I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone verify it's bad luck to...

speak out loud about how many miles you've gone without a flat?

(I almost hesitate to say this much!)
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you better carry 3 tubes and 2 patch kits on your rides this week.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too late. You've already blown it.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you can sell your old tubes for soaker hoses. Upside down white bike gonna get dirty w/all those flats.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't even think it or you are doomed.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Saturday, I got my first flat in about 10 years. And I got it by tempting fate. My father-in-law owns a property that has an old railroad track on it. It was dismantled and now is very similar to a rail trail, an undeveloped one. He has 1/3rd of a mile of the trail on his property.

The trail had a lot of glass on it and we've gone up and down it a number of times over the past 5 years picking up all of it. Before riding on it, I went up and down it picking up a half-gallon ice cream bucket of glass. Then I rode on it, one time. Sure enough, I got a flat.

But at least I wasn't out on the road somewhere. I was done riding and haven't even fixed it yet.

On the whole, I think wider hybrid tires that have thicker tread patterns get a lot less flats than thin road tires. My tires are wearing down a bit, probably have about 1500 miles on them.

Sometime this week I'll get to experience trying to patch a tube for the first time in 10 years. Or maybe I'll just use a new tube, I have two sitting in my parts box.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be bad luck to state that I've never had a toeclip- or clipless-related fall? On the other hand, I'm a middle-aged guy whose memory is suspect and maybe I just don't remember. Remember what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Would it be bad luck to state that I've never had a toeclip- or clipless-related fall? On the other hand, I'm a middle-aged guy whose memory is suspect and maybe I just don't remember. Remember what?
    Sounds like a bad case of CRS*.

*can't remember *****

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been thinking about this lately. 1500 miles without a flat on the road... one in the shop , and one in the garage is all. I'm gonna pack a spare tube tomorrow.

Normally I would not dare post something like this... I am only doing it in the interest of science. If it is tempting fate, I will have a flat within the week!

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my local forum, we're running too competitions.
    The Black Cat Award for the number of punctures - coz it's bad luck to run over a black cat.

and the alternative competition for the longest time before you get a puncture, the Lapin Rouge - the red rabbit, a rabbit's foot being lucky and the Lantern Rouge being the tail ender in the Tour de France (we combined the concepts).

You have to register to join the Lapin Rouge comp, thus inciting the bad luck fairies ... and so far, I'm the only one to dip out.

To compete in the Black Cat, all you have to do is list your punctures if and when you get them, ie no stirring up the bad luck fairies. The Black Cat award is alive and healthy thanks to the lousy condition of our roads and the amount of glass thrown around.

I don't get it. You thumb your nose at the bad luck fairies (the Lapin Rouge) and you don't get punctures. You keep quiet (the Black Cat) and you get punctures.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I haven't had a flat in almost 4 years. Dont't use slime or thick tubes either. Here kitty kitty kitty.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.2, Specialized Sirius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can absolutely verify it!!!!!!

Make that 4 patches and 3 spare tubes.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is like mentioning Macbeth (a.k.a. The Scottish Play) in a theater. DG has already jinxed the board. I recommend banishment unless we can come up with a sufficiently painful and humiliating way for DG to appease the demons he has summoned.

It should, at the very least, involve clipless pedals. And mud.
    Last edited by bcoppola; 08-07-07 at 07:21 AM.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All i can attest to is I never got a flat till one night before a ride, I mentioned to my wife that I still hadn't had one. You guessed it, that night I got my first flat.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the advice of counsel, I respectfully decline to answer.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of depends on who you ask. I think that I hardly ever have flats, but when I do have one and mention it to my wife, she says something like, "Boy you have a lot of flat tires." And she doesn't even have to fix them....I've stopped mentioning the subject.......
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will gladly state that I have done 1750Miles since January on the OCR3 and never had a flat - or a puncture - or even a tyre problem. But then I would be lying. Not talking about the new one either.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never mention unintended de-inflation by name.

TCS
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang! Someone has requested a visit from the p*nct*re fairy! Glad I didn't do that!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've proudly ridden about ten miles since my last FLAT TIRE. All I did to deserve that one was to READ THIS THREAD, not even reply to it. I don't think the bad luck thing is restricted to speaking of it, apparently thinking about it is enough.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going on a club ride tonight. If I have a f**t, I'm getting a plane ticket to San Diego so I can kick someone's a**.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took off on a 28 mile road ride on Saturday. 2 miles into it I realized that I had forgotten my bike bag with spare tube etc. I pondered going back to get it. Then I remembered that the only time I have a mechanical is when I ride with freeranger, and he was nowhere to be seen, so I kept on going.

No problems.

My Bikes
    Klein Quantum, Summit Comp Pro TR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to get at least a flat a month--my luck has changed markedly since I started running Michelin Krylion Carbons (well, except for that unfortunate dual-simultaneous-flats-after-hitting-bad-RR-tracks coupled with non-functional pump thing a couple of months back). Nonetheless, I carry 2 spare tubes and glueless patch kit and my cell phone [the collect phone call to the wife to rescue me from the aforementioned incident cost $15 for 90 seconds] and my multitool in the seatbag everywhere I go as a talisman. Thorns and glass can sense when you're riding without those sorts of things and will jump into your path just to spite you. If you listen closely you can hear them snickering while you're muttering on the side of the road.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if the odometer on my old Bridgestone 200 is accurate, then about 4,300 miles, not including flats in the garage. I have never in my life had a flat on the road.

But, because I didn't know how to fix one, I used to get new tubes every spring, and I know I got new tires a few times, too. Plus, I ride really* carefully. I don't go by road debris, and I don't go over pot holes or rough stuff. I slow way down, esp. for railroad tracks and the like. I dodge potholes. And I check my tires with my hands after every ride to make sure there's no gravel stuck in them.

Now that I know how to swap out a tube, I'll probably get one a week.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm even willing to laugh and point my finger at the broken chain fairy. Bicycles are machines and as such are destined to do the bidding of their masters.

Uh......hang on a minute I think I hear a strange scratching sound coming fromt the shop.....be right ba

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast