Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member SaiKaiTai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Red shorts report

    OK, I'vew figured for a while now that, you know, just a nice teeshirt under a Goretex cycling jacket was fine... I wasn't a real "cyclist" so what did I need a jersey for? besides, they're kind of form-fitting and -let's face it- at 54 and a 20 year couch potato, my form ain't all that yet. But I finally thought, "What the heck, let's try one". I liked it so I bought another jersey and now I'm about to get 2 or 3 more to throw into the rotation. I love 'em.

    But, shorts? No way. I'd feel like a total poseur and besides, I'd feel like something out of The Rutles ("It was the trousers... They're really quite revealing. Left nothing to the imagination..."). No not for me, plus see that comment above about being 54, etc.

    But I just had this nagging little curiosity... everyone says they're the only way to go... so I got my red pair and yesterday I tried 'em out. They are everything people say they are. From the get go, they are comfortable and feel great in the saddle (especially if your saddle is a Brooks ). I just felt like I had more snap in my legs and I was never ever aware of them. They didn't rub me in funny places, they didn't hurt... They made me go faster. I am now ready to buy a couple more to t ry them out. Not sure which ones yet... I guess they don't make XL Blue Monacos anymore. No worries I'll find some to try.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

  2. #2
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,886
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait till you try bibs! Especially if your body is a bit - errr - lumpy.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

  3. #3
    The Grampster tlc20010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    OK, I'vew figured for a while now that, you know, just a nice teeshirt under a Goretex cycling jacket was fine... I wasn't a real "cyclist" so what did I need a jersey for? besides, they're kind of form-fitting and -let's face it- at 54 and a 20 year couch potato, my form ain't all that yet. But I finally thought, "What the heck, let's try one". I liked it so I bought another jersey and now I'm about to get 2 or 3 more to throw into the rotation. I love 'em.

    But, shorts? No way. I'd feel like a total poseur and besides, I'd feel like something out of The Rutles ("It was the trousers... They're really quite revealing. Left nothing to the imagination..."). No not for me, plus see that comment above about being 54, etc.

    But I just had this nagging little curiosity... everyone says they're the only way to go... so I got my red pair and yesterday I tried 'em out. They are everything people say they are. From the get go, they are comfortable and feel great in the saddle (especially if your saddle is a Brooks ). I just felt like I had more snap in my legs and I was never ever aware of them. They didn't rub me in funny places, they didn't hurt... They made me go faster. I am now ready to buy a couple more to t ry them out. Not sure which ones yet... I guess they don't make XL Blue Monacos anymore. No worries I'll find some to try.
    I have two words for you: Chamois Butter

    It is interesting how so many folks use cycling gear, not because it looks neat, but because it makes riding a more pleasant experience. Many happy, pain-free rides!
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

  4. #4
    Senior Member SaiKaiTai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010 View Post
    I have two words for you: Chamois Butter

    It is interesting how so many folks use cycling gear, not because it looks neat, but because it makes riding a more pleasant experience. Many happy, pain-free rides!
    You meant to say "not just because it looks neat", I'm sure, because it surely does.
    Cycling clothes are just so, damn stylish.

    But, bibs? Um, don't know if I'm ready to cross that line.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

  5. #5
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paoli, Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Posts
    9,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now have about 6 pairs of baggy mesh fabric shorts that I've picked up at different stores on sale. I think I've paid something like $40 combined for all of them. And I really like them.

    I do use cycling liners with them, I have Cannondale, Borah, and Andiamo. The Borah's are by far my favorite, and I hate the Andiamos. Have worn them twice and have no plans to ever wear them again, the seams dig right into my thighs and after about 20 miles, it is torture.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

    There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

  6. #6
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,886
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    You meant to say "not just because it looks neat", I'm sure, because it surely does.
    Cycling clothes are just so, damn stylish.

    But, bibs? Um, don't know if I'm ready to cross that line.
    No one knows you are wearing a bib. The jersey covers it all. But they are so comfortable, no rolling down of the top of the short. Anyway, maybe you don't have my "rolling down" problem! Keep them in mind if you do. I bet a lot of folks that you see and you think are wearing shorts are really wearing bibs!
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

  7. #7
    Lincoln, CA Mojo Slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lincoln, CA
    My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Posts
    2,229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride 6000 miles a year. And try to ride 3 - 5 times a week. Or more. My equation: Pay $1 for each mile you want to ride. Century? $100 shorts. I really notice, after the ride, how much better I feel when I ride in good shorts. I like Giordanas. +1 on chamois butter, too. Albeit, I use it much less with the good shorts.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nanaimo.B.C. The We't coast of Canada
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't there a rather imfamous photograph of why one should not wear "red bicycle shorts"? I seem to recall seeing something like that.

  9. #9
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paoli, Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Posts
    9,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No! No! No!

    Don't entice anyone to post that picture again!!

    The burned in image in my mind is just beginning to fade from the last time it was posted.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

    There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    Isn't there a rather imfamous photograph of why one should not wear "red bicycle shorts"? I seem to recall seeing something like that.
    Yes. Devil that I am, I sent it to all my female friends AND my sister.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    No! No! No!

    Don't entice anyone to post that picture again!!

    The burned in image in my mind is just beginning to fade from the last time it was posted.
    If SaiKaitai is thinking about wearing red shorts, I think someone needs to post that photo to make him aware of the embarassing possibilities. I, personally, agree with TB that I don't ever want to see it again, but maybe SaiKaiTai should. Just trying to help.

  12. #12
    Senior Member SaiKaiTai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you get too carried away, these are the red short:
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

  13. #13
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look -If you start off with a Goretex Jacket- There is only one way to go and you have finally made it. I started the other way round- Got the shorts then the top and it took a good few years before I got the Goretex. Now all you need are the cycling specific socks and you will be there. (They do these in blue by the way- But you might aswell stay with red now you have started that way) AND to re-inforce Dnvrfx Those Bib shorts are fantastic. Not as tight round the waist so will allow for a 3rd portion of pie if you make the ride long enough.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  14. #14
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Yes. Devil that I am, I sent it to all my female friends AND my sister.
    I've searched for that picture so if you can post it here again it might warn off DG on the white shorts.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  15. #15
    Senior Member Terrierman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SWMO
    Posts
    3,141
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do know that solid black is much more slimming don't you?

    And if that's not enough, consider:

    I'm still having a hard time even visualizing red shorts on that beautiful blue (not white) bike. Seems like I remember that the human eye/brain cannot focus on both colors at once and has to jump back and forth. Maybe that is why I can't quite see it....
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    Before you get too carried away, these are the red short:
    OK, Never mind. In fact, I like them. What brand are they?

  17. #17
    Senior Member SaiKaiTai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    You do know that solid black is much more slimming don't you?

    And if that's not enough, consider:

    I'm still having a hard time even visualizing red shorts on that beautiful blue (not white) bike. Seems like I remember that the human eye/brain cannot focus on both colors at once and has to jump back and forth. Maybe that is why I can't quite see it....
    I can't tell you what it looked like either, but I went faster. Good enough for me
    Oh, and I just ordered another pair of shorts (!)... Pearl Izumi Attacks from Performance. All black.

    Swan652 - those are Cannondale Monacos. Got 'em from Nashbar.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

  18. #18
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paoli, Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Posts
    9,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone must see why you don't want to wear red cycling shorts, here's a link to a small version of "the picture."

    I'll spare posting this in image format, so that only the brave and foolish can choose to follow the link

    http://cucinatestarossa.blogs.com/we...e_shorts_1.jpg

  19. #19
    Senior Member SaiKaiTai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhhh, that picture. No, not for me. Uh-uh.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

  20. #20
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swan652 View Post
    If SaiKaitai is thinking about wearing red shorts, I think someone needs to post that photo to make him aware of the embarassing possibilities. I, personally, agree with TB that I don't ever want to see it again, but maybe SaiKaiTai should. Just trying to help.
    I think I posted it recently in the Post that Never Ends...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I've searched for that picture so if you can post it here again it might warn off DG on the white shorts.
    Hmmm...I must have deleted it from my stuff somewhere along the way. Imagine that!
    Glad TB and DG furnished some info. This could be a great teaching tool.

  22. #22
    Senior Member dorosz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Bend, In
    My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    If anyone must see why you don't want to wear red cycling shorts, here's a link to a small version of "the picture."

    I'll spare posting this in image format, so that only the brave and foolish can choose to follow the link

    http://cucinatestarossa.blogs.com/we...e_shorts_1.jpg

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Swan652 - those are Cannondale Monacos. Got 'em from Nashbar".

    Thanks.

  24. #24
    Ride Daddy Ride Jet Travis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Villa Incognito
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Posts
    2,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]No one knows you are wearing a bib. COLOR]
    We'll know.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

  25. #25
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    If anyone must see why you don't want to wear red cycling shorts, here's a link to a small version of "the picture."

    I'll spare posting this in image format, so that only the brave and foolish can choose to follow the link

    http://cucinatestarossa.blogs.com/we...e_shorts_1.jpg
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •