.com/products/20...nk-Powder.html

I supplement the "Heat Endurance" drink with eLoad "Zone" electrolyte sustainer capsules during 90 to 100 degree temps. No cramping, burning/aching, and "out of gas" muscle weakness feeling.
    Last edited by Thrifty1; 08-06-07 at 05:22 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek 4500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about this, but I've occasionally had symptoms that I thought might be RLS related.

When my legs feel like that, I've tried stretching for 10-15 minutes before bed and found it helpful. Maybe it would help you, too.

My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
    Wait a minute...I just noticed I am now listed as a "Senior Member." How did this happen??? Inside my helmet, it's still 25!!
    50 posts makes you a "Senior Member, I think. At least, that's when I noticed that I had been labeled that.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the potassium, but take it the fun way: bananas.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent View Post
    +1 on the potassium, but take it the fun way: bananas.
    Would a banana daquiri work?
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason when I read the title of this thread that song "You Make Me Feel Like Dancin..." popped into my head. Maybe you should dance a few dances before retiring and that might help? I mean if you believe there might be a teensy little chance that psychic friends network and all that jazz has it going on, what if I got a message here?
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never lift wights in the evening, because it sets all my muscles on edge. I really can't sleep too well. I don't think it is uncommon for exertion in the evening or later at night to cause muscle stimulation and jumpiness.

My Bikes
    Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along the same lines as others have mentioned, is it possible that you are taking medications that are known to deplete potassium, or perhaps there's an imbalance in your sports/energy drink, if any?

Or perhaps, if you formerly had several hours to relax before going to sleep, and now you're exercising longer hours, with shorter relaxation period before sleep, you're just not getting enough rest? (According to your legs, anyway). Hope you find a solution fast!

---------Ally
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
    - Buckaroo Banzai

My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check (commuter), Lemond Sarthe (sports car), Schwinn fixed gear conversion (for fun)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, yes... very funny and oh-so-witty.

It might just be potassium or something, but this is possibly a neurological problem, and not related to riding bikes. I have it as well, although my symptoms are somewhat different. If you have not been checked out by a doctor you should consider doing this just to rule out something more serious (I am not a doctor and don't pretend to be but I am not going to be flip about this either). there are prescription drug for RLS but I have not tried it because I am not troubled enough to chance the side effects). Good luck!!

Zipper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have RLS, but my legs used to twitch after I went to sleep (confirmation from wife). I say "used to" because a trainer suggested using a core foam roller. It's a tube of plastic (urethane?). There are many stretching routines you can use. The one I use for my calfs is to roll each calf over the roller with the other leg on top (sitting down with your palms flat on the floor). Do this for about a minute for each calf. Haven't had any twitches since I started using it.

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend that has a similar condition. He does 150 squats every night, right before he goes to bed. His legs are massive.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found relief from RLS symptoms by cutting way down on food additives. Home made spaghetti sauce, okay. Jarred spaghetti sauce, twitchy symptoms. Anything that comes in a container, I read the ingredients. Too many chemicals, it stays on the shelf.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not have RLS but I do have nights after harder rides where my legs keep me up. Generally it is just due to more fatigue than usual and not being able to find a comfortable position, so I toss and turn a lot. This sounds a bit different from your problem though.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added magnesium supplements to my diet and RLS disappeared. If it is a placebo effect it is an effective one. Be careful of Parkinson's related supplements for RLS. A partner at my wife's firm has been on TV describing a horror show she experienced. She was not advised that a fairly rare side effect is gambling addiction. About $350K later she was informed.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.2, Specialized Sirius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Potassium, any way you can get it (I'm not sure the banana daquiri has enough banana in it though).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a quinine product sold at w mart which works great for my wife. It is called leg cramps and sells for about $2. It is always best to go to the medical professionals and have all the required and sometimes life threatening test done but if you don't want to go this route then the above product might work for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast