Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A tour for us old folks

Three weeks ago the wife and I went to St Jerome, QC, just north of Montreal and rode Le P'tit Train Du Nord. A 125 mile long rail trail that runs through the Laurentian mountains. We had a fantastic time. On day one we traveled by bus from St Jerome to Mt Laurier at the northern end of the trail. We then spent 4 days doing an easy 35 miles per day - 23 on the last day. We spent each of 3 nights in a B&B along the way. Our luggage was transported for us by the bus company so it was just us on our bicycles.The particular package we chose had each inn situated on a lake, and included 3 meals a day. A light lunch was packed for us in a small insulated bag which hung nicely over our saddles. The food was great at every stop and I managed to gain 6 lbs after 4 days of riding. The lunch bag was not needed as there were plenty of small bistros along the trail where one could stop for snacks and refreshment. There are also plenty of rest areas and shelters along the trail, along with spigots for drinking water.Since a good portion of the trail is unpaved (crushed rock and sand) most people ride it on hybrids or mountain bikes. We did it on our road bikes with no problems as the unpaved section was very firmly packed. It wasn't even a problem in the heavy rain we encountered on our second day of riding. I highly recommend this area for anyone looking for an inexpensive multi day cycling vacation. The hardest part was the 7 hour drive back to NYC on the last day

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds wonderful!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tour for old folks? Gustaf Hakansson (a.k.a. "Stalfarfar") rode his 3-speed bike from Sweden to the Holy Land when he was in his early 80s.

TCS
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds nice. Who did you tour with?

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great trip. Did you do this with a commercial touring company? If so, do you have a link where they could be reached?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did the cycloberge package http://www.tremblantonwego.com/cyclo...cloberge-A.pdf , but there are many others to choose from. You can also bike / camp as there are campsites and campgrounds located along the route (if you feel like carrying all the extra weight)
    Heres a link to similar packages

http://www.transportduparclineaire.c...tenaires_e.php

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does sound wonderful.

I'm really looking forward to next year when the final piece of the rail trails in my area is completed. There's an 8 mile spur that will complete the Badger State Trail to Madison. Once that is done, there will be 135 miles of trails linked. So I could start out of my driveway and end up in my driveway after riding up to 270 miles (out and back), never passing the same point more than twice.

These trails pass through many nice small towns, and Madison too for a night in the city, if one wishes. Lots of motels, hotels, and B&Bs, along with at least 8-10 campgrounds and three state parks. And only about 20 miles of the trails (those around Madison) have more than light usage. When riding in the Spring or Fall you can ride 5-10 miles without seeing another trail user. If one skipped the Madison loop, it would leave around 115-118 miles of trails one-way.

Some friends of mine recently completed a 14-day vacation where they started on the Katy Trail in Missouri then came up to Wisconsin for several days and finished with 3 days in Minnesota. Along the way they rode about 250 miles of trails, canoed one day, attended Norwegian and Czech festivals, and visited Hannibal MO, Nauvoo IL, and Red Wing MN along the Mississippi to see historical sites. They camped every night of the trip, except for the 2 days they stayed at my house. He sent me a CD with about 400 pictures they took along the way. He's still raving about the trip and wanting to do it again.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    That does sound wonderful.

I'm really looking forward to next year when the final piece of the rail trails in my area is completed. There's an 8 mile spur that will complete the Badger State Trail to Madison. Once that is done, there will be 135 miles of trails linked. So I could start out of my driveway and end up in my driveway after riding up to 270 miles (out and back), never passing the same point more than twice.

These trails pass through many nice small towns, and Madison too for a night in the city, if one wishes. Lots of motels, hotels, and B&Bs, along with at least 8-10 campgrounds and three state parks. And only about 20 miles of the trails (those around Madison) have more than light usage. When riding in the Spring or Fall you can ride 5-10 miles without seeing another trail user. If one skipped the Madison loop, it would leave around 115-118 miles of trails one-way.

Some friends of mine recently completed a 14-day vacation where they started on the Katy Trail in Missouri then came up to Wisconsin for several days and finished with 3 days in Minnesota. Along the way they rode about 250 miles of trails, canoed one day, attended Norwegian and Czech festivals, and visited Hannibal MO, Nauvoo IL, and Red Wing MN along the Mississippi to see historical sites. They camped every night of the trip, except for the 2 days they stayed at my house. He sent me a CD with about 400 pictures they took along the way. He's still raving about the trip and wanting to do it again.
    But what made this nice was the bus company that did the luggage transport. So while there was no official tour guide or SAG along the route, we traveled at our own pace, and the bags were at the next inn waiting for us. On the last day one of our friends didn't feel well, so they picked up her and her bike for the last leg of the trip. Let me know if someone gets something like that going, and we'll be out to WI next summer!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think they run buses to your next destination, but on the Elroy-Sparta/400/etc system of trails, they do offer a car shuttle service, where they will move your vehicle to a limited set of locations. My friends had them do this, so no one had to go back to get the car.

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs View Post
    Tour for old folks? Gustaf Hakansson (a.k.a. "Stalfarfar") rode his 3-speed bike from Sweden to the Holy Land when he was in his early 80s.

TCS
    those Swedes are a hearty breed

That sounds like my kind of tour, forget the mileage, six pounds in 4 days?!?! That's some good eating!
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think they run buses to your next destination, but on the Elroy-Sparta/400/etc system of trails, they do offer a car shuttle service, where they will move your vehicle to a limited set of locations. My friends had them do this, so no one had to go back to get the car.
    I will do the Reedsburg-Elroy-Sparta-Onalaska-Perrot State Park Trail starting tomorrow at 8:00 AM and hope to be there at 3:00 PM. Stay in a Trempealeau motel. Return Friday Providence willing.
    That will be >200 miles in two days.
    I have done this many times before. The biggest challenge is to drive home for two hours after the 100 mile bike ride. I am finding that difficult. I will try to do dinner and then drive home. If that does not work I will go to a motel.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. I just saw this on another Adventure Cycling, and thought I'd pass it on....

Lewis & Clark - Summer 2007 created: 01/26/2007
    Small group of 60+-year-old men and one 45-year-old woman are retracing the Lewis & Clark Bicycle Trail from Illinois to the Pacific. Doing one 600 mile segment each year. This coming year we'll be leaving from Great Falls, Montana, and finishing in Missoula, Montana. Willing to include more companions for all or part of the trip. Leaving Great Falls on Saturday, August 25, 2007 and arriving in Missoula on Friday, August 31. 70 to 90 miles a day with time for history lessons. Camping but eat meals out. Sag will be available. If interested, call Neil at (206) 910-7515 or email

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went to the website, and your tour looks really nice!!! I bookmarked it... it's something you could do even as a beginner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supergrandpa Memorial Ride

In 2007 my self and my friend, a 63 years old Swede, drove the distance from Ystad to Haparanda 1,212 miles in 12 days on Swedish single-speed roadsters from 1938 and 1948.
    The Vikings of Scandinavia are not extinct.
    Follow this link to read more: www.stalfarfarcykling2007.se

Neil_B
    There are a number of such services, called "outfitters", that will carry you along the trail network between Pittsburgh and Washington DC. It's handy if you'd rather not rent a car.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    But what made this nice was the bus company that did the luggage transport. So while there was no official tour guide or SAG along the route, we traveled at our own pace, and the bags were at the next inn waiting for us. On the last day one of our friends didn't feel well, so they picked up her and her bike for the last leg of the trip. Let me know if someone gets something like that going, and we'll be out to WI next summer!
    You might want to check out the Pedal Across Wisconsin website. They are mainly road rides and daily averages are closer to 60 miles. Stays are in "Best Western" style motels and the cost is quite reasonable. We've taken a PAW tour each summer for several years and I'm planning to do two this summer.
    Last edited by Retro Grouch; 03-18-08 at 10:36 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou SuperGrandpa!!!!!

I have been looking for this thread!

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Supergrandpa View Post
    In 2007 my self and my friend, a 63 years old Swede, drove the distance from Ystad to Haparanda 1,212 miles in 12 days on Swedish single-speed roadsters from 1938 and 1948.
    The Vikings of Scandinavia are not extinct.
    Follow this link to read more: www.stalfarfarcykling2007.se
    I'm exhausted just reading that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pictures from the Supergrandpa Memorial Ride

Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    Thankyou SuperGrandpa!!!!!

I have been looking for this thread!
    The English version is not good my apologies for the translation. I'll give you a guide to find more pictures from the trip: Go to the page "IMAGES" and click on the "LÄNK" at the bottom of the windows under the shirts.

Enjoy!