Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basic accessories for my new bike?

I'm polling the cycling intelligentsia on the 50+ forum and see what basic accessories I need for my new bike. It's not here yet, but I want to be ready.

I am pretty sure I am going to recycle (haha, little pun) my crank bros pedals from my hybrid and put them on the new bike. It makes sense in two ways, one I don't have to learn to use a new pedal system and risk falling like I did innumerable times while learning to use the crank bros, two, I can keep my same shoes. Later when I recover from the bike expense, I can get better pedals and shoes.

I will need a computer, just a basic model is fine. I'd like some kind of bag or pack, nothing too obtrusive. Can you put a seat post rack on a carbon seat post? I will need some sort of mirror.

Anything else? Whattya think?

Colleen

I
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't want to hear from me, as it just wouldn't be right for you to look like a Frieda on a Serotta.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mom,
    Kudos on your new bike. In addition to a mirror, I have a small bag under my saddle containing money, spare tube, tire irons, and gas to fill.On the handle bar I carrry a can of halt, when I remember. That and a couple of bottle cages pretty much takes care of the necessities for me. Sunglasses and a bit of food easily fit into a jersey pocket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4greatkids View Post
    I will need a computer, just a basic model is fine. I'd like some kind of bag or pack, nothing too obtrusive. Can you put a seat post rack on a carbon seat post? I will need some sort of mirror. Anything else?
    Wouldn't recommend seat post rack on carbon post. Maybe a post mounted rear fender.
    Computer is non-essential, but they're cheap.
    Mirror is definately non-essential.
    Small under seat bag for spare tube, CO2, tire lever, multi tool.

You got the pedals and helmet (I assume).
    Wool jersey is a must.
    How about a rain jacket, pants & booties?
    How about a second set of lighter weight wheels for fast days?
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    You don't want to hear from me, as it just wouldn't be right for you to look like a Frieda on a Serotta.

Oh I will probably look more Fredwina than OCP, but that's just the way it goes! As a wise philosopher (my mom) once said, like it or lump it
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

It's all about the Ort. TrackGuy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Centurion Trac; Carnielli; Ross Mt Hood; TREK 5200.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Negative on the seat post rack and carbon seat post combo. The carbon isn't set up to take the stress of the rack mount.

Isn't the female version of a Fred is a Doris?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One "accessory" I might suggest is an increase on your credit limit of your favorite credit card.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got to have bell to get those slowpokes out of your way (or to make the kids in the yards you pass smile).
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    One "accessory" I might suggest is an increase on your credit limit of your favorite credit card.
    And we'll be happy to help you spend it!

I like my Cateye Enduro 8 computer, it's basic and not expensive.

I have two bottle cages in case there's no place to stop for water.

That's a beautiful bike you're planning to get.... which color did you chose?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackGuy View Post

Isn't the female version of a Fred is a Doris?
    There are conflicting references.

Whoever authored the Wikipedia article on "Freds" says it is "Doris."

But the multi-year effort to build the "Dictionary of Roadie Slang" says it is Freida.
    http://members.tripod.com/geert_pc/slang.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that sweet looking bike, or what? Of I'm hoping you got the blue
    The assumption seems to be CO2 but, if you don't want to go that route, you'll need a frame pump. The make nice, lightweight carbon pumps. Really nice looking, too. Water bottle cages (and bottle to go in them) are a must. I use a Specialized Turbo computer. Simple. Pretty darned cheap and it works
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you lived in Seattle, rain gear might be important. But, I lived in Amherst, Ohio for a few years and you do not need rain gear in Lorain County.

I would want a cell phone, a new tube, a pump of some type, a multi-tool with tire lever, a cycle computer, lights (if I planned to ride at night), water bottle(s), a helmet mounted mirror, personal indentification, a house key, and possibly a heart rate monitor. Many of these things can be worn on your person. Since you are over 50 in age, a pair of glasses for close-up work might be a good thing.
    Who am I?
    Where did I come from?
    Why am I here?
    Where am I going?

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only other thing I carry that hasn't already been mentioned is a chain tool, short length of chain, and a replacement pin (if Shimano) or Powerlink (if a SRAM chain). Might also carry some duct tape (can wrap just a little around a piece of cardboard)--if a spoke would break, then you can use the tape to hold the loose spoke to another so it doesn't cause further damage (happens more on mtn.bikes than road, but it can happen!)
    Last edited by freeranger; 08-08-07 at 06:37 AM. Reason: thought of another item.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A flat repair kit and/or spare tube, and a bicycle multi-tool are essential. I believe a mirror is essential on a road bike, (sorry Wildwood). Remove the reflectors, unless you do any riding after dark. Forget the rain gear - if it looks like rain, stay at home - if you get caught in a sudden thunder storm a little water isn't going to hurt you. You might look into a small messenger bag in lieu of the wedgie, but a light wedgie bag will do just fine to carry your kit.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think a bright blinking tail light is a good thing for a road bike, even during the daylight hours because the cars closest to you are approaching from behind. The kind that sort of random strobe like police lights seem to have the best chance of attracting attention.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clothespins (spring type) and playing cards.

I don't like the idea of a big ol' seatpost rack on a fleet, elegant road bike. Ick! And it's really not needed except for commuting or touring.

My basic accessory kit:

I carry a spare tube, patch kit, multitool, and tire levers in a wedge seat bag.

If I need to carry leg/arm warmers, vest, or rain gear for iffy/changeable weather, they go in a fannypack.

Frame mounted pump.

Eyeglass mounted mirror.

Lights, front and back.

Computer.

Bottle cages (two).

Wallet, keys, cellphone and snacks go in the jersey pockets.

Floor pump (carried in the car during riding season).

I can't see needing more for urban/suburban rides within 20 miles or so from home. I might add a bell though.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I never even consider a Silver & Black bike for much the sort of reasons
    I use a helmet mounted mirror and have for over a year. It wasn't hard to adjust to at all, really, and I would feel quite lost without it.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I think a bright blinking tail light is a good thing for a road bike, even during the daylight hours because the cars closest to you are approaching from behind. The kind that sort of random strobe like police lights seem to have the best chance of attracting attention.
    +1 on the "blinkie". No bike leaves my driveway without one, day & night !!!!!
    If you're out after dark (why do we say "after dark"...it's during dark), so if
    you're riding during dark, you should put a blinkie and a headlight on the front
    also, not so much for your vision needs but so as to be certain to be seen.

Enjoy the new bike.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, no yaller bikes for me because of those pesky insects at the North Ave. Trade School in Hotlanta. WOOF
    Many multi-tools include a chain tool.
    You know you don't really want to scratch the paint on your top tube by snapping the cables on it. It would never ring like an Incredibell anyway.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Let's ride to the pub!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In some places the law requires a headlight to ride during dark.

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Many multi-tools include a chain tool.
    You know you don't really want to scratch the paint on your top tube by snapping the cables on it. It would never ring like an Incredibell anyway.
    excellent point, I'm already fretting about scratching my bike and I don't even have it! I'll get a bell (+1 for the Fredwina look)

So far, here's what I need to buy: (other stuff that's been mentioned I have already)

multi tool w/chain tool

wedge seat pack for tubes, etc

replacement chain link and a pin

blinkie

fanny pack or messenger bag or small backpack (in lieu of attaching a rack and a pack) for extra clothing if the weather demands

computer (probably the Planet bike aero wireless on sale at Performance for $30)

a bell

two bottle cages

A second set of lighter wheels would be nice, but not necessary

The shop said the frame would be here the third week of August, that would be next week right? I will exercise great restraint and refrain from calling and asking about it (for now)
    Townes Van Zandt

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bike that sexy should be ridden in a bikini

Just sayin

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget the road ID!
    http://www.roadid.com
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    A bike that sexy should be ridden in a bikini

Just sayin
    If I ever get such a sexy bike I'll do so. And I'll send you a picture.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4greatkids View Post
    excellent point, I'm already fretting about scratching my bike and I don't even have it! I'll get a bell (+1 for the Fredwina look)

So far, here's what I need to buy: (other stuff that's been mentioned I have already)

multi tool w/chain tool

wedge seat pack for tubes, etc

replacement chain link and a pin

blinkie

fanny pack or messenger bag or small backpack (in lieu of attaching a rack and a pack) for extra clothing if the weather demands

computer (probably the Planet bike aero wireless on sale at Performance for $30)

a bell

two bottle cages

A second set of lighter wheels would be nice, but not necessary

The shop said the frame would be here the third week of August, that would be next week right? I will exercise great restraint and refrain from calling and asking about it (for now)
    Serottas are like Porsches. The only thing a woman needs with her Porsche is a pair of stilettos and a cell phone. She can summon anything else she needs.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast