Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why did you pick your bike?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why did you pick your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by momof4greatkids

I did not know of the Serotta brand until I was scouting around on the 'net comparing bikes I had test ridden. The name came up comparing favorably to the Specialized Roubaix which was on my short list of bikes I was interested in. A buddy on bikejournal has a Serotta in his stable, and it sparked my interest because he is someone who's been riding for 30+ years and knows his bikes. In searching, I found a shop within 30 miles that I didn't even know existed that is a serotta dealer. I also found that Bicyling mag gave the fierte the thumbs up for "plush ride of the year"

Colleen
My wife went for a fitting at the shop where I bought my Seven. They are also Serrotta dealers. He recommended the Serrota Fierte for her, but she didn't want to wait or spend that much money. For a bike that came close to her particular geometry he recommended the Roubaix, saying that the frame was very similar to the Serrota design.
Old 08-10-07, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't pick it. It picked me. I tested more bikes than you can imagine. Some spoke to me some didn't, but only one said, "Hey, make me go faster; make me go farther. I'll make you happy every time you take me out. Choose me. You won't be sorry."
Old 08-10-07, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my bike because it WASN'T white...
Old 08-10-07, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This might sound simplistic, but it really isn't. Because I liked it the best. So far, I still do.
Old 08-10-07, 03:39 PM
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 53 Posts
I belong to the club that thinks that Fuji is one of the best values in the industry. The closest dealer to me is 40 miles , and being a small shop in a small town he does not stock a bunch of them .He will order what you want on request.
I was patient and dilgent and found one on ebay last december. 2003 Roubaix Pro. Last year for the steel frame. Full 105 group ,carbon fork. weight 19.4 lbs. Seller said 200 miles and you can tell it was barely ridden. List 1650 and I got it for 520 plus shipping. I did add a ritchey adjustable stem. Climbs like a dream.Big change from the 30 + pound mountain bike I rode centuries on the last two years. One heck of bike for the price.
Old 08-10-07, 04:09 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I look for low priced craigslist bikes or frames on craigslist. I bought one 853 Fuji frame off ebay. I look for my size with different features than bikes I already own. I've built three bikes from frames and sold one so far. I'm building a fourth because I liked the color - yellow fading to white, and I want to try a frame with carbon seat stays. Technically, building from frames with 105+ quality parts adds up - even on sale with additional coupons and credits. The bikes I flip on craigslist make up the difference.
Old 08-10-07, 04:20 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Scott Contessa chose me, because we were both in the LBS at the same time, and the owner said to take the Contessa for a ride, and I came back and said I wanted to take it home with me. I have learned alot since buying this bike and would have a better understanding next time of what I would like, but the owner did a wonderful job of hearing what I wanted in my first road bike, so I have been more than satisfied. However, there is always that possibility that there is another bike out there that will want to come home with me.
Old 08-10-07, 04:22 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
I bought my Alex Moulton because it was the most efficient, most versatile, most comfortable bike I'd ever ridden. After 23 years together, it still is.

TCS
Old 08-10-07, 04:28 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LynnH
My Scott Contessa chose me, because we were both in the LBS at the same time, and the owner said to take the Contessa for a ride, and I came back and said I wanted to take it home with me.
I have heard almost this same story from people who went to bars/pubs.
Old 08-10-07, 04:47 PM

Bikes: Electra Townie 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to feel safe on the bike.

I was returning to cycling after 30+ years and not certain how it would go. I tried out my husband's commuter and felt very out-of-control. I researched and realized I wanted a cruiser where I could sit upright, with a step-through configurarion and the ability to put both feet on the ground while sitting on the seat. Then I tested an Electra Townie 8 at the LBS and felt like I was 10 years old again. It's been so much fun.

Maybe later I'll want something faster - but for now this is perfect.
Old 08-10-07, 05:11 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had bought an aluminum frame road bike at a good price to see if I liked the road bike thing. I liked the bike but it rode very rough. I went into a bike shop while out of town on business and they had a used titanium frame Litespeed Tuscany. I took it for a test ride and it was amazing how it rode better, handled better and looked better than my bike. I did not buy that one, but later found the same bike on e-bay and won it. I have been very happy with it. My other road bike is an older lugged steel frame specialized. I bought it at a yard sale because it came as a package with a nice trainer that I wanted.
Old 08-10-07, 05:28 PM

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had been road riding for a couple years on bikes I picked up on ebay (1989 Specialized Allez Carbon that I found way too flexy) and on craigslist (1991 Bianchi EV2 Aluminum that I built). I was hooked and started looking at more recent carbon frames. A French one would be a plus but were over my budget but I kept looking especially for a 2001 to 2003 Look frame.

Then luck stroke. The Sierra Nevada pro team had been sponsored by Time in 2003 and they put all the frames on ebay at the end of 2004. I had never dreamt of getting a Time as they were way out my price range ($3500 to $4500 for frame, fork, stem, and seatpost). I ended up with a 2003 Time VX Special Pro for $950 in excellent condition. Yes, the same frame Boonen, Bettini, and Museeuw rode.

I built it with Campagnolo and FSA equipment, and Ksyrium SL wheels. The geometry is perfect for me and the bike is so nice to ride.

Last edited by gpelpel; 08-10-07 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 06:26 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can answer for several of my bikes...prepare to be bored:

1988 Trek 820 Antelope.....Bought at my local LBS (a Trek & Schwinn dealer at the time).
I'm not very knowledgeable about components, but I was looking for a year-round bike (specifically
winter). The shop assured me this bike could satisfy my needs...and the bike is black. I liked black at the time. It has been and is still my all around use-it-for-everything bike. Commuting, errands, exploring, etc.

1991 Schwinn 354 aluminum road bike....Had a good review in Bicycling, I was hankering for a good
road bike at the time, I tried it, I liked it, I bought it, I love it.

1994 Burley Tandem (pic included)....Bought to ride with my daughters as a training aid to
riding on the raod and for enjoyment. The frame design of this model made it very easy for my
8 yr. old and both 4 yr. olds to mount and dismount. The frame design was the driving force behind my choice in this purchase.
This pic is from 1994, I grew old and fat and she's an Aerospace Engineer now.

1986 Raleigh Marathon.....Purchased in Jan 2007, I was missing my old Varsity,
I stumbled into this bike at the LBS, It's in great shape, steel, rides like the Varsity only better, and
it's the same color as the Burley which I'm becoming quite fond of. So I bought it.

2001 Raleigh C-40....Was looking for a Green Comfort/Hybrid and stumbled into this at a LBS.
It's sorta a Teal color (like the Burley), I liked it and bought it on the spot. This was truely an
impulse purchase. I like the bike, the aluminum frame gives a nice stiff nimble ride, I like the
color, but the rear shifter seems to be problematic and the frame may be a wee bit small for me.
I should have researched and shopped longer on this one!!!

Last edited by cranky old dude; 08-10-07 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 07:00 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
For me, it's nostalgia and value. I love the look and the ride of the old lugged moly steel frames. Since my first bicycle was a balloon-tired Schwinn and my second was a bottom-of-the-line Bianchi road bike, it's probably only natural that today I ride a fat-tired Schwinn mountain bike and a nice mid-level Bianchi road bike. I commuted on a beat-up 1960 Capo Modell Campagnolo during grad school, and years later, when I found each of my current Capos, I couldn't resist -- their distinctive carved-out head lugs look really sharp, and the ride quality is absolutely ideal for a half-century or century.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-10-07, 07:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neat older custom steel frame with great parts/components - DuraAce, Ultegra, Cinelli, Campy - at a steal price. I love a bargain, and sometimes nostalgia IS what it used to be
Old 08-10-07, 09:37 PM
"Big old guy"

Bikes: Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a bit of a mutant really tall with short legs. So I saved up and ordered a fully custom frame sized to fit my unique body type. To choose my builder I did a great deal of reasearch, and looked at examples of their work. I then choose each and every component, and the hardest choice of all the colour.
I have been really happy with my experience and would recommend a good custom frame to anyone thinking of a high end bike.
Old 08-11-07, 03:38 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by hoss10
I'm a bit of a mutant really tall with short legs. So I saved up and ordered a fully custom frame sized to fit my unique body type. To choose my builder I did a great deal of reasearch, and looked at examples of their work. I then choose each and every component, and the hardest choice of all the colour.
I have been really happy with my experience and would recommend a good custom frame to anyone thinking of a high end bike.
So, what color was it?
Old 08-11-07, 05:37 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I picked my Lemond Reno after reading reviews, deciding what grade of components I would be satisfied with, reputation of the LBS, and the Lemond seemed to fit best of the bikes I rode, and was on sale, with an upgraded wheelset. Price, of course, entered into the decision, and I feel I got a good value for my dollars. It wasn't the cheapest in it's price range, but I know if I have any problems (haven't so far) that the LBS from which it was purchased, will make it right.
Old 08-11-07, 06:57 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted (and got): leightweight, durability, value. I purchased a "last year's model" Merlin Extralight Ti frame equipped with Campy Record components from Excel in Boulder. Great price on a frame that will last forever. Record components packaged with it are great and I got a price break. Swapped out the wheels for Toplolino. 21000 miles on it and two things have gone wrong. A spring broke in a shifter ($59 to fix) and last week a rim cracked on the rear wheel (Topolino is fixing that as a crash replacement at a very reasonable price). One word about custom frames. I seriously considered having one made by Dean Ti in Boulder, but the more I researched it the more I considered it untenable. After all, if you get it done and then a) don't like it or b) your body changes (due to injury etc) you are stuck with it. Others will disagree but that's where I came down.

p.s. The Ti frame, Topo wheels and Michelin Pro Race tires make for a REALLY comfortable ride!
Old 08-11-07, 07:49 AM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted a road bike that was a classic and affordable. I was drooling over my Miyata for over a year. I finally struck up a deal to take it in exchange for computer consulting work. It fits me perfectly.

Plus, I'ts White!
Old 08-11-07, 11:42 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to step up from my two 80's vintage steel road bikes. After narrowing my search for a gently-used Trek or Lemond carbon frame bike, I successfully bid on a NOS Trek 5500 frame on eBay. While arranging payment for the frame, the seller inquired about my plans to build it up. He then offered me an incredible package deal on new Dura Ace group and gorgeous Ksyrium wheels, and shipped the completed bike within 3 days. I couldn't have done better shopping on my own for the individual components, and I am absolutely delighted with the results.
Old 08-12-07, 07:46 AM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our bikes are like our cats. We have WAY to many and they choose us, not the other way around.
-- Leon Briggs
Old 08-12-07, 07:52 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ticwanos
Our bikes are like our cats. We have WAY to many and they choose us, not the other way around.
YMMV. None of my bikes crap in a box and smell up my house.
Old 08-12-07, 03:25 PM
Let's ride to the pub!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blue Bike from REI because I finished back rehab, and thought it might be worthwhile to try to have some fun again, since all indications were that I did not need a burial plot yet.

Diamondback tandem, because LBS had one and we had to have it RIGHT NOW.

Dunno the year Burley Duet because it seemed way way way more right for us than the Diamondback.

Specialized Sequoia with a bunch of upgraded components, because the guy selling the Duet was selling it too, and it was a helluva deal.

Next tandem will be probably be a Co-motion Co-pilot that really fits.
Next bike for me will be one well suited for where (hilly to work and to the store or the pub, sometimes in the light rail car), how (slowly, cautiously, sometimes nervously), and how much (just enough to maximize fun) I ride.
Old 08-13-07, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I decided that I might have more fun riding the roads if I were on a road bike rather than my old Specialized Hardrock. Also, I wanted an aluminum frame/fork. Rode several different brands, but I liked the way the Fuji Newest fit. Finally I found an '06 model that fit really well, XL frame, and got it in March of this year. 1,441 miles later and no complaints.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.