Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fahrenheit 107..........

We set a new record to day in Columbia, so that's my excuse for only riding thirteen miles.

And no, it's not a dry heat. It's bloody muggy.

It's now 11:20PM and the humidity is down to 41%.
    Last edited by LastPlace; 08-11-07 at 07:38 AM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get out and ride- You will need the practice as It is going to get hotter.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmmm. Do you know something about global warming that I don't?

Today we are getting a break after five days of temps above 100 degrees. Right now it is only 88 and headed for a high of 98 degrees, and the humidity is only 52%.

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm about to freeze. It has dropped to 91 after a high of 102 and the humidity is only 36%. Tomorrow is supposed to be a balmy 102.

Took a 10 mile ride today and the heat was almost unbearable, Still drinking water to make up for sweat.
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart. ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And its going to be what? mid 70's in Sussex today?

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Columbia the country?

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Columbia the country?
    No Colombia the country.
    p.s. high here today 85 and 26% humidity. But it is a dry heat! Oops should not have put that there, I'll be taking that back next January!

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, that eliminates Colombia the country.

That narrows it down to 18 U.S. towns and cities and 7 U.S. counties that are named Columbia.

Or maybe it is Columbia University?

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Okay, that eliminates Colombia the country.

That narrows it down to 18 U.S. towns and cities and 7 U.S. counties that are named Columbia.

Or maybe it is Columbia University?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be Columbia, South Carolina.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dorosz View Post
    And its going to be what? mid 70's in Sussex today?
    Mid 70's and a good stiff breeze coming off the sea to keep the sweat off your brow.-That is on the coast- I know by the side of our pool this afternoon- it will just about get into the 80's. Think I'll ride this evening when it cools down a bit.

We do not get the extreme heat over here very often- But in the 90's and the roads and hills will be clear- Everyone down at the coast getting a suntan.

Spike Milligan

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly the world is turned upside down. It is now mid-August and here in north Texas we have yet to have a day that hit 100 degrees!!! (Maybe today if predictions are correct?) It seemed like it rained every day from mid-May thru July. Something is askew!
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Think I'll ride this evening when it cools down a bit.

We do not get the extreme heat over here very often- But in the 90's and the roads and hills will be clear- Everyone down at the coast getting a suntan.
    How funny to read that you'll wait till it cools down from 80*! Around here 80 is cool for summer!. Some evenings it "cools down" to 100* and we ride anyway.

It's all about acclimation, isn't it?
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    How funny to read that you'll wait till it cools down from 80*! Around here 80 is cool for summer!. Some evenings it "cools down" to 100* and we ride anyway.

It's all about acclimation, isn't it?
    For the UK= 80 is pretty warm. but Only 6 years ago- I did not get a car with air conditioning because the extra cost would not be worth it for 3 or 4 days a year. We now have a couple of months where it would be worthwhile. Summers are still warm- But plenty of rain and winters are warmer with less rain. Now when I went to France- Temps were up in the 90's most of the time. Took one day to adjust liquid intake (And type of liquid) and I was fine.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    For the UK= 80 is pretty warm. but Only 6 years ago- I did not get a car with air conditioning because the extra cost would not be worth it for 3 or 4 days a year. We now have a couple of months where it would be worthwhile. Summers are still warm- But plenty of rain and winters are warmer with less rain. Now when I went to France- Temps were up in the 90's most of the time. Took one day to adjust liquid intake (And type of liquid) and I was fine.
    Everytime we visit England or France the temps are in the 90's We had a Scout troop in 98 that spent a week in East Grinstead at the big Scout/Guide camp there and the next week our family was in London doing the tourist thing around about and that was a 90 plus week. And last year the wife and I spent a week in Bayeaux and a week in Paris and Paris was 90+ the whole time...I of course blame the wife which gets me in no end of trouble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13 miles in that heat is a nice ride, much better than not getting out at all.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It got up to a scorching 78 yesterday, but the low humidty helped

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made the hair brained decision to ride after lunch today. Its almost too hot to sit outside and read a book in the shade. 100 degrees and 38% humidity.

But a cool wave is coming. Its going to only get up to 95 on Thursday.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dorosz View Post
    Everytime we visit England or France the temps are in the 90's We had a Scout troop in 98 that spent a week in East Grinstead at the big Scout/Guide camp there and the next week our family was in London doing the tourist thing around about and that was a 90 plus week. And last year the wife and I spent a week in Bayeaux and a week in Paris and Paris was 90+ the whole time...I of course blame the wife which gets me in no end of trouble
    East Grinstead is 30 minutes away from me. so you may understand some of the hilly routes we take on our rides. 90 in the uk is hot but in France it seems to be the norm- And Paris at 90 is not pleasant. High humidity and air pollution. AND do not go to Paris in August- The whole of France goes on Holiday this month and the reasons the parisiens have 2nd homes up in the mountains is to get away from Paris in August. It stinks.And I do mean the smelly kind.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had a cold snap this weekend. It only got up to 96 today! I went for a MTB ride this afternoon and it was brutally hot and humid. I drained my 70 oz. Camelback and half of a water bottle during my 2 hour ride. Sweat saturated my bandanna and was pouring off the front of my helmet. But I had a good ride and I feel great. I didn't push it as hard as I could, but I didn't really take it easy either. Riding in hot weather isn't the most pleasant thing in the world, but it's not all that bad either.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 08-13-07 at 10:12 AM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, by Wednesday a true cool front is moving in. Wed's high is predicted to be 77, Thur 81, Friday 73(!), and Sat 76. Lows on Thurs & Friday to be 53. I will enjoy it much!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was only 105 here yesterday, triple digits forecast all week. Lovely.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    We set a new record today in Columbia, so that's my excuse for only riding thirteen miles.
    107 degrees Fahrenheit is an important temp. If your body reaches it, you are dead. Your excuse is accepted.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Columbia is known for being one of the hottest spots around.......Congrats on the 107!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 years ago about this time of the year 3 of my buddies and I were playing golf in Sumter, walking and carrying our bags. We knew it was hot and when we got finished we found out it was 105........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast