User Tag List

My Bikes
    06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Birthday, Another Century

For those of you that have not read my annual birthday century ride report in the past. In August of 2000at the age of 55, I had bypass surgery, was overweight, out of shape, etc, etc. In recovering, I decided that I was going to do everything possible to stay away from the surgeons knife - eat right & exercise.
    I found cycling was the a cardio exercise for me. It took a long time to build up - at first, when someone would invite me to go on a 10 mile ride, I would ask how many rest stops were scheduled.
    My ability improved and on my 60th birtday, I rode the first century and since have ridden one every August 10th. Also, I've been riding about 3,000 miles total per year.
    Today, the event started at 4:06AM and ended at 12:34PM. Saddle time was 6:37 with an average speed of 15.1 MPH. I ride the same route every year so I will have some comparison informantion. The stats are not improving from year to year so I guess that as I get to be a percieved (in my mind) stronger rider, father time comes along and puts me back a place or two.
    Anyway, I feel blessed that at the ripe old age of 63 and a former heart patient, I can do a century and hope that will be able to do it for a while yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Actually, I don't know what is more impressive, doing a century or riding at 4:06 in the morning!

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ I was thinking the same thing! Wonderful accomplishment, jaws!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, baby... you GO
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    January birthday and I can still get by with a Metric for a birthday ride. Previous years it was Offroad but succumbed this year to an easier Road ride. Bu&&er doing a 100 miles just for a birthday though- Well done and remember- A bypass gives you a reconditioned heart- Just a pity it is not quite as good as the original.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan