Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What have I done? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/330719-what-have-i-done.html)

WillisB 08-08-07 03:32 PM

What have I done?

I offered to help my buddy with the sporting goods store sell his old stock on e-bay. In return he gave me a New-Old Stock Miyata 718a road bike! Built in 1989 18 speed w/Biopace chainrings 28/38/48. The cogs are 13-34. Shimano "Mountain" derailleurs. Shimano brake levers. Too hot to ride today. I will do a short ride tomorrow and post pics and a report.

The Weak Link 08-08-07 03:36 PM

This is my analysis: you helped a friend and in gratitude he gave you a cool bike.

Glad I could help clear that up.

BluesDawg 08-08-07 03:56 PM

Nice find. Here's a little info about the bike:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=267155

BSLeVan 08-08-07 04:14 PM

What you've done is got yourself a nice bike that will cruise comfortably all day long. Not a bad payday IMHO.

stapfam 08-09-07 11:55 AM

If it is that new and in prime condition- It could be ripe for an upgrade to more gears- 8, 9 or even 10 speed. This would also involve new wheels and Changers(Brifters possibly) but with your expertise on "E" Bay- could be a very cheap way to a "modern" bike. But if the bike works well after your "Test" ride- You still have a very nice bike.

WillisB 08-09-07 12:48 PM

Here it is

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...tos/Miyata.jpg

I rode it 12 mi. yesterday and 16 mi today. It is smooth and relatively nimble. I can get out of the saddle with a great deal of confidence as compared to my drop-bar mtb commuter. Both of these rides were over 2 mph faster than I have ever done them before! And that is while getting used to the bike.

It took most of the first ride to get used to the downtube shifting. It seemed quite natural to me today. The 6 speed rear seems quite adequate. I didn't feel I was lacking anything as compared to my 8 speed bikes. I will keep it this way for a while before considering any changes.

I was wrong about the big cog. It is a 28 not a 34. To tell the truth I wasn't in it much. This thing just wants to climb.

While not light in comparison to a modern bike at 21.5 lbs, it is significantly lighter than my commuter. It is also smoother, accellerates more quickly, and more nimble.

I put my Selle San Marco Blaze Ti saddle on it. I was never happy with it on the other bike. On this one it is quite comfy. Probably due to the geometry difference and the smoother ride.

I am happy with it! :D

Digital Gee 08-09-07 01:04 PM

It's bee a you ti full! Lovely accents on that WHITE bike! :D

stapfam 08-09-07 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5035664)
It's bee a you ti full! Lovely accents on that WHITE bike! :D

Nothing that a can of paint can't fix.

WillisB- Take back all I said about Converting to more gears. That is one hell of a bike- Getting on for veteran and in Mint condition. Now do you ride it -Or Put in on the wall in the lounge- That is a work of art.

And 21 1/2 lbs is not that heavy.

WillisB 08-09-07 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 5035877)
Nothing that a can of paint can't fix.

WillisB- Take back all I said about Converting to more gears. That is one hell of a bike- Getting on for veteran and in Mint condition. Now do you ride it -Or Put in on the wall in the lounge- That is a work of art.

And 21 1/2 lbs is not that heavy.

Ride It! Of course!

BSLeVan 08-09-07 01:38 PM

That is one sweet looking classic ride. I have an all steel that I keep at 7 speeds with downtube shifters. It's kind of like riding in the old MG Midget.

WillisB 08-09-07 01:54 PM

The main triangle on this one is aluminum with the stays and forks in Cro-Mo. It really dampens out the road buzz compared to my other bikes.

Bikewer 08-09-07 07:15 PM

I rebuilt and sold a Miyata roadster last year, a very nice "pro" model with excellent Suntour components and all. I would have kept it but it was too large. Very nice bikes for the period.

robtown 08-09-07 07:32 PM

Very nice - road bikes are sweet rides. I enjoy my Miyata (a 1990 frame from what I can tell) - currently in the process of being converted into my fast 9 speed carbon TT bar racer. Quality touring bikes are great - I fixed up a Lotus for a coworker and he's been enjoying the ride. I have a Dawes Super Galaxy on the back burner.

roadiespinner 08-09-07 08:01 PM

I had an identical bike, same paint, and road it around town for many years. It was a good ride but I moved into a house with a smaller garage and had to downsize from 36 bikes to 10. The Miyata was a victim of the downsizing. You should get good use from this bike.

Terrierman 08-09-07 08:06 PM

Nice bike is what comes to mind. Karma can be a good thing.

BluesDawg 08-09-07 08:53 PM

Me likey. :)

ticwanos 08-09-07 10:15 PM

This is one absolutely beautiful ride! Treasure it.

soma5 08-09-07 11:45 PM

Hey, I like downtube shifters. My first ride after 12 years found me reaching for the downtube (with the correct hand). Of course, the joke was on me because the bike had brifters. Old habits die hard. The bike is very nice - I'd like to ride it.

-soma5

TrackGuy 08-10-07 06:04 PM

+1 on the downtube shifters. Add a pair of aero brake levers and you've got a clean looking bike.

BluesDawg 08-10-07 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by TrackGuy (Post 5045492)
+1 on the downtube shifters. Add a pair of aero brake levers and you've got a clean looking bike.

Uh, it already has aero brake levers.

card 08-11-07 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by WillisB (Post 5035532)

That is a beautiful bike. Old bikes with the small, round tubes look so clean and elegant when compared to the new bikes with the oversized or odd shaped tubes.

Enjoy your classic.

ps: I have a Ti frame w/light components. When I ride w/my seat bag and water, the bike weighs over 25 lbs. I have found that as long as I have more weight on my gut than I need, I won't worry about the weight of the bike.:o