User Tag List

My Bikes
    Giant Simple 7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First unexpected bike dismount

Was riding in a construction zone so no one was around to laugh or pick up the pieces, depending on how you look at it. Was trying to pop the top on my water bottle with one hand when I looked up to see a stop sign. I instinctively started to stop, the water bottle started to slip, I accidently squeezed too hard on the front brake and presto - unexpected dismount!

All I can say is I landed on my feet, whacked my shin on a pedal, and thanked myself for buying a women's model bike with the top tube parallel to the down tube. It happened so fast I barely had time to think - oh *$^&@#!

No pain, just embarrassment at my clumsiness/inattentiveness. All's well that ends well.

(Yes, I always wear a helmet and gloves.)

Let's ride to the pub!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Rosie!
    May you never hear the sound of the one head smacking.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have often wondered why I keep depressing the top of my water bottle after every drink. I tell myself to not do it, after all, that makes it much easier to get my next drink while riding. But then I go and press it in again.

I've slipped a couple of times this summer while fiddling with my water bottle, but fortunately didn't fall.

Too bad there is no video of your maneuver, because it sounds like it would have been a good one.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Giant Simple 7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks malkin and Tom. I wouldn't mind seeing the video myself. I depressed the top of my bottle while riding across some washboard dirt trail in order to get to some pavement. The water was spraying the front of my pants in a most annoying manner. When I went to flip the top, the whole lid flipped off.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job Rosie! Although I must say I never quite understood the need to drink while actually riding. My first rest stop is at 8.9 mile, next about 18.5. Both at a small stream, in the shade where I dismount and walk around a minute or two. Pull the bottle and unscrew the top to chug a few gulps. Of course it's doubtful I could bend down enough to pull bottle from the cage if I wanted to.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I somewhat agree, although I think we're in the minority. Just look at the sales of Camelback products.

Quote Originally Posted by guybierhaus View Post
    Good job Rosie! Although I must say I never quite understood the need to drink while actually riding. My first rest stop is at 8.9 mile, next about 18.5. Both at a small stream, in the shade where I dismount and walk around a minute or two. Pull the bottle and unscrew the top to chug a few gulps. Of course it's doubtful I could bend down enough to pull bottle from the cage if I wanted to.
    Jim
    Make a BOLD Statement While Cycling!

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was close. I sometimes use my water bottle cage to carry the air horn supply bottle or a fake water bottle trunk. My drink comes from a large camelback because I'm too inept to drink from a bottle while riding.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull up the piece that you drink from on the water bottle with my teeth, and close it after drinking by pushing it against my chin. Don't have to take your eyes off the road that way.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined the club of unexpected dismounts today as well. No damage to me, but the handlebar wrap got bitten into by a concrete wall of a bridge underpass: I was in a downhill slope into an underpass while on the sidewalk, and I didn't want to brake and lose momentum. I saw the loose dirt completely covering the sidewalk, starting at about 25 feet from the bottom of the sidewalk-descent, and figured it was just a light coating of dirt. But as I got closer to the bottom of the sidewalk-descent, the dirt-depth increased to about two inches deep. Note to BFers, if you see the sidewalk completely covered by dirt while engaging an underpass ... slow down!

The tires that lost control were 650B, 33mm width, at about 12 MPH. A bike on 700C 25mm (or skinnier) tires might have had a more disastrous wipe out.

On a positive note ... about five feet ahead of where I finally wiped out, the sidewalk was completely covered with large chunks of a broken 32 Oz beer bottle, which would have ruined my tires.

Rosie's OP is a good segway to hear about how other BFer's joined the first unexpected dismount club.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! I'm glad you both turned out OK.

Rosie: How's your shin?

Motorad: The glass might have been a worse fate.

Last Saturday I had an unintended dismount onto the top tube (which, I now concede, is a bit too high) and scraped the inside of my right calf on the chain ring. The bruise on the calf is still fading but the abrasion is gone.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every water bottle I've owned has the push-pull top that I just leave in the open position. Water doesn't splash out and I don't need the extra step of opening & closing. That said, I managed to fall off my bike 2 months ago while riding very slowly across a park during a festival. A branch jumped into my spokes. My wrist still hurts and I can still feel the bruise on my ankle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie8 View Post
    Was riding in a construction zone so no one was around to laugh or pick up the pieces, depending on how you look at it.
    Ok, I'll do it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA!

Welcome to the club, I usually do mine in front of an audience.
    Those water bottles can be a PIA, like when the top comes off and you get soaked when it's 25 degrees.
    Glad you didn't get hurt.

My Bikes
    Giant Simple 7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Motorad, glad you're okay and didn't suffer ruined tires or a ruined body.

Thanks Yen for the sympathy. My shin looks okay. Took some Advil last night because I started to feel stiff in my back and hands. Feel fine this morning. Be careful out there!

leob1, I don't mind if you laughed. I laughed too once I figured out I wasn't damaged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
    I pull up the piece that you drink from on the water bottle with my teeth, and close it after drinking by pushing it against my chin. Don't have to take your eyes off the road that way.
    Rosie8, glad to hear you lived to fight another day! I use the teeth and chin method when I don't just leave them open. Also, I use the bottles with a threaded lid. I haven't had one of those pop open on me as the other style has.