Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discipline I don't yet have...

Today was to be a recovery ride. Before leaving the house I told myself to just go out and spin for 25 to 30 miles. You know, keep the heart rate at about 50 to 60% of max. Well I was doing fine until a guy crosses in front of me at an intersection and starts heading the same direction I am. We were going about the same speed. Indeed, he was only about 20 yards ahead of me for about four miles. During this four miles I thought, "You could just drop down a gear and blow by him." But, I stopped myself and said, "Whoa, big boy, this is just a recovery ride." Another two miles go by, and I'm thinking, "I'm tired of this guy's jersey. Just shoot past him, leave him in the dust and be done with it." Once again I stop myself and think, "You can do this. You can let him ride his ride and you ride your ride." Well, that lasted for about another half mile, at which point I found myself, dropping down three gears, and cranking by the other rider at over 22 mph. After he was just a speck in my rear view mirror, I eased up and went back to my "recovery ride" mode. When, oh when, will I be able to discipline myself enough to control that competitive beast within? I'm actually serious about this. I'd like someday to mature enough to be able to control the competitive urges.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously the recovery ride was not necessary- so do a real ride next time in which you do need a recovery ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Obviously the recovery ride was not necessary- so do a real ride next time in which you do need a recovery ride.
    Actually, I did need the recovery ride. I had just finished two back to back days of over 90 miles each with a fair amount of climbing on both days. Last night I had a hard time sleeping, and thought an easy recovery day would be sensible, however, I blew that, and suspect I won't sleep all that well tonight either.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    I'd like someday to mature enough to be able to control the competitive urges.
    Why? Why not embrace them? If you had an outlet for your competitive side then you'd find yourself not as eager to take on a stranger and leave him in your dust. You'd welcome your recovery ride and treat it as respectfully as you treat your training rides.

I just finished my first solo Time Trial and can't wait to do another! I had a lot of fun, had a personal best, as well as a revelation -- I like to go fast, and I hate being passed. That only happened once...that's all it took.

Seriously, if you just go out with some like-minded friends and play beat the clock, you might find yourself looking forward to your recovery rides.

(Sidebar: I have a similar problem. I tell myself "Easy ride" and find myself charging full speed ahead, becoming breathless and sweaty, and later wondering why I'm so tired.)
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I did need the recovery ride. I had just finished two back to back days of over 90 miles each with a fair amount of climbing on both days. Last night I had a hard time sleeping, and thought an easy recovery day would be sensible, however, I blew that, and suspect I won't sleep all that well tonight either.
    I'm with Stapfam on this, if your juices are still flowing at that level, then ride with them. A lot of times your body knows better then your brain how much is left in the tank and what its able/willing to put out.

If your so tired your having trouble sleeping then stay out of the saddle for a day, and cross train a bit to break up the chemical memory in your muscles and redirect your energies.

Though I know its hard, any day I'm not in the saddle tends to make me crankier.

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of the poor guy that was trying to stay ahead of you! He was probably relieved when you passed him so that he didn't feel obligated to keep pushing!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to admit that 2 days of 90 miles each day should have required a recovery ride. I only do a recovery ride if there is stiffness in the Body- legs in particular- but if it has been that hard a ride- I would not be able to sit on a saddle for a week.

I did a ride earlier in the year on the Mountain bike and I had not been on it for a while due to the New road thing I had bought. Only a 60 miler but I was not used to those hills offroad and the effort required to get up them. That night I slept like a log and next day the only pain I had was in the small of the back. Went out on the road bike to loosen it up a bit but after 5 minutes on the bike- I felt fine. Only did 15 miles at a gentle pace following the rules of a recovery ride. Next day I woke up and every muscle ached. Took a couple of days before I went on the bike again.

I don't do recovery rides any longer- I just get out a bit more often.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like someday to mature enough to be able to control the competitive urges.
    Why?????

If you want to recover at low speeds, you could get on a trainer and bore yourself to death.

We drop the people who deserve to be dropped. It has nothing to do with us.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awhile back, I was on a big group ride and happened upon two women ambling along on their very nice bikes. A bit of conversation revealed that one of them was a professional mountain bike racer. She was just having a social ride with a friend and didn't seem to even notice the many people passing her. Obviously, she could have ridden the legs off of 99 percent of the people on the ride but she had other priorities.

Someday I'd like to be that secure.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Let's ride to the pub!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the other rider just wanted the view of your tail!

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010 View Post
    Why?????

We drop the people who deserve to be dropped. It has nothing to do with us.
    Why would a person deserve to be dropped? I'm slow, so I'm always dropped on flats and downhill, but I pass a lot of them on the hills. I don't think I have a fast twitch muscle in my body so anyone can drop me. Why do I think that??????? When I played ball in college, we had to run a lot. I was the slowest on the team; however, I could run longer than anyone.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a ride in my area, I will happily oblige your need to drop other riders.

Although even at my slow speeds, I am finding out that I am faster than most bike trail riders. I drop about a good 10-20 times as many people as drop me. A pathetic report on the health of the average American.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could lead to an interesting discussion of what it means to "drop" someone. In the situation you describe would not the person you dropped have to be aware that the game was afoot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dust 'em. Always dust 'em. You can have a slow friendly ride when you're 70.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a perspective from a guy who got dropped.
    I was in the last 10 miles of a century ride on the "Great River Trail" north of La Crosse, WI. My speed was a modest 15 MPH with a Hybrid loaded for overnight stay for double century. The trail is not paved and a bit soggy.
    A biker passed me. Looked like a military type. All muscles, perhaps 50. He is on a light weight Cyclocross bike with perhaps 30 mm tires (I had 38mm).
    I was getting bored and decided to match his speed. 18-20 MPH which is fast on that trail. This went on for several miles. I could tell that I bothered him. I was not drafting, just a few bike lenghts behind. Next I decided to see what happens if I go on my aerobars. Well, I passed him and he seemed to have trouble increasing his steady speed.
    All of a sudden he gets of the saddle and powered up to about 25 MPH and maintained that until he was well ahead.
    I thought, well, if I had my Madone I would give you a run for the money but not with this over 40# Hybrid and recuperating from a nasty bee sting with Benadryl in my blood.
    I think he was a happier man for having me dropped and I was OK with it too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
    I was getting bored and decided to match his speed. 18-20 MPH which is fast on that trail. This went on for several miles. I could tell that I bothered him. I was not drafting, just a few bike lenghts behind.
    This is very rude if you rode behind him like this for more than a few moments. He had the right to ride without a stranger on his tail. You should have either passed him or dropped back as soon as you sensed his discomfort.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie View Post
    This is very rude if you rode behind him like this for more than a few moments. He had the right to ride without a stranger on his tail. You should have either passed him or dropped back as soon as you sensed his discomfort.
    BP- I guess my problem is that it would not bother me. It happens all the time were I go. It is standard procedure that anyone who you pass will follow and see if he can match the speed. That is on MI park roads or seldom traveled trails---not busy MUP's.
    If for some reason I want to bike alone, I stop for an adjustment or snack.
    A little friendly competition makes a boring ride better IMHO. Very often we start talking and become casual friends.
    But, yes, there are a few who take offense and perhaps he was such a one OR he was just bothered that he could not outrun me with a steady increase in speed.

I will keep your point of view in mind for future encounters. I do not wish to create anger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I was so blunt in my critiscism, Will. It's kind of sore point with me...having riders come up behind and pace without taking my feelings into consideration. The culture of cycling in So Cal is so far flung -- you can see dozens and dozens of riders on a given day, and they are all somehow different -- that it's important to respect others in these kinds of situations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were going about the same speed. Indeed, he was only about 20 yards ahead of me for about four miles. During this four miles I thought, "You could just drop down a gear and blow by him."I'd like someday to mature enough to be able to control the competitive urges.

Times like that just scream for a cool water stop. Let the other guy go and regain your composure.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie View Post
    Sorry I was so blunt in my critiscism, Will. It's kind of sore point with me...having riders come up behind and pace without taking my feelings into consideration. The culture of cycling in So Cal is so far flung -- you can see dozens and dozens of riders on a given day, and they are all somehow different -- that it's important to respect others in these kinds of situations.
    BP- I am very aware of our different culture, location and biking style. This is why this forum is valuable. I would not know what you are thinking since I would never meet you in Rockford, IL. It may as well be another planet.
    You are perfectly right that someone may take offence in being followed. Now that you rubbed it in I remember a few unpleasant cases. I will be more sensitive. So thanks for that.

OTOH, I made some friends in these impromptu races, good friends. The mini races became the glue to put us together. I like to say that for every offended guy there were ten not offended.
    Now the ladies is a whole other story. Insecurity comes into play.
    BTW, that may also be a reason for some guys taking offence.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
    Now the ladies is a whole other story. Insecurity comes into play.
    BTW, that may also be a reason for some guys taking offence.
    Insecurity as in guys are insecure when women pass them? Or women are insecure when guys draft their wheel without permission?

Not sure exactly what you mean here...
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Insecurity as in guys are insecure when women pass them? Or women are insecure when guys draft their wheel without permission?

Not sure exactly what you mean here...
    Fair question.
    I need to first describe the environment. It is not a MUP or street or trail. It is a very large park frequented by bikers of all flavors including teams from bike clubs.

In that environment it is accepted by many that passing someone is an invitation for a little competition. As discussed with BP, most bikers accept that in good humour. Male bikers are generally open to a little competitive racing with drafting or not.
    Female bikers is another story. I have not been passed by a solo female biker in many years. However there are female bikers as part of a pace line. It is better to get an understanding with such a pace line than an all male pace line. An all male pace line operates on pure competition. Add some females and other factors come into play. This is just my experience. There are no formal rules.
    And yes, BP is right, once in a while you run into a biker who wants to be left alone. One needs to be aware of that and respect it.
    This is a MI Metropark we are talking about and there are many bikers on this circular road, perhaps as many as 50-100 on a good day.