User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did you pick your bike?

Still being a newbie I'm most familiar with the names sold at our LBSs.... Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Kona, Bianchi, Cervello ....

Many of you have some really nice bikes with brands I haven't seen in any of the shops in our area (we've been to at least 6 LBSs close to home) or in any type of ad. For example, momof4greatkid's future Serotta Fierte.

So I'm wondering, if you picked one of the other brands, what led you to that bike? Does it have a reputation for superior performance or engineering? What does it have that you didn't see in another bike? Did it ride like nothing you've ridden before?

("Because it is white" is not a good answer.)
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It fit very well. It had good components. It was a titanium Lemond on sale for under $2000. I didn't have to think twice.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Miyata, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am always value driven, and bought my '05 Fuji Team for that reason. I hate to spread this info since I will buy another and do not want to drive the prices up! I think Fuji is one great bargain.

You can find Fujis at Performance stores, Cycle Spectrum stores (BD owned) , and at some LBS.
    My friend bought a Team full carbon with 105/Ultegra mix for $1200!! At one time I could have bought that bike for 10% off, and an additional 10% as a Performance member when the Austin store opened. For $1000 that would have been a hell of a deal, but mine current bike is fairly new, so I passed for now.

Oh, and BTW it does fit me perfectly!!!
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Awww...guess I don't have an answer for you.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfast View Post
    I am always value driven, and bought my '05 Fuji Team for that reason. I hate to spread this info since I will buy another and do not want to drive the prices up! I think Fuji is one great bargain.
    A guy here owns 4 LBS's and carries Giant, Gary Fisher, Trek, Raleigh, Orbea, Lemond, and up to recently Specialized and Jamis, plus Fuji. He feels that the line that provides the best day-in, day-out value is Fuji. They won't always be the best choice for someone and sometimes there are sales where other bikes are better buys. But when you compare what you get, part by part, at regular prices, they almost always provide better quality for the dollar than other lines.

I don't have an esoteric, upper-line bike, but I know two people who own Orbea Orcas. I can understand why they popped for them as they are absolutely beautiful bikes and performance-wise, they are so responsive that it is hard not to fall in love with them. I've heard the same thing from a couple of people who recently purchased new Trek Madones.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That humour/Humor again. Well done.

First bike was bought because I could afford it. Bianchi was because of the frame that was perfect and could be built on. Offroad Tandem was because of the Frame again. The giant because it was the cheapest "Proper" road bike I could get- And the Boreas because I knew what I wanted in a Road bike and this frame has it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty colors, what else!!!

Actually before purchasing a new bike I did a ton of research and alot of riding of other bikes. I knew exactly what I wanted when I bought it. I knew I wanted a steel bike, with at least Ultegra components, good wheels, easily upgradable, comfortable for the long haul (possibly touring but at least multi day rides) and quick on short rides and affordable. The geometry works with my style of riding. From day one I was happy with the bike...

...and pretty colors didn't hurt!

My advice if looking to buy - educate yourself. Understand bikes and bike geometry. Know components. Think about what you want and need to do on the bike. If strictly a "club" rider you might want to buy a bike totally different than someone, say me, you likes to do long distance. Think about what you can afford and in the long run, what you can add to improve the bike. Basically I have changed out almost everything upgrading my bike (added new handlebars, stem, seat post, saddle, cassette and derailleur and wonderful custom CK wheels). The only thing original other thant he frame is the crank and I'll probably change that shortly.

And first and foremost - understand fit. I would recommend getting a fitting and having your measurements before purchasing a bike. Many a person spends the money on a bike only to find out it's the wrong size and no changing of components can fix that!!!
    Last edited by Pamestique; 08-10-07 at 11:24 AM.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I started by fixing the price. Then I started looking at bikes in the price range, I new I wanted more of a racing bike, all carbon fiber and I knew that I wanted something somewhat different. For me there are so many Specialized, Giant and Treks bikes on the roads I ride I wanted something that I did not see all of the time. At this point my short list was BMC, Scott and Orbea, but then I needed to do test rides and the new Trek's came out. Now my list changes a bit to include the Specialized Tarmac, Madone 5.2 and the Scott CR1. In the end the LBS that gave me the best service had the Tarmac and CR1, I road both and liked the Scott CR1 better and since it had been in my initial list I was good to go.

In the end LBS service, test rides and a design that appealed to my heart drove my decision
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Still being a newbie I'm most familiar with the names sold at our LBSs.... Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Kona, Bianchi, Cervello ....

Many of you have some really nice bikes with brands I haven't seen in any of the shops in our area (we've been to at least 6 LBSs close to home) or in any type of ad. For example, momof4greatkid's future Serotta Fierte.

So I'm wondering, if you picked one of the other brands, what led you to that bike? Does it have a reputation for superior performance or engineering? What does it have that you didn't see in another bike? Did it ride like nothing you've ridden before?

It would have "Zander" on the down tube. The brand is notoriously overpriced for what you get however. (even when given away for the cost of material which they all are).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, which bike?
    My LeMond was on sale and offered componentry -and value- at a price I couldn't ignore.
    My Gary Fisher offered a design I was looking for in my return to cycling. I wanted a dual purpose bike that might not do either one great but did both well.

Both of them were well test ridden and compared between other, similar bikes.
    I liked the way they were put together and how they rode.

My Kaitai is black and -back in my electric days- all my guitars were black.
    My Reno is blue and I am a sucker for a pretty, sparkely blue
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to add... if buying an entry level bike, many of the production bikes out there are perfect but if you have some money to spend - say at least $3500 consider custom. So many beautiful custom bikes out there (yes I know adds to the confusion) - you already mentioned Serotta, there's also Seven, or Moots and even smaller builders like Landshark or Kish, Independent Fabricators, Waterman, Vanilla, lots of great bikes made just the way you want.

My dream (and am saving the money as we speak) is to have Jim Kish build me a custom Ti bike. I want Spectrumpowder coating to do a "lotus" etching on the metal. I want Ultegra 10 speed gruppa, CK ti headset, CK wheels. Sigh... someday!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only went Custom build on the frame but if you have the experience- you know what will work for you. Not a cheap option though and you do need to know what you want.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My road bike and Time Trial bike.......

Because the builder made sure they fitted me and that they were "dialled in" from the word go .

My touring bike........

Because Thorn make the best bikes in the world, with the best gears ( Rohloff)

My Tandem...
    It was cheap!!!

george
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was sucked in by Grant Petersen's ad copy.
    It was 1992 and I was riding my first road bike, a '91 Cannondale with Criterium geometry. The bike was fun to ride and quick as all hell, but on the long rides I found myself doing frequently, it was too stiff and too quick steering for comfort.
    I saw the Bridgestone ads in magazines talking about the all day comfort of traditional stretched-out European roadracing geometry and quality steel tubing on their top of the line RB-1. The straightforward approach and simple but effective design appealed to me.
    I knew from reading reviews that Bridgestones were well made, well designed bikes. Just before tax refund time that year, I walked into my LBS and saw a Bridgestone catalog. The shop manager told me that they had just signed on as a Bridgestone dealer. I told him to order me a red RB-1 size 57.5 without ever test riding or even seeing one of the bikes in person, and that is how I became the first person to buy a Bridgestone bicycle from Bike Tech in Macon, GA.
    Flash forward to 2007. I have ridden that bike tens of thousands of miles, dozens of centuries and I am making plans for my 2nd major component upgrade instead of buying a new bike. Ribby turned out to be a good fit.
    Too bad they stopped making them in 1994. But Grant now has his own brand, Rivendell.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I wanted a compact frame because I'm old, darn it.

Then I learned here that "compact" doesn't necessarily equal "relaxed". So I wanted a "relaxed" frame.

Then I decided that I better not order on line. LBS expertise and all that kind of stuff.

There are a number of LBSs in my area. I went with one that is fairly close to my house, very close to my office, and has a good service department.

That left me Trek v Lemond, Pilot v Buenos Aires, etc.

I wanted to get a Reno. My wife's physical therapist, who has treated me as well and is an avid biker, told her that I needed full carbon because it would be easier on my joints.

I tested a Reno and loved it. My wife had a Buenos Aires set up whilst I was riding, so I tried that as well. Smooth as butter, I tell ya.

She then said she'd pay the difference between the Reno and the BA, and the deal was done.

She might regret that decision. Honest, I'm storing my bike in our bedroom. She thinks that's weird, but you guys understand.

Did I mention that my bike is white?

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price and weight. And somewhat sexy wheels. Plus, there are so many people on BF hating BikeDirect.com I had to order one just to to against the grain. Motobecane Le Champion, Mostly Utegra stuff, American Classic AC420 wheels.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    [...] I wanted to get a Reno. My wife's physical therapist, who has treated me as well and is an avid biker, told her that I needed full carbon because it would be easier on my joints.

I tested a Reno and loved it. My wife had a Buenos Aires set up whilst I was riding, so I tried that as well. Smooth as butter, I tell ya.

She then said she'd pay the difference between the Reno and the BA, and the deal was done.

[...]

Did I mention that my bike is white?

And red, I might add... I know a good pair of shorts to go with that LeMond of yours
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked a Bruce Gordon because I am an extremophile. I've toured before and I will tour again so I want the best touring bike I can afford. Also I am a big strong guy and I tend to break stuff. Gordons' bikes are built to take it.
    This space open

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I choose the BMC because the frame was just extraordinary. Stiff and responsive like aluminum but as smooth as some of the CFs I tested. It fit perfect and just felt right. Oh, and nobody else has one, around here anyway.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted a modern Reynolds 853 steel frame. I own 7 older lugged steel bikes and I love them all, but I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about the newer steel frames. I had read good things about Lemond and I liked the old style paint scheme. Somewhere in the back of my mind I also wanted a green bike because everyone knows that green is faster than white.

I ran across a NOS 2002 green Lemond Alpe de Huez at a bike shop in Orrville, Ohio about 3 years ago. The price was reduced and I had cash in hand. After a week of pondering, it was mine. I swapped out the stem for a shorter one and replaced the 175mm crank set with a 170mm. It fits very well and the ride is as good as advertised.

Fitting it with a brand new set of Mike Garcia custom hand built Velocity Aerohead wheels has dropped the weight into the 19 pound range. Not bad for a steel bike.

I'd say it rides about as well as my '87 Bianchi Columbus SL frame. And that is a huge compliment to the Lemond.
    Last edited by Louis; 08-10-07 at 01:54 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also ride a Lemond - a 2002 Zurich. It is an awesome bike!

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling this will be a long answer, because this is something I am passionate about, so here goes!

I had been scouting every bike shop in my county and every adjacent county looking for my next bike. I rode Trek, Specialized, Giant, Bianchi, Litespeed, C'dale's in every material from aluminum to carbon to ti. I wasn't finding anything that really tripped my trigger. I didn't allow price be my only consideration, though there were limits to what I could spend (and I've only barely exceeded them )

I did not know of the Serotta brand until I was scouting around on the 'net comparing bikes I had test ridden. The name came up comparing favorably to the Specialized Roubaix which was on my short list of bikes I was interested in. A buddy on bikejournal has a Serotta in his stable, and it sparked my interest because he is someone who's been riding for 30+ years and knows his bikes. In searching, I found a shop within 30 miles that I didn't even know existed that is a serotta dealer. I also found that Bicyling mag gave the fierte the thumbs up for "plush ride of the year"

I asked around about Serottas with some of my cycling buddies and found out they have an impeccable reputation for making great bike frames. The only negative comments I could find were related to the price, never the quality or workmanship.

I visited the shop, rode a Serotta and I was immediately impressed with the way it rode. It definitely felt better than any of the other bikes I rode, including the titanium Litespeed. I was told when you find the bike you want, you will know it, though I until I rode the Serotta, I had been beginning to doubt I would find that special one ( lol, sounds like romance is in the air) It was what I had been hoping to find in the other bikes I'd tried. It handled so well, very confidently. It felt well balanced. It felt solid and secure but nimble without being twitchy.

And the shop does the custom fitting. I'm new to cycling (my one year anniversary is approaching) and I felt that investing the extra time and money to get a bike that fits me just right and is geared to my riding style is a worthwhile expenditure. Perhaps someone with more experience might not need the special fitting, but it works for me. I feel very confident that this bike will leave me w/none of that nagging feeling of "I wish I had done this or that", Serotta w/their custom fitting for me, had all the bases covered.

The shop treated me well. They were attentive and approachable and never made me feel stupid even though I asked a lot of dumb questions.

Now, I'm off to paint the arrows on the road for our club invitational ride tomorrow.

And I am still waiting for my bike but I was told third week of August...that could be next week, couldn't it?!

Colleen
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills View Post
    I choose the BMC because the frame was just extraordinary. Stiff and responsive like aluminum but as smooth as some of the CFs I tested. It fit perfect and just felt right. Oh, and nobody else has one, around here anyway.
    I finally had a chance to see a BMC Streetfire. Someone brought a red one into the LBS for some adjustments. It was a very attractive bike. Much more so in person than in the pictures I've seen.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's easy. I was buying speed. It worked; I instantly went from being a 2nd-tier rider to one of the fastest in my club. Plus, it was the fastest color: YELLOW.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a Vision Quest, involving peyote and fasting...

OK, no, it was pretty casual. On the principle that your first bike will not be the "perfect" bike I simply decided on a class (compact road frame, "relaxed") and price range. Also planned on getting one used. And I had a pretty good idea of the frame size. First bike I won on eBay or could find on Craigslist that fit the bill would be it. Result was the Giant OCR2. It has worked out quite well. Could just have easily been a Trek Pilot or another of that ilk.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast