Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I'm Back! See Mt Lemmon Elevation Profile

    I'm back in just a week but totally exhausted........I drove just shy of 4000 miles since last Sunday 8/5 going to Tucson and back. I put in 4 days of 700-800 miles driving and was on the road for 5 days. I spent the night last night east of Knoxville, Tn and woke up this morning more tired than when I went to sleep. Yuck!!!

    Lots to tell and will do that the next few days.

    Just to peak your interest here is the elevation profile of the Mt Lemmon ride I did NE of Tucson. Just incredible. About 6600-6700' of climbing over 26 miles. Started the ride at around 2500' and went to the top at about 8400'. The views were breathtaking.

    Pics and several stories to follow after I get a little more energy. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I wasn't somewhat fit!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    The Grampster tlc20010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I'm back in just a week but totally exhausted........I drove just shy of 4000 miles since last Sunday 8/5 going to Tucson and back. I put in 4 days of 700-800 miles driving and was on the road for 5 days. I spent the night last night east of Knoxville, Tn and woke up this morning more tired than when I went to sleep. Yuck!!!

    Lots to tell and will do that the next few days.

    Just to peak your interest here is the elevation profile of the Mt Lemmon ride I did NE of Tucson. Just incredible. About 6600-6700' of climbing over 26 miles. Started the ride at around 2500' and went to the top at about 8400'. The views were breathtaking.

    Pics and several stories to follow after I get a little more energy. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I wasn't somewhat fit!!!
    Welcome back, Joe. That climb is ridiculous ...... how long did that 26 miles take?????

    Look forward to your stories and photos.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

  3. #3
    Ride Daddy Ride Jet Travis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Villa Incognito
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Posts
    2,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a stud, jppe.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

  4. #4
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010 View Post
    ...... how long did that 26 miles take?????

    Just looked at the output data from my Garmin and it took me just a shade under 3 hrs to get to the top. I was the slow poke-although I did pass a couple folks and I wasn't really riding too hard since I wasn't familiar with the climb-just tried to keep the heart rate manageable. I could probably do it a little faster and at a much higher tempo but it is a pretty long way up that hill!! Some younger guys came around me and were really flying. It would be fun to have that type of hill in your backyard as there are some great views.........

  5. #5
    Bike Curious.... bobby c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a lot of climbing in a short amount of time - it looks like a pretty consistent grade. Any idea of the %?

    Good job!

  6. #6
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c View Post
    That's a lot of climbing in a short amount of time - it looks like a pretty consistent grade. Any idea of the %?

    Good job!
    Most of it was 5-7%-anyone could do this one if they just took their time. It's very similar to the grades on the Blue Ridge Parkway except I don't think there are any climbs there 20 miles long. Just a really nice uphill ride going 8-10mph. The last two miles got a little steeper but nothing too bad.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NW AR & Central LA
    Posts
    2,659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Most of it was 5-7%-anyone could do this one if they just took their time.
    That profile looks like a real bugger. That's quite an accomplishment.

    I've found your statement to be true for the mountains in our area. Though they are not of the magnitude in the profile, I've found that I can do some fairly long climbs by keeping a sane, steady pace.

    You have, however, left something out. What about the descent? Looks like it should have been fun.

  8. #8
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    10,037
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the way to the top, past the ski-lift? That's the steep part!
    Did you manage to stop near the top in the town of Summerhaven and have some great pie?
    Raced up the Lemmon in 1978; was then the oldest guy in the event (46) and placed third.
    Glad you enjoyed the ride and the views!

  9. #9
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    That profile looks like a real bugger. That's quite an accomplishment.

    I've found your statement to be true for the mountains in our area. Though they are not of the magnitude in the profile, I've found that I can do some fairly long climbs by keeping a sane, steady pace.

    You have, however, left something out. What about the descent? Looks like it should have been fun.
    Except for a squirrel darting in front of me at one point, the descent was really, really enjoyable. No real technical turns and some wonderful views. Not sure how long it took me as I stopped at a couple places on the way down to get some pics but it was probably at least an hour. It was just steep enough where you could comfortably coast or spin your hardest gear to gain a few more mph. Like I said, it would be a really terrific climb to have in your backyard to train on......


    Zona-thanks for the links. I was over in NW Tucson the day I arrived and stopped by Oro Cycles off Ima. Really nice folks that gave me a nice map of the bike routes in the area. It sounded like Kitts Peak would be fun as well.

  10. #10
    Happy Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Posts
    749
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics!!!!!!!!
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

  11. #11
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card View Post
    Pics!!!!!!!!
    Done!! See new post with pics........

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •